• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

"Return of Man" - Dev Thread

joni2k

Nov 14, 2018
So after a whole lot of work I'm finally nearing a playable demo for my lewd anthro SRPG, tentatively titled "Return of Man". This demo will set up the story and first couple of characters, it will contain a tutorial battle and an animated sex scene.

As of now, the demo is coming along quite well - I have the combat system and tutorial dungeon finished, as well as a visual novel-style dialogue system. The biggest thing still missing is the sex scene, and other than that it's just small adjustments and polish. Maybe it's a bit late to be making a dev thread, but I wanted to be at a point where I can be certain I'll actually be finishing and putting out that demo

Gameplay-wise the game will be a turn-based dungeon crawling SRPG, featuring procedurally generated dungeons with xp, loots, and sexy outfits to be gained for your characters. Characters will each have a class, and they'll learn various special moves as they level up. There'll be several (5<x<10 probs) party members to form your party of four from.

Lewd-wise, all the content will be hmofa (human male on female anthro). Eventual tags will include harem, pregnancy, and group sex, along with the usual ones. The game will use an in-engine mesh deformation animation system ("'Live2d'"). This'll make animation variants easy for me to create and lightweight, along with an overall reduction in file size. My current plan is for each party member to have at least one special scene unique to them, but other than that all party members will be available in an interactive "intimacy system" - here you'll be able to select from a few positions, alter the speed and force of thrusting, as well as "touch" and dress/undress the characters and see, hear and read how they react - I plan to have voice acting for moans and such, while the comments they make will be in text. With the help of the in-engine animation system, you'll be able to dress the characters up in sexy outfits for the scenes, and pregnant versions will be available as well. Another advantage is that group sex scenes will be trivial to make, and make work with any choice of characters, compared to having pre-rendered animations, and I have several planned.

I'll leave you with a link to my twitter, a screenshot of a mostly finished combat system, and an invitation to ask any questions you might have on your mind in this thread. The first demo will hopefully release in a few weeks. I'll be setting up a patreon once that happens, but until then, I'll make any longer updates to this thread, and shorter updates on twitter.
Thanks!

screenshot6150.png

Last edited:

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
It seems something like h fire emblem, isn't it?
Anyway, i don't play unfinished games, so maybe if you finish it and i still alive i could try it xD
Good luck

joni2k

Nov 14, 2018
Something like that yeah, though I'd say theres JRPG and roguelite influences as well
Well I'll see you in a few years time then ^^ Thanks

joni2k

Nov 14, 2018
screenshot7088.png

Finished the dialogue system, for dumping a bunch of text on the player. Honestly the game won't be very wordy at all, but I still need this system for cutscenes such as the intro. Besides that, I plan to have "campfire conversations" where every time your party rests, there'll be a bit of back and forth between the party. I hope it'll be a nice way to get the player to know their party members, without big exposition dumps.

The character in this screenshot is Morgaine, a sorceress responsible for bringing the player character into furryland. She's presented as the antagonist of the story, and the first sex scene will also be with her, a handjob (as is tradition).

Other than that I've been working on the music side of things, (mostly) finishing the two tracks that'll be in the demo, and also writing a manager that lets me fade the tracks in, out, or into each other, and match the changes in music with the dialogue or gameplay events.

So now all that's left is some small additions to the script (Had to read through it multiple times while testing the dialogue system, and started seeing room for improvement lol), and the sex scene, on which I've done some preliminary work. Then it's just a matter of wrapping it all up into a complete demo where one thing follows the other as it should. I don't know whether I'll run into difficulties while animating, but right now the demo feels on track to release in a week or so.

Reactions: RedPillBlues

joni2k

Nov 14, 2018
Capture.JPG
Progress is being made, but it's slower than I'd like. To animate the image later I need to have each body part on it's own layer, and working like this takes a lot of time - Maybe partially because I haven't developed a process for it yet. I usually work on less than 10 layers, and right now I'm at well over 150... Morgaine's design being kinda complicated in places isn't helping either, I got the fishnets looking allright but man... let's say I won't be putting them on any other characters. Anyway, still a bunch work to be done before the scene is finished. Last time I said the demo would be out in a week, and now, a week later, I'd estimate it's around a week away. We'll see how it goes lol

joni2k

Nov 14, 2018
MorgaineHJPromo.png
It's the weekly update in which release is pushed back by another week!
Animating has been progressing without a hitch, and it's been pretty fun to work on. Almost all the art assets needed for the scene are done, as are two animation loops. The scene will have three animation loops, with a few variations, and two non-looping animations (undressing and cumshot). I still need to decide how I'm going to animate the cumshot at the end, and make the related assets. Other than that I need to make a few more animations for the scene, procure some sound effects for it, and then it's just a matter of putting everything together. Just one more week.....

joni2k

Nov 14, 2018
Well here it is, at long last.
I'd be grateful if you shared your thoughts and feedback on the game. In particular I'd like to know if the combat difficulty seemed allright to you.
I'll make a proper thread for the game a bit later, now that there's something that can be played.