Renpy + Koikatu + Konosuba

Setosu

Feb 4, 2018
Hello everyone, thought I would share with you my idea for a game I am currently working on. Before I get to telling you about the game let me start off by saying this would be my first game ever. I don't have much experience with coding but Renpy seems simple enough to learn, so that's why I choose that engine.

Story/Setting: It will somewhat follow the series known as Konosuba. For those of you who don't know about that series..basically a shut-in guy, Kazuma Satou, dies in the real world and gets reborn in a fantasy world. Where my story will diverge from how it is in Konosuba is this - instead of Kazuma being able to go out into his adventure in the fantasy world he is forced to go to a school of adventuring first. Why do I want it in a school setting? For two main reasons. The first is a school setting is simple for someone like me who has no experience with coding, as much as I would love to include an RPG element to it I still have a lot more to learn to add stuff like combat, dungeon crawling, quests, etc. If I learn how to do these things along the way or if someone can tell me of a good guide I would love to have that kind of stuff in the game. For now though it will be a pure VN type game. Second reason for the school setting is it will allow me to introduce other anime characters that can fit the fantasy theme and makes interactions between characters easy. Of course Kazuma will also meet the characters of Konosuba there like Megumin, Darkness, Aqua (She will still be brought along the same way she is in the series), and many others. There will be things like tests/exams..having to form a party to complete a trial..school events..lots of things I have planned. The story will not be restricted to the school alone, there will be other places you can go. There is one location in particular I will make the focus of my first public concept build of the game, which I'll talk about in a bit.

Scenes/Art: Everything will be done with Koikatu. The characters, the locations, and the scenes. I know this does limit me in some ways but again, I am no artist. I personally think you can make some amazing looking scenes and characters with Koikatu, and illusion is still very much bringing updates to the character studio which means more options for me. I don't see too many games use Koikatu either so..why not.

Concept build idea: What I am currently working on will give you a idea of how scenes will look, how the character sprites will look, and just a general feel for how the main release would be. It will start you off in the Succubus Cafe from Konosuba. You will get to decide what kind of dream Kazuma will have for that night. Maybe you want a dream where you make Aqua your maid and she gives you some service. Or maybe you want a nice dream with Darkness or Megumin. There might even be some people to choose like Liru the Werewolf..or a certain pink haired kunochi girl. Who knows!

So that pretty much covers my idea/what I am working on at the moment. Maybe later I can update this thread with some screenshots. I am curious to hear your suggestions, comments, or even criticism! Gives me an idea of this is the kind of game people would play or if I should consider something else.

Edit/Update: So here are three images for you to look at. Please note that these are definitely not final, it's just to give you a sneak peek.

The first will is the Main Menu screen. This will give you an idea of what characters I would like to make available in the game, does not mean they will be. If I do get this game off the ground I would be open to suggestions from fans on who they would like to see, as long as they are anime characters that can fit the fantasy theme.

Second image will show you how a typical conversation will look and how the backgrounds will more or less look. Would very much like to make a more appealing UI but we'll see what happens.

Finally we have a very early look at the Succubus Cafe. The perspective you are looking from is the player (Kazuma) sitting in one of the booths of the cafe. As you can see I am still very much working on the cafe. When I am finished it will have proper background, lighting, and atmosphere. Ignore the fact that it's Yoko hah, I am just using her as a placeholder of sorts for the actual Succubus. Just love to look at Yoko while I am working, ya know?

elhlyn

Jul 5, 2017
2 things I'd like to ask/note
1. for the succubus cafe, I think it would be interesting if you can also double it as a gallery (which I think is essential to any hentai game). However depending on how the succubus cafe works (i.e. like in konosuba, you see it in your sleep, and thus translating it to gameplay, entails that you end a night.) it might just be a pain to use (since you'd basically be wasting time both in game and irl just having to go back and forth to view multiple scenes)

2. besides the succubus cafe, how do you generally see how the hentai will be implemented? will it just "go with the flow" as time/plot goes on? will it be conditionals (as in if, let's say, Aqua is at this location, is broke, and let's say Kazuma has reached a certain skill level, an event could occur)? or would it be more blalant and systematic with the relationship you have with different characters (i.e. for every character who passes trust/love level 4 there is a hentai scene.)? Perhaps a mix of all 3?

Setosu

Feb 4, 2018
2 things I'd like to ask/note
1. for the succubus cafe, I think it would be interesting if you can also double it as a gallery (which I think is essential to any hentai game). However depending on how the succubus cafe works (i.e. like in konosuba, you see it in your sleep, and thus translating it to gameplay, entails that you end a night.) it might just be a pain to use (since you'd basically be wasting time both in game and irl just having to go back and forth to view multiple scenes)

2. besides the succubus cafe, how do you generally see how the hentai will be implemented? will it just "go with the flow" as time/plot goes on? will it be conditionals (as in if, let's say, Aqua is at this location, is broke, and let's say Kazuma has reached a certain skill level, an event could occur)? or would it be more blalant and systematic with the relationship you have with different characters (i.e. for every character who passes trust/love level 4 there is a hentai scene.)? Perhaps a mix of all 3?
1. I would probably make an option to view past scenes that wouldn't be such a pain like you say, where you would be wasting your time going back and forth. Thinking something along the lines of a book you can view in your room where you can see the scenes you've already experienced. At the moment I have two plans for Succubus Cafe. First is just a way for the player to view some..let's call them bonus scenes. Redeemable by using gold you earn from work/quests or using a Succubus Coupon (reward for certain tasks) like you see in Konosuba. This is for those who just want to see some scenes fast. The second thing I have planned is connected to the first. The more you go and visit the Succubus Cafe and use their services the more you get to interact with the Succubus there.

2. It will be a mix of all three. You'll get to scenes by building your relationship with the various girls. Whether that be helping them with tasks/quests..bringing them in your party..in general just spending time with them. Thinking of implementing scenes that are triggered by certain quests. For example, Kazuma and whichever girl is with him at the time will be fighting some kind of monster that releases a sort of aphrodisiac effect on them and sexy times ensue. Your idea of an event triggering based on one of Kazuma's skill level is a good idea too. Like..Reaching a high level on Archery will impress a certain character. Definitely want to make use of the Steal skill.

Reactions: elhlyn
Jan 15, 2019
Hello everyone, thought I would share with you my idea for a game I am currently working on. Before I get to telling you about the game let me start off by saying this would be my first game ever. I don't have much experience with coding but Renpy seems simple enough to learn, so that's why I choose that engine.

Story/Setting: It will somewhat follow the series known as Konosuba. For those of you who don't know about that series..basically a shut-in guy, Kazuma Satou, dies in the real world and gets reborn in a fantasy world. Where my story will diverge from how it is in Konosuba is this - instead of Kazuma being able to go out into his adventure in the fantasy world he is forced to go to a school of adventuring first. Why do I want it in a school setting? For two main reasons. The first is a school setting is simple for someone like me who has no experience with coding, as much as I would love to include an RPG element to it I still have a lot more to learn to add stuff like combat, dungeon crawling, quests, etc. If I learn how to do these things along the way or if someone can tell me of a good guide I would love to have that kind of stuff in the game. For now though it will be a pure VN type game. Second reason for the school setting is it will allow me to introduce other anime characters that can fit the fantasy theme and makes interactions between characters easy. Of course Kazuma will also meet the characters of Konosuba there like Megumin, Darkness, Aqua (She will still be brought along the same way she is in the series), and many others. There will be things like tests/exams..having to form a party to complete a trial..school events..lots of things I have planned. The story will not be restricted to the school alone, there will be other places you can go. There is one location in particular I will make the focus of my first public concept build of the game, which I'll talk about in a bit.

Scenes/Art: Everything will be done with Koikatu. The characters, the locations, and the scenes. I know this does limit me in some ways but again, I am no artist. I personally think you can make some amazing looking scenes and characters with Koikatu, and illusion is still very much bringing updates to the character studio which means more options for me. I don't see too many games use Koikatu either so..why not.

Concept build idea: What I am currently working on will give you a idea of how scenes will look, how the character sprites will look, and just a general feel for how the main release would be. It will start you off in the Succubus Cafe from Konosuba. You will get to decide what kind of dream Kazuma will have for that night. Maybe you want a dream where you make Aqua your maid and she gives you some service. Or maybe you want a nice dream with Darkness or Megumin. There might even be some people to choose like Liru the Werewolf..or a certain pink haired kunochi girl. Who knows!

So that pretty much covers my idea/what I am working on at the moment. Maybe later I can update this thread with some screenshots. I am curious to hear your suggestions, comments, or even criticism! Gives me an idea of this is the kind of game people would play or if I should consider something else.

Edit/Update: So here are three images for you to look at. Please note that these are definitely not final, it's just to give you a sneak peek.

The first will is the Main Menu screen. This will give you an idea of what characters I would like to make available in the game, does not mean they will be. If I do get this game off the ground I would be open to suggestions from fans on who they would like to see, as long as they are anime characters that can fit the fantasy theme.

Second image will show you how a typical conversation will look and how the backgrounds will more or less look. Would very much like to make a more appealing UI but we'll see what happens.

Finally we have a very early look at the Succubus Cafe. The perspective you are looking from is the player (Kazuma) sitting in one of the booths of the cafe. As you can see I am still very much working on the cafe. When I am finished it will have proper background, lighting, and atmosphere. Ignore the fact that it's Yoko hah, I am just using her as a placeholder of sorts for the actual Succubus. Just love to look at Yoko while I am working, ya know?

Aqua and Darkness have the same cup size, btw.

Reactions: Back

Aflie

Jun 26, 2017
would be super interested in a konosuba trainer project now, im surprised it hasnt been done yet

Reactions: b4ph0m3t