• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz second card for DAZ?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I am wondering how much i gain if i add another card to my computer.
Currently i have a RTX3060 and i browser DAZ forum a little.
So essentially someone said, you could add to a 2070 a newer card. I know that my card hasn't SLI. So they would be independent of each other.
But does DAZ count them by their CUDA?
This would be of course something cheap and not studio quality but if it helps to speed up renders, why not.
This isn't urgent or anything but just a thought.

Whats you opinion? Do you have a setup like that?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Before I bought my 3090 I rocked a 1070 and 2070 in combo without issue. Both cards where rendering. I feel like this made my renders faster but I must confess I never really tested it fully.
Biggest issue for me was getting rid of the heat of two graphics cards.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Before I bought my 3090 I rocked a 1070 and 2070 in combo without issue. Both cards where rendering. I feel like this made my renders faster but I must confess I never really tested it fully.
Biggest issue for me was getting rid of the heat of two graphics cards.
So that sounds like it works actually.
I don't won't lie. I was thinking being cheap but still have some more power. I can't afford the new fancy cards. So if i see something reasonable priced but older, i may add that to my setup.
I wish i could buy a 3090 but thats a dream for me at my current situation.
Thanks for sharing.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
yeah it was a bit of a splurge for me too. I bought one of the last new ones when the 40-series was already out. It was a lot cheaper than when they launched.
But going the second hand route could save more money than buying new.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
yeah it was a bit of a splurge for me too. I bought one of the last new ones when the 40-series was already out. It was a lot cheaper than when they launched.
But going the second hand route could save more money than buying new.
I have an old Radeon 480 card and though it worked it had some issues. I wished i could actually repair it as it still not a bad card. Useless for Daz though.
When i was young, most cards were easy to understand. Now the naming of cards is very confusing. I don't get it anymore. So many variations and sometimes worst then previous cards.
Anyway, i am glad i asked. I think i will aim for a 2070 to supplement my setup. They seem to be not too expensive.
Are these still used for Bitcoins?

terryeon

Aug 9, 2017
You can buy a dock that connects to your PC so you can house a graphics card externally. Keep your current setup and add the card externally just to render. Don't run your display or anything from it and allow daz to fully use it to render (Select it from which GPU to use). Just having your monitor on a GPU kills it's power slightly after all. I actually run a card game from around 2001 that switches over to a 480 res and it boosts rendering speed due to that reason. You can probably get most of the knowledge about this from looking up external graphic card information for laptops as I guess gamers use them on laptops to powerup and the fact that heat isn't generated in a laptop so no burning yourself. Can buy an actual case they house inside or a flat board with a PCI slot on it that just sits on your table depending on your needs.

Also, apparently someone did some benchmarks for you for daz. Some are missing such as the RTX 3060 but they have the RTX 3060 Ti (TI is 8 gig a bit more power and non-TI is 12 gig with a bit less power). Sadly they also don't mention brands or OCing specs. Though I have always been very happy with ASUS GPU lines having good fans like STRIX and TUF as they do well benchmark wise to other brands and their fans last many years without issue for me.