Ren'Py Ren'Py text editor

Daba

Jan 22, 2018
I just refreshed memory of Python and I would like to try programming game in Ren'Py.
I heard that Atom text editor is dead, so I am wondering what text editor is now recommended to use.
Thanks in advance.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I heard that Atom text editor is dead, so I am wondering what text editor is now recommended to use.
Whatever one you want, including Atom. The code will not be better because you'll use one or another, but because you use one that you understand and feel at ease with.

Personally I use a version of that fell from the truck, other continue to use Atom, or switched to Visual Studio, it's whatever you want.

Reactions: Daba

Black Rose Studios

Mar 11, 2023
I just refreshed memory of Python and I would like to try programming game in Ren'Py.
Thanks in advance.
I highly recommend (Visual Studio Code) as it offers a great deal of extensions and tailoring in terms of experience. It is also very similar to Atom but 10x better in my opinion.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
VS Code is what Renpy is recommending right now.
It has much better syntax highlight and code completion support then before with Atom.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
My 2 cents: I'm using sublime text 3 with the renpy-language plugin. it does syntax highlighting just fine.

bindr

Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Visual Studio Code and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I know people in a professional setting who have dumped the entirety of Visual Studio for VSCode. Forget Atom.

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
I use Atom now with Renpy. I just got comfortable with it.

I mainly do proofreading here on F95, but I'm doing it after the fact when the game is already up, and the complaints of Engrish make the dev seek out a proofreader.
Trying to correct spelling and grammar with the code in the way is difficult. I discovered that Renpy extracts dialogue from the script, which is good, but can't put it back in.

Does anyone know of a method to put the dialogue back in?