Ren'Py Reverse languages

• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

WetMelonPlay

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2021
Hey, everybody. My game is originally written in Russian. There is a translation into English.

I want to translate it into other languages. When creating lines of translation into other languages, renpy creates lines:

Python:
translate portugal strings:
    old “Отмена”
    new “”
The translator I want to work with knows English.
So I would like renpy to create strings such as:

Python:
translate portugal strings:
    old “Cancel”
    new “””
Are there any ways in which this problem can be solved? I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter this problem.

UPD

I found an extremely “crude” solution. Using Spanish as an example. Maybe it will help someone.

1. In the /tl folder, copy the contents of the folder with the English translation to the folder with the planned translation. For example, /tl/spanish
2. Delete all files with the extension .rpyc in the /spanish folder and leave only .rpy.
3. open each file in the /spanish folder and through replacement (control+H) change “english” to “spanish” everywhere. In each file.
4. Give the translator to translate the files from the tl/spanish folder, where he simply replaces the English line with a Spanish one.

Yes, this is probably not the most elegant solution, but it's still a solution.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Are there any ways in which this problem can be solved?
No. At least not directly through Ren'Py.
You need to write, then run, a code that would take the translation from the English files, then edit the other translation file to inject it in place of the original texts.

I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter this problem.
You aren't, and so far people solved the issue by making their game in English, and having their native language as a translation.

WetMelonPlay

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2021
You aren't, and so far people solved the issue by making their game in English, and having their native language as a translation.
The net is full of similar requests on different forums, but I haven't found a “normal” solution to the problem there. Perhaps someone here knows.

I have an idea to do it via Renxel ( ). But there are some nuances there too.
That's why I wanted to know other people's experience.

Reactions: osanaiko