Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

T. Jin

Apr 3, 2022
Hey guy's I'm pretty new on this. I mean a total noob.
I just want to remove this text background from the game as it's really uncomfortable to play. It should be a a transparent box so that I could focus on the picture more instead of this black box.
And I btw I want to change it on android. I liked playing on android cuz it's comfortable.

Game name.. I'm in heaven. Ep. 1

So helper's pls kindly guide me ...
Explaining it on step by step could be really helpfull. Thanks.

I already downloaded the game. And did convert it into zip. The problem is... After that I have no idea on how to progress.
Text box is not cooded. It's on image.
Ex like.. x-textbox.png.

thetaprime

Jun 26, 2022
There are instructions with Penfold Mole's text box modifier that I followed for making the text border a little wider or thinner by changing a parameter in y_outline.rpy. However, there is also text in a game I am playing that has no game character assigned to it. In the games dialogue code for example it could be just "Hi there" when an unknown person walks up off screen. In the game there will be no character name next to this text. The border setting I tweaked in this mod does not affect this text, so it could end up as white text on a white background.

Anyone following this: Is there another line in y_outline.rpy that can be tweaked for this, or a line that I could add myself to also give this text a border? If Penfold Mole is out there especially
any help is appreciated.

Oct 11, 2018
Thanks for the mode. Any idea on how I could add auto text fade ? meaning after X seconds text fades. It reapers if I roll back in/out.

That wd be awesome because I spend all the time hiting H

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Penfold Mole got a question. I've been using your mod like my life depended on it. However, not being that great with both Ren'Py and Python, I ran into a weird thing with My Best Deal. Because I also tend to use walkthrough mods where possible, I had to change the X in the init X statements ( both the regular and the python one) to a number above 1000... mostly because some mods also use these statements with a value of 999, resulting in either the quick menu or some exception not showing up as I want to.

Now for some reason beyond my grasp, in MBD if the value is anything higher than 999, the textbox becomes visible again in this game. Set it to 999 and bam it's transparent.

This is the first game where I ran into this oddity... any idea why this seems to be a tipping point for this game?
Too bad the if config.name == ... can't be used to use game specific init X's

Last edited:

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
Main features:
  • universal = works in most Ren'Py games
  • easy to add = extract to the root folder of the game*
  • easy to remove = two files to delete (y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc) in the subfolder named "game"
* where the executable file of the game is

Original game:
View attachment 92448
( by Likesblondes)

View attachment 143424
( by Daniels K)

Patched game:
up to v2.4.x
View attachment 92449

v2.5 and up
View attachment 143425

Known problems:

A temporary solution for the incompatibility problem implemented in v2.4.10
A permanent solution found for the hidden/inactive/missing quick menu problem and implemented in v2.6. Just hit Alt+m in case quick menu is hidden and it should appear. In case it doesn't, please let me know about it.
  1. Incompatibility of the patch v2.4.7 and newer with older versions of Ren'Py (older than v6.99.14).
    What does it mean?
    If the game is made with a Ren'Py SDK older than v6.99.14, the game will crash with the transparency patch v2.4.7 and newer.
    What is the solution to the problem?
    In case after adding my patch to the game the game will crash with an error message:
    File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 157: u'pagekeys' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the viewport statement.
    Then you can use the
  2. In case quick menu is hidden in some games and after applying transparency patch v2.5 v2.6 or newer it won't appear when you hit (repeatedly) Alt+Shift+M Alt+m, you may have to save the game once and then load that save. This should activate quick menu.
    set
    $ suppress_overlay = False
    $ quick_menu = True
    manually via console. Starting a new game sometimes also works.

The boring stuff:

Some time ago I made a patch for myself to remove the dialog box background from Ren'Py games and a little later thought that some users here may like it, too. So I posted it in one of the game threads first, then added a link to my sig, but I didn't think that it would deserve a separate thread here.

Now I created this thread only to make getting feedback from users easier. Especially because I started to add game-specific overrides to my patch now and I'd like to keep it all in one place.

One important request:

Please, let me know about the games where my patch isn't working or creates problems and I'll try to take a look at them and find a way to fix it.

TL/DR: (read when you're stuck or have questions)

This is the important part of the current README file of my patch:

Changelog:

In case you have trouble with the newest patch version, please let me know about it and try to use v2.4.12

Download: attachment here

v2.6.3 hash:
MD5: 9653DFB853837ED149C525027F5904BE
SHA-1: B88FDB636DBCFABFA0272FF1269B425C1A316F45
SHA-256: 00B7740338392A5D396A807D312C5335E1BFB97A3567CB73F53E35C5A526CB8F
SHA-384: 64611D2A14E22F1FF8BD9BC4B6BF93C3429AD331E5B46CF064D6AFF82EEC4F4CE4B618EE7C19C509289D531FF8E9EC48

hash:
MD5: ADD0D15AB681EC02A18D121EC49E2F3F
SHA-1: A9EA3385A18F531B2F3C9DEB6EF04F1B4A7CFFDA
SHA-256: CE1391ADF62182E864B2AE2C384AC41460FA6ABE800453D2D3284496F9F3FC2F
SHA-384: 545E8CCABF57636E9B043E2E64EB84ECACADA93807C0EBF2D7414067B3635474E20A54D43DF3AE2A029DCEBCEDC83C4B

Added a for restoring Ren'Py keymap in games where it's been partially disabled or messed up. It was made specifically for the Chasing Sunsets game, but works as well for other Ren'Py games.
Thank you so much, I really dislike the text boxes. I am wondering if there is a way to remove annoying character images next to the text? sometimes these images can be ridiculously huge (character images that show who is speaking or thinking).
Corrupted Kingdoms has trully horrible text along with ataegina or whatever it is called. I was using a seperate mod called Tweak Font, it would be so much easier if your mod could change the text to normal renpy or something. I think I have a few games that I need to test this latest version on, because I actually had quite a few renpy games where the mod did some weird things to the game.

Last edited:

Stellaashgreninja

Feb 7, 2023
Main features:
  • universal = works in most Ren'Py games
  • easy to add = extract to the root folder of the game*
  • easy to remove = two files to delete (y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc) in the subfolder named "game"
* where the executable file of the game is

Original game:
View attachment 92448
( by Likesblondes)

View attachment 143424
( by Daniels K)

Patched game:
up to v2.4.x
View attachment 92449

v2.5 and up
View attachment 143425

Known problems:

A temporary solution for the incompatibility problem implemented in v2.4.10
A permanent solution found for the hidden/inactive/missing quick menu problem and implemented in v2.6. Just hit Alt+m in case quick menu is hidden and it should appear. In case it doesn't, please let me know about it.
  1. Incompatibility of the patch v2.4.7 and newer with older versions of Ren'Py (older than v6.99.14).
    What does it mean?
    If the game is made with a Ren'Py SDK older than v6.99.14, the game will crash with the transparency patch v2.4.7 and newer.
    What is the solution to the problem?
    In case after adding my patch to the game the game will crash with an error message:
    File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 157: u'pagekeys' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the viewport statement.
    Then you can use the
  2. In case quick menu is hidden in some games and after applying transparency patch v2.5 v2.6 or newer it won't appear when you hit (repeatedly) Alt+Shift+M Alt+m, you may have to save the game once and then load that save. This should activate quick menu.
    set
    $ suppress_overlay = False
    $ quick_menu = True
    manually via console. Starting a new game sometimes also works.

The boring stuff:

Some time ago I made a patch for myself to remove the dialog box background from Ren'Py games and a little later thought that some users here may like it, too. So I posted it in one of the game threads first, then added a link to my sig, but I didn't think that it would deserve a separate thread here.

Now I created this thread only to make getting feedback from users easier. Especially because I started to add game-specific overrides to my patch now and I'd like to keep it all in one place.

One important request:

Please, let me know about the games where my patch isn't working or creates problems and I'll try to take a look at them and find a way to fix it.

TL/DR: (read when you're stuck or have questions)

This is the important part of the current README file of my patch:

Changelog:

In case you have trouble with the newest patch version, please let me know about it and try to use v2.4.12

Download: attachment here

v2.6.3 hash:
MD5: 9653DFB853837ED149C525027F5904BE
SHA-1: B88FDB636DBCFABFA0272FF1269B425C1A316F45
SHA-256: 00B7740338392A5D396A807D312C5335E1BFB97A3567CB73F53E35C5A526CB8F
SHA-384: 64611D2A14E22F1FF8BD9BC4B6BF93C3429AD331E5B46CF064D6AFF82EEC4F4CE4B618EE7C19C509289D531FF8E9EC48

hash:
MD5: ADD0D15AB681EC02A18D121EC49E2F3F
SHA-1: A9EA3385A18F531B2F3C9DEB6EF04F1B4A7CFFDA
SHA-256: CE1391ADF62182E864B2AE2C384AC41460FA6ABE800453D2D3284496F9F3FC2F
SHA-384: 545E8CCABF57636E9B043E2E64EB84ECACADA93807C0EBF2D7414067B3635474E20A54D43DF3AE2A029DCEBCEDC83C4B

Added a for restoring Ren'Py keymap in games where it's been partially disabled or messed up. It was made specifically for the Chasing Sunsets game, but works as well for other Ren'Py games.
How to apply the patch in android version?

The ArcKnight

Nylon enthusiast, Harem enjoyer.
Donor
May 19, 2018
The new VN by FF creations has atrocious fonts, using GideonRoman of all fonts.
https://f95zone.to/threads/far-off-friends-v0-4-ffcreations.120403/
How can I change this to use something default and simple like Arial or Comic Sans?

Edit: Holy crap I figured it out. By copying your code for "Life" and just replacing the name... Huzzah!
Can I do the same to add font shadows ect?

Last edited:

keisezr

Jan 26, 2020
how can I make text smaller or invisible please is there is any mod to do that .
i want to do that in. a wife and mother

keisezr

Jan 26, 2020
Hey guy's I'm pretty new on this. I mean a total noob.
I just want to remove this text background from the game as it's really uncomfortable to play. It should be a a transparent box so that I could focus on the picture more instead of this black box.
And I btw I want to change it on android. I liked playing on android cuz it's comfortable.

Game name.. I'm in heaven. Ep. 1

So helper's pls kindly guide me ...
Explaining it on step by step could be really helpfull. Thanks.

I already downloaded the game. And did convert it into zip. The problem is... After that I have no idea on how to progress.
Text box is not cooded. It's on image.
Ex like.. x-textbox.png.
did you put it in game folder?

keisezr

Jan 26, 2020
I have this code that I modified, in the games that I tested, I managed to change the opacity and the font size, the only problem is that this code replaces the entire game option, if the original game has more options, the mod will replace everything, I wanted know if there's a way to improve it

before
View attachment 2064976

later

View attachment 2064977

View attachment 2064979
View attachment 2064980
hello how to use this file please tell what should I name this?

Mharryson69

May 22, 2022
Thanks for your Mod! I just added it to "The Island" Game(the one that the super rich guy with twin sisters{clones} gets ship wrecked on an Island that his father apparently had something to do with establishing) the game just had extremely basic text and no textbox - no outline either! so I added your mod and it's great now! I had trouble reading a bunch when the background was light/white. Thanks a bunch!

zombhunt

Jun 10, 2020
I know its been a while, but I tried your say_arguments_override.rpy file on "Battle of Bulges" and it works great except the text is way larger now and cuts off a bunch of text on the bottom of the screen when there is a lot of text that is being said. I can't figure out how to shrink the text down and I can't get the shift+A screen to come up to adjust it. Is there a way to shrink the text?

Never mind, figured it out. Had to change the font type you listed in say_arguments_override.rpy with the font listed in the gui.rpy file "gui/Boogaloo-Regular.ttf" now it works perfectly.

This file should work for most Epiclust games, Apocalypse, Battle of the Bulges, Cockham, and Dead or Aroused.

Last edited:

giqui

Conversation Conqueror
Game Compressor
Nov 9, 2019
Could someone try to modify the code in the attached file (opacity and font size) to work in newer versions of the SDK?

Thanks in advance. (y)

Aug 12, 2020
Apenas um aviso - este patch foi feito para um jogo específico onde os pensamentos do personagem principal são definidos como um personagem separado que é representado no jogo como uma variável de personagem chamada mcth, com um nome que é representado por uma variável de string chamada player_name.

Duvido que existam outros jogos em que essas duas condições sejam atendidas.

O principal problema com esse tipo de abordagem é que todo jogo precisa de uma substituição personalizada específica. Isso é o que tenho adicionado ao patch e esse tipo de substituição é o conteúdo principal do patch até agora.
No entanto, com o número crescente de jogos problemáticos, esse tipo de abordagem não é viável.

Há outro tipo de solução mais universal para substituir atributos baseados em definição de personagem, mas não tive tempo de implementá-la de maneira agradável em meu patch, para que possa ser ativada e desativada, talvez.

O novo patch adicional anexado deve ser mais universal na substituição de atributos baseados em caracteres. Ele removerá o plano de fundo da caixa de texto e definirá os contornos do texto para todos os caracteres , caso algum outro tipo de contorno ou plano de fundo tenha sido adicionado a alguns ou a todos os caracteres por meio de argumentos de definição de caracteres. Acabei de fazer e testar e parece funcionar.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ele deve ser usado junto com o patch de caixa de texto transparente atual.

Você deve extrair ou copiar o arquivo say_arguments_override.rpy do arquivo zip anexado para a subpasta 'jogo' dentro da pasta principal do jogo
<game_name>\game <- o arquivo vai aqui
[/CITAR]
It works perfectily still in 2023 games. Fantastic. Great work. Thanks a lot.

Aug 12, 2020
anyway to make universal brightness/gamma slider mod like in this game?
If I understood correctly what you asked, it is not so. This patch automatically converts the textbox to transparent. However, as the author pointed out, it was made for a specific game. In my experience, it worked fine in one game (the futa experiment) and didn't work in another (babysitters).

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes