• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Renpy Performance Warning

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. Whenever I try to start the games Tuition Acadamia or Dark Magic I get this.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

No matter what options I choose I can't get it to work. Here is log text file.

But for some reaon I can still play other Renpy games like Ravager. I can also play all of the unity games I currently have. I just bought this computer 2 months ago.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
No matter what options I choose I can't get it to work. Here is log text file.
What part of, "this game require uses of GL2 that can't be initialised", made you believe that choosing something else would make the game works ?

But for some reaon I can still play other Renpy games like Ravager. I can also play all of the unity games I currently have.
"Some reason" that are: Not all Ren'Py games are "this game", and Unity is not Ren'Py.

I just bought this computer 2 months ago.
And never cared to update the drivers. So, update at least the GPU/video card drivers, and if you aren't the victim of some scammer selling "new" computers build with 5 years old hardware, it should solve the issue.

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
Well thanks I guess this was the most hostile 'help' I've ever gotten. I could nitpick what you said to me but I'm not on the internet for drama when I have enough of that. I'll just wait until someone else posts confirming that my computer's too shitty to play these games when the 12 year old computer I was using can play these games just fine.

I guess as a specific question does anyone know how to update GPU/video cards? I keep on coming across that in various websites but do they mean I can update it online or I have to phiscally install a new GPU/video card?

Reactions: くもり空

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
Just upgrade drivers for your existing video card , Intel should update through win update if any new driver available . Have put links in for Nvida and AMD GPU's

Nvidia Drivers

Amd / Ati Drivers

Good luck

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Well thanks I guess this was the most hostile 'help' I've ever gotten. I could nitpick what you said to me but I'm not on the internet for drama when I have enough of that. I'll just wait until someone else posts confirming that my computer's too shitty to play these games when the 12 year old computer I was using can play these games just fine.

I guess as a specific question does anyone know how to update GPU/video cards? I keep on coming across that in various websites but do they mean I can update it online or I have to phiscally install a new GPU/video card?
This was my reply 2 weeks ago to another person with the same version of Windows 10:

First, that build of Windows 10 (v2004 - build 19041) reached the end of its support on 14 December 2021. The most up to date build is 19044, v21H2 although you might not currently have received a notice that your system is available. You should have access to at least build 19043.

Second, doing a search for a phrase from your post - renpy game do not launch after Windows general update - in google came up with this:
  • One item appears on that page discussing if you are trying to run software rendering graphics or hardware accelerated. Make sure that you are running the games with the latter [hardware acceleration].
  • Another item appears to deal with still needing to make sure all drivers are updated - which might require several updates after the big one.
  • A third discusses making sure the directory path uses characters in the current system language for your version of Windows.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, Flecc, for those direct links.
Just upgrade drivers for your existing video card , Intel should update through win update if any new driver available . Have put links in for Nvida and AMD GPU's

Nvidia Drivers

Amd / Ati Drivers

Good luck

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
Thank you Flecc and CountMorado. If there is something preventing me from running these games hopefully I'll find it. This'll probably take a while I'm not really good with computers. I'll post here if I solved the problem or not.

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
I am so clueless I don't even know where to begin to look at which graphics driver I need. For example I'm looking at my computer specs and am at device manager and I can't even tell which category is a graphics driver. Also for any repny game how can you find out what version its using? I went to the NVIDIA website and it shows all of these options to download... can I just download any which one? How do I even figure out what would work for my computer? And from what I remember didn't I need to buy hardware to actually install into the computer to get a new graphic driver? Really confused about that last part because NVIDIA shows everything is downloadable.

Kazami

NTR BEST GENRE
Donor
May 26, 2017
Starting from 7.4.x.x (as it's stated in your log file) the Ren'Py engine upped the level of requirements needed for a machine to run a project of this version, that's why certain games run for you and others don't, it depends on the developer and the version of Ren'Py that they decided to use.

So if your machine is old or not good enough and you don't have basic knowledge when it comes to downgrading Ren'Py games, you'll have to play older games, pray that the developer doesn't use an updated version of Ren'Py for their projects, update your drivers or get a better rig.

The windows 10 thing that Count Morado said doesn't matter because im using a Windows 7 operating system (I have a dell from 2008 lmao) and I don't have any problems whatsoever, updating your windows doesn't hurt though.

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_3.png
(Tuition Academia 0.9.2b after downgrading it to an older Ren'Py version, works flawlessly)

device manager and I can't even tell which category is a graphics driver
It should be in "Display Adapter", your video card name has to be there.

Send me a PM if you have more difficulties or want to learn how to downgrade games yourself.

Good luck nad destroyer

Last edited:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
don't know why they will tell you update a nvida or AMD card when you don't have one

you have a ANGLE Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset built-in to the cpu

are you using a laptop??
can you give some more info about your computer (spec) like CPU?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
you have a ANGLE Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset built-in to the cpu
The "ANGLE" part is the name of the graphic API specification used by Ren'Py, his GPU is "Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset". And there's a big problem here:

The Q45/Q43 Express Chipset is 15 years old, and there's (under "legacy Intel Graphics Products"), the last drivers being for Windows 8 and . There seem to have made by some manufacturers, but I'm suspicious since when looking at the details, all talk about drivers for SMBus, that are something totally different.
But the real question is how the fuck such fully obsolete GPU end being integrated in a computer bought 2 months ago and that come with Windows 10 ? Is it possible that his computer have a cheap CPU (that come with the embedded Q45/Q43) and in top of that a regular video card, but that for some reason it's the embedded GPU that is enabled ?
Anyway, if it's effectively his GPU then he's just doomed. It was released 4 years before the graphic API specification needed by Ren'Py. This mean that, unless the drivers achieve to fake the support (offering a software support in place of a hardware one), there's no way this GPU will met Ren'Py's requirements.

There's still a solution: Buying a cheap recent video card and upgrading the PC with it. BUT the fact that only Dell, Lenovo, Gateway and HP still use this GPU make me doubt of this possibility.
Lenovo is known to use small cases for their computers with embedded components (the card wouldn't fit), when they don't just use motherboard without PCI slots (there would be no place to plug the card). And among the three others, only HP can possibly be smart enough to sell a cheap PC but with effective upgrade capabilities.

So, I think it's time to remember something:

Buying a cheap computer is rarely a good idea. They are pure scam that target people without knowledge and that will never do more than browsing the web and possibly look at some video of cute cats. If your actual computer is less than 10 years old, it will generally do better that the said cheap computer.

Before buying a computer, look at it's specifications, note at least the CPU and GPU references, as well as the amount of RAM and version of Windows. Then go back at home, at ask google to tell you more about the CPU and GPU. If there's a date older than 5 years ago, it's a scam, do not buy it. Then, search the requirement for the version of Windows, if the amount of RAM is not at least 2 times the required one, then it's a scam, do not buy it.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
The Q45/Q43 Express Chipset is 15 years old, and there's (under "legacy Intel Graphics Products"), the last drivers being for Windows 8 and . There seem to have made by some manufacturers, but I'm suspicious since when looking at the details, all talk about drivers for SMBus, that are something totally different.
But the real question is how the fuck such fully obsolete GPU end being integrated in a computer bought 2 months ago and that come with Windows 10 ? Is it possible that his computer have a cheap CPU (that come with the embedded Q45/Q43) and in top of that a regular video card, but that for some reason it's the embedded GPU that is enabled ?
Anyway, if it's effectively his GPU then he's just doomed. It was released 4 years before the graphic API specification needed by Ren'Py. This mean that, unless the drivers achieve to fake the support (offering a software support in place of a hardware one), there's no way this GPU will met Ren'Py's requirements.

There's still a solution: Buying a cheap recent video card and upgrading the PC with it. BUT the fact that only Dell, Lenovo, Gateway and HP still use this GPU make me doubt of this possibility.
Lenovo is known to use small cases for their computers with embedded components (the card wouldn't fit), when they don't just use motherboard without PCI slots (there would be no place to plug the card). And among the three others, only HP can possibly be smart enough to sell a cheap PC but with effective upgrade capabilities.

So, I think it's time to remember something:

Buying a cheap computer is rarely a good idea. They are pure scam that target people without knowledge and that will never do more than browsing the web and possibly look at some video of cute cats. If your actual computer is less than 10 years old, it will generally do better that the said cheap computer.

Before buying a computer, look at it's specifications, note at least the CPU and GPU references, as well as the amount of RAM and version of Windows. Then go back at home, at ask google to tell you more about the CPU and GPU. If there's a date older than 5 years ago, it's a scam, do not buy it. Then, search the requirement for the version of Windows, if the amount of RAM is not at least 2 times the required one, then it's a scam, do not buy it.
update:
Apparently not the case, as anne O'nymous found out. Look at the next post, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Count Morado

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
There is a suspicious line just above the Renderer line that says:

Vendor: 'Google Inc.'
It need to be looked further, but it's not as suspicious as you think.
Google is the writer of the ANGLE specification, therefore the "Vendor" part can possibly refer to the driver, not to the GPU itself. After all, the said GPU is referenced as "ANGLE Intel [...]", not directly as "Intel [...]"

The full block tend to confirm that. Vendor of the driver, GPU used by it, version of the driver.
Here's his:
Vendor: 'Google Inc.'
Renderer: 'ANGLE (Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) Direct3D11 vs_4_0 ps_4_0)'
Version: 'OpenGL ES 2.0.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.a4b21cf26074)'
Here's mine:
Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'
Renderer: 'GeForce RTX 2070/PCIe/SSE2'
Version: '4.6.0 NVIDIA 462.59'
This being said, it's possible that the GPU isn't effectively a Q45/Q43. Looking at it again it have something really generic ; it's a Q45/Q43 as seen by WDDM 1.1 used by Direct3D 11.
It's not impossible that the installed drivers are just the generic driver used by Windows for embedded GPU. The least common denominator for all embedded GPU, used in order to ensure that the display will works. But also a driver that is expected to be updated with a driver specifically designed for "this" GPU, later during the installation process ; but that haven't been.
Therefore the "Q45/Q43" part would then just be a blank reference. Something like "it's an Intel embedded GPU that is at least a Q45/Q43, but like it's the most recent I (WDDM 1.1) know, I can't tell you exactly what GPU it is."

A look at the device manager would tell it for sure. , then a click on "Display adaptaters" to see what is listed there. It would also tell it if there's an effective GPU and the monitor is just plugged to the wrong output.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Oh, right. Good research.
So, basically, Ren'Py detects the driver used by the OS. In case Windows is using a generic driver, this is what it detects.

In that case I would suggest for the thread starter to download and run utility to detect the hardware of this PC to be able to download correct graphics drivers for it.
Windows device manager is often not specific enough to help you to find correct drivers.

Also, in case this isn't a pirated Windows with blocked Windows Update, it should really be upgraded to a more recent or most recent version of Windows.
This should be a relatively smooth, although possibly time consuming process, but it probably needs a confirmation from the owner to start.

Last edited:

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
This was my reply 2 weeks ago to another person with the same version of Windows 10:
First, that build of Windows 10 (v2004 - build 19041) reached the end of its support on 14 December 2021. The most up to date build is 19044, v21H2 although you might not currently have received a notice that your system is available. You should have access to at least build 19043.
Also, in case this isn't a pirated Windows with blocked Windows Update, it should really be upgraded to a more recent or most recent version of Windows.
While it's good advice to encourage updating to the newest version of Windows available, not sure we can trust the Windows version reported in log.txt. On my machine at least, the log.txt consistently reports the wrong Windows version.

• Wow
Reactions: Penfold Mole

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sample Windows version reported in Ren'Py game log.txt files:
There's a constant, the branch 7.4 is seeing the right version, minus the built. And it happen that the log he gave reference the 7.4.6, so the OS version can be trusted.

My guess is that there's two way to get the version.
One that look at a configuration-like value set at the installation of the OS, and it return Windows 8 because you haven't installed Windows 10, it's an update. And one that call an API function, and that return the current version of Windows.
Prior to the "hey, update me online it's easy" policy, the two where always similar, and now they differ. PyTom needed time to notice this (because no one warned him before I suppose), but when it did, he change the way to get the string.

The only problem is the built number. But perhaps that it once again depend of the API. That it return the built when the OS was installed, and need a call to a second API to know precisely the built version isn't necessarily strange. Since the updates can be uninstalled, the system need to have a reference point in top of the update stack, at least as security net.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
The only problem is the built number.
Yes, that was my point. The OP was being advised they should update Windows based on the build number in the log.txt ("end of its support on 14 December 2021" etc.). This was more a caution that the log.txt is misleading, and the OP may well be using a current build.

As Kazami said, the OS version is something of a side issue to their problem, only being relevant in so far as it may impact getting updated graphics drivers capable of running more recent versions of Ren'Py.

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
don't know why they will tell you update a nvida or AMD card when you don't have one
Just upgrade drivers for your existing video card. At no point did i specify update Amd or Nvidia .yes certainly i posted those options along with intel which is generally done through win update . As the OP gave no indication of which GPU he had i merely covered all bases

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
As the OP gave no indication of which GPU he had i merely covered all bases
Yet everyone else in the thread is addressing the GPU as the embedded Intel Q45/Q43 it is seen as by the OS.

OP gave the indication, you just need to read all the information he provided ; they are here to help us give an accurate answer after all.

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
Starting from 7.4.x.x (as it's stated in your log file) the Ren'Py engine upped the level of requirements needed for a machine to run a project of this version, that's why certain games run for you and others don't, it depends on the developer and the version of Ren'Py that they decided to use.

So if your machine is old or not good enough and you don't have basic knowledge when it comes to downgrading Ren'Py games, you'll have to play older games, pray that the developer doesn't use an updated version of Ren'Py for their projects, update your drivers or get a better rig.

The windows 10 thing that Count Morado said doesn't matter because im using a Windows 7 operating system (I have a dell from 2008 lmao) and I don't have any problems whatsoever, updating your windows doesn't hurt though.

View attachment 1637154
View attachment 1637157
(Tuition Academia 0.9.2b after downgrading it to an older Ren'Py version, works flawlessly)

It should be in "Display Adapter", your video card name has to be there.

Send me a PM if you have more difficulties or want to learn how to downgrade games yourself.

Good luck nad destroyer
Thanks for the answers here Kazami. And everyone else discussing how to solve my problems. Real life caught up to me so I haven't been able to look in depth to try and learn enough to comprehend what everyone is telling me. @
anne O'nymous the reason why I bought such a cheap computer is because that's all I can afford living paycheck to paycheck. I have office work I need to do and my old computer is SLOW. It runs most games I want it too still but I just needed something cheap to office work done quickly. To be blunt this new computer does what I bought it for wonderfully compared to the old one but I didn't anticipate it not running games my old can just fine.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
nad destroyer

I had this same issue. An easy fix (that works most of the time) is to download Renpy -> put the game in renpy's folder -> launch the game from within the renpy launcher.

I don't know why this works. To me, it makes no sense. But whatever. The PC I use for these games is over a decade old and doesn't even have a real GPU. So if this thing can play games, anything else should be able to.

Another thing I've noticed is the newer versions of games that use the newer 7.4.X renpy work without this method. However, the older versions (like the game you attemped) do not.

Again, it doesn't make sense. But it's true.

Last edited: