RenPys with 32bit version crash

Tagfalter

Jul 26, 2017
cold_arctus as I mentioned, the internal Security didnt alert me. Yea saw that and that aint the problem. But who knows. Maybe some iffy line in the code that backstabs my setup.

S.O.M. - you did read my speccs, sicne you replied to me. "32 bit systems"... my hardware would not run on 32bit - not even the RAM, since 32bit caps at 8GB. Hence I wouldn't even be able to use 32bit - that is why I asked, since your statement seemed rather - sorry to be that honest - dumb. My components are running on stable builds. And "check opengl" does not even make sense.
And again: An error does not have to be user-sided. Check the link cold_arctus posted to see for yourself. It's not like I am the only one not being able to run those game. Which btw is obsolete since the dev is fixing it.
I am not trying to be offensive, but you sound like one of those people trying to look helpful, while they just half-assed repeat what others wrote somewhere. Please just stop. I try to be as polite as I can, but you are simply wasting my time. You are saying yourself that the dev did not fully fix it, yet you imply my hard- / software is the problem. I will not reply to you again and rather waste my time elsewhere.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
By the ahrdware I listed you would guess Win10, wouldnt you?

I'll check there, thanks
any window can run on any hardware as long there are drivers that supports it but I wasn't talking about hardware in the first place I was talking about software related with windows

Tagfalter

Jul 26, 2017
"any window can run on any hardware as long there are drivers that supports it" is just plain wrong, since 32bit systems are hardcapped on what they can handle.xp had a softcap at 3.25GB ram, and a hardcap at 4gb. but i get what you are trying to say.

But yea, I am using Win10, no AV, internal Security system doesnt block it.

Dev is aware of the situation and this topic has somewhat become a "it's your hardware!"-thing due to that guy (not you, rayminator).
Can sadly just wait for a real fix :)

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
But yea, I am using Win10, no AV, internal Security system doesnt block it.
It depends on the game and which Ren'Py version dev used. If it is 7.4.0 or 7.4.1 the issue might be persistent while it got fixed in 7.4.2. Apparently some files for Google's ANGLE renderer for Windows build were missing in previous versions, which were added in 7.4.2. ( )

1612614143282.png

The latest update of JOHN was compiled with Ren'Py 7.4.2 and does not run for many people on different system (Windows 7/8/8.1/10) regardless of the systems architecture.

Many people went on and used a workaround by copying the game's "game" folder into the old or into another game folder, compiled with Ren'Py 7.3.5 (using the old software renderer provided by Ren'Py).

I tried to run JOHN on my VM with Windows 10 x64 installed and the game didn't launch. It starts to load, the game's window pops-up, but then close immediately. I tried both executable files (.exe/-32.exe) - same result. From the log file I saw that Ren'Py tried to use GL renderer by accessing ANGLE dll from LibEGL.dll.

As recommended by PyTom to launch the game by pressing and holding shift key (left or right doesn't matter) to access the "Graphics Acceleration" menu, I was able to choose a different renderer. I tried them all. GL and GLES renderer (OpenGL/ES) didn't work, but ANGLE/ANGLE2 did. So, after selecting ANGLE/ANGLE2 I tried to run both executable files again and the game launched without shutting down.

1612617665346.png

Possible solutions for Devs and players:
- Make sure your AV or security software do not block or delete files from the lib folder during or after extracting.
- Trying a different renderer from the "Graphics Acceleration" menu by pressing and holding shift key during game launch.
- Recompile/port game to latest stable Ren'Py version 7.4.2.
- Extracting a fresh copy of the game on your desktop (to avoid read/write problems) and trying above solutions again.

Tagfalter

Jul 26, 2017
Thanks arctus, I will try the renderer-swap next time I encounter the problem :) Honestly did not find the post about that - probably it's somewhere right-into-my-face-ish.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks arctus, I will try the renderer-swap next time I encounter the problem :) Honestly did not find the post about that - probably it's somewhere right-into-my-face-ish.
It is mentioned here at the end of the post:

There is no guaranty that switching renderer will work, but giving a try won't hurt either.

Ra87

Aug 16, 2018
I have the same problem, since we started putting the .64 and .32 executables in the same folder for games, apart from rare exceptions, they no longer work for someone like me who uses a 32-bit Windows 7 Pro system.

What I am asking considering that it is a widespread problem is: Do not put the two executables together. Make them separate if you really need a 64-bit version of your game.

If there is any other way to solve the problem, thank you in advance