Renpy Market Builds on Mac Question

MikoKju

Donor
Dec 17, 2017

I tried launching a Renpy market build on this (Sierra) and the market build launched without needing to alter anything.

The question is, do you really need to move/create files inside gamename.app or extra steps to make it work?
Does it depend on renpy version or macOS version or both?

Any mac users or anyone able to answer this ?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
What is "renpy market"? Never heard of that. Search engine only returns spam for that phrase.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
What is "renpy market"? Never heard of that. Search engine only returns spam for that phrase.
I guess he's talking about this build:
market.jpg

An all in one package, probably expected to be used for market places like steam and itch.io.

And I guess that the thought behind the question is "do I really need to have this 'xxx.app' directory that feel totally useless, at least Linux and Windows build share the same structure and all".
And the answer is "yes, you need it".

MikoKju

Donor
Dec 17, 2017
I guess he's talking about this build:
View attachment 2725496

An all in one package, probably expected to be used for market places like steam and itch.io.

And I guess that the thought behind the question is "do I really need to have this 'xxx.app' directory that feel totally useless, at least Linux and Windows build share the same structure and all".
And the answer is "yes, you need it".
umm no, more like, do mac users need to do extra stuff to play market build or not(Cause when I tried it in the VM, i didn't need to do anything to play market build on Mac). Like moving content of game folder inside xxx.app
Is it worth having separate builds for mac and such.

dikau

Dec 16, 2019
Yeah you can do that, and the mac users need the files/directories outside the [whatever].app (except maybe the .exe files)

The caveat is Renpy will automatically modified the [whatever].app "structure" so it will follow Windows/Linux directory structure ---the lib/game/etc will be outside the [whatever].app--- and for that depending where the user put your game, theres a chance that there will be annoying permission dialog for the user that the game their playing is trying to access "another" folder/directory (outside the .app)...
I can't speak for all mac user, but that permission dialog is annoying or at least trigger my paranoid, and I will automatically declined the permission (which mean I can't play the game).

Reactions: MikoKju

GPoint

Eternally f*cking shocked
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2022
Gentlemen, is there a comprehensive guide on the forum on how to make builds for MAC? I see that people are doing it, but my build refuses to work on my Mac M1. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but so far I haven't found a clear answer.
Discussions in different threads come up regularly, but most of them are very old and can't be trusted, and it doesn't seem like there are solutions there either.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
You might be better off engaging on the Lemmasoft forum. If you post clear error messages / reproduce steps and show you've at least done your own due diligence, RenpyTom or one of the regulars will probably drop in to help.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Gentlemen, is there a comprehensive guide on the forum on how to make builds for MAC?
Click on "Build Distributions", choose "Mac", and click on "Build". There's really nothing more to do.

I see that people are doing it, but my build refuses to work on my Mac M1.
Many Ren'Py games refuse to works on M1 CPU. Despite what PyTom think, the port clearly seem to be far to be complete.

Discussions in different threads come up regularly, but most of them are very old and can't be trusted, and it doesn't seem like there are solutions there either.
If they are 1 year old or less, they can be trusted because at this time Ren'Py was supposed to be .

• Red Heart
Reactions: GPoint

GPoint

Eternally f*cking shocked
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2022
Click on "Build Distributions", choose "Mac", and click on "Build". There's really nothing more to do.

Many Ren'Py games refuse to works on M1 CPU. Despite what PyTom think, the port clearly seem to be far to be complete.

If they are 1 year old or less, they can be trusted because at this time Ren'Py was supposed to be .
Thank you so much, you really helped me with your answer. Probably the problem is really in my Mac and I need to find someone with a different chip to check.