silverfur3

Jul 13, 2019
Can someone explain to me why is it so difficult to make a few sprite pictures and give them least amount of animation and release it. I see artist pumping art every 3 days let alone 3 months for 2 scenes wtf??? Am I stupid or something.

Reactions: vireker

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Can someone explain to me why is it so difficult to make a few sprite pictures and give them least amount of animation and release it. I see artist pumping art every 3 days let alone 3 months for 2 scenes wtf??? Am I stupid or something.
You know when your boss goes "I don't get it, you're just welding metal. There are machines that can do this. Why does it take you a full day?" or "You're just adding a button to this program, why do you need meetings and designers and a week just to do this?" or "All you do is flip burgers. Why do you need to call in sick? Anyone can do this job." That's pretty much what you just said. Why it takes so long isn't something that can be explained to people that's never done it and for them to believe it. Hell, I'm a programmer and I did art but I've never made a game. And even from what my perspective, it should take a long time.

If you really want to understand, try modding the game. Add a whole new character with their own story and dialogue and all that, like say Mystique, into the game without breaking the game. Someone else already did it so you wouldn't even make all the art assets. It's not like the game is compiled or encoded. You can literally do this with a text editor. See how long it takes you. I'll bet, unless you're cutting corners or not sleeping, it'll take a lot longer than 3 days.

Ssato243

Feb 2, 2021
Also his code his messy af
I rember there was a mod that try but saw the code they abandoned the mod to try crate a new game witout the pasta Oni did

Exocrine

May 12, 2023
I would also like an explanation. Everyone says that it's actually because of the coding itself. It's so bad, it takes several months before it can even be released -- in whatever current alpha stage it happens to be in. But I don't have an explanation for the art however.

Ssato243

Feb 2, 2021
I would also like an explanation. Everyone says that it's actually because of the coding itself. It's so bad, it takes several months before it can even be released -- in whatever current alpha stage it happens to be in. But I don't have an explanation for the art however.
The Oni code is notorious about every time soe wants to add something or edit they need to look a the code ot is like it is fighting you try to add or edit the code it is like a pasta thet dosent want to boil no matter any heat you try

Ssato243

Feb 2, 2021
Also look at the cheat mod the modders that tried also saod o lt would take weeks to try to find the bug code for this and change your code to fix or even monthea

Ssato243

Feb 2, 2021
Even modders don't know if Oni will fix his codes or not some even left this game to try thir on game with a code they will work. With like the null or the extended mode they try to reverse engineer but I don't how much

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Exocrine

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Look, I'll be honest. The code for this game is a mess. But here's the thing. It's not that much more of a most than most Ren'Py games. I've definitely seen worse and I've seen better. In fact, the better ones are either games that a) a lot more simple b) that hired an actual programmer c) just starting out. This game is old. Not like "Oh, this is so last generation." But the older a code base is, the more likely you'll get cluttered code among other things. This is why the Y2K bug was such a problem and they had to find people that knew COBOL in the late 90's to fix the issue. This is one of the reasons why MS abandoned the core for the Windows NT line of operating systems. To the common people, code is just code. You write it, it works, and you're done. But coding and programming is a whole cycle. You have to worry about organization, speed, efficiency, upgrades, code fixes, resource management, connectivity, error handling and a whole bunch more that I don't remember off the top of my head at the moment (security, attack vectors, compatibility, set theory, resiliency... I can keep going on).

If Oni's not a programmer when he started the game, the code's gonna get cluttered. In fact, a code base that runs after, close to 10 years for a first time programmer is pretty good. People can shit on his code and I can understand why. But as a programmer, I know that most people, including the ones shitting on the code, if they were to make something that has lasted close to 10 years would do just as bad or worse. I mean, look at Big Brother or Corruption or Witch Trainer Silver (The original/Akabur's code wasn't bad. But the game play was also much simpler) or Innocent Witches. All those version 1 version 2 stories in Innocent Witches? It's partially done because the code couldn't have been changed without messing things up. AKA, bad code. And Innocent Witches has a team behind it.

Like, there's a way to fix this so that it is easier to get updates and be less buggy, but it requires a completely new way of thinking and coding than Oni, or, quite frankly, most non-coders think. And that refactoring takes time. Like, a lot of time. And he probably can't spare the time/energy/etc. for it. Hell, most large companies don't either.

If you want to learn more, read up on the software development cycle, technical debt and then read up about how many large, very large companies frequently ignore technical debt until it blows up in their faces. I've literally seen entire companies fail due to this. And, in one case, someone even took their own life over it.

Addendum: I wanted to give a shout out to the ren'py game that's programmed better than most other ren'py games. Like WAAAAY better. https://f95zone.to/threads/vae-victis-khan-conquer-ravish-breed-v0-10-9-doorknob22.74639/
Not only is the game itself good, but the code is well organized, human read-able and even going through actual refactoring to prevent future problems. I'm not saying all games need to have this level of coding, but I think it should be noted and appreciated when it does.

Last edited:

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Also look at the cheat mod the modders that tried also saod o lt would take weeks to try to find the bug code for this and change your code to fix or even monthea
Well, short of SLDR's cheat enabler. That code is clean and impressive especially considering it's written for command prompt on windows.

Ssato243

Feb 2, 2021
Look I know but as a QA tester I don't shit much on this you know this game is old also oeven a decolpmwnt hell of codes so

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Look I know but as a QA tester I don't shit much on this you know this game is old also oeven a decolpmwnt hell of codes so
Oh, nothing I said was directed at you personally. I'm using the "you" in the general sense. Programming is one of those professions that people think is easy that they can just go to a "coding boot camp" and suddenly they're a coder. It's also something people think it's easy and thus, not needed or can be skimped out on...until shit starts hitting the fan, that is.

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Yeo I wish he will be back but idont know
I can maintain it if he doesn't. If you look, I'm the one that's been trying to provide tech support for it for other people. I'm also the one that wrote a linux version. But the last time it needed an update, he did pop back in to update it. It was quick and simple. That's the power of good coding.

Reactions: Ssato243

Ssato243

Feb 2, 2021
I can maintain it if he doesn't. If you look, I'm the one that's been trying to provide tech support for it for other people. I'm also the one that wrote a linux version. But the last time it needed an update, he did pop back in to update it. It was quick and simple. That's the power of good coding.
he is a fast I remember he left because it is alpha

4.40 star(s) 145 Votes