Ren'py games wont open!

Supahdevinator

Aug 14, 2017
So I just did a clean wipe on my computer and when I try to play Ren'py games, they wont open!. I've spent all day trying to figure it out but I just cant. I've tried moving the file to a my C: drive, program files all that and I just cant seem to get it to work. When I do a fresh extract, this log is the only thing that pops up when i double click it. I dont really understand it. View attachment log.txt View attachment log.txt

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
So I just did a clean wipe on my computer and when I try to play Ren'py games, they wont open!. I've spent all day trying to figure it out but I just cant. I've tried moving the file to a my C: drive, program files all that and I just cant seem to get it to work. When I do a fresh extract, this log is the only thing that pops up when i double click it. I dont really understand it. View attachment 606896 View attachment 606896
1) Don't install games in your windows directories
2) Make sure there are no special characters in the folder names the game is in. English only.
3) Make sure your antivirus isn't blocking it.
4) Update your video drivers and Windows.
5) Run the game under Admin.

Try the first two first and then the others one at a time.

Supahdevinator

Aug 14, 2017
1) Don't install games in your windows directories
2) Make sure there are no special characters in the folder names the game is in. English only.

Try the first two first and then the others one at a time.
I've tried all those steps & i made sure i dont have any special characters in my folder names. Before I put the game in my C file, i had it on my hdd that didnt have my windows OS. it was literally working yesterday before I freshly wiped my computer. I dont understand what couldve changed..

Monsieur X

Engaged Member
May 26, 2018
I've tried all those steps & i made sure i dont have any special characters in my folder names. Before I put the game in my C file, i had it on my hdd that didnt have my windows OS. it was literally working yesterday before I freshly wiped my computer. I dont understand what couldve changed..
Do you have full user rights in the directory where you installed the games ?
Did you checked the user privileges ( user account control ) ?
Have you tried with a fresh game install ?

Supahdevinator

Aug 14, 2017
Do you have full user rights in the directory where you installed the games ?
Did you checked the user privileges ( user account control ) ?
Have you tried with a fresh game install ?
yes i do. ive downloaded the games multiple times in different places, folders, desktop, etc.

Monsieur X

Engaged Member
May 26, 2018
That was all I could think of.
Did you try what the previous poster suggested :

Maybe have a look at the events viewer, an error might be logged there ( application or system events ).

Supahdevinator

Aug 14, 2017
That was all I could think of.
Did you try what the previous poster suggested :

Maybe have a look at the events viewer, an error might be logged there ( application or system events ).
i dont have an antivirus, only windows defender. i turned off the settings for it and tried to start the game. no luck :\
my drivers are all up to date and ive tried running as admin.

events view just shows a bunch of errors of when i try to open the game

Supahdevinator

Aug 14, 2017
What errors ? Not sure I can help on these but who knows.
In my event viewer under Window Logs -> Applications. i get this error

Faulting application name: FalseHero.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58942445
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x928
Faulting application start time: 0x01d609a80d45ddb5
Faulting application path: D:\1\FalseHero-False_Hero_v0.20.1-pc\lib\windows-i686\FalseHero.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 5ea59764-2234-47c6-94b8-549695225338
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Try to download renpy sdk

I have no idea about what problem you may have
see if works, test it with the tutorial, if it does try to take the game you want to play in the folder of the renpy sdk and run it from the renpy interface

Supahdevinator

Aug 14, 2017
Try to download renpy sdk

I have no idea about what problem you may have
see if works, test it with the tutorial, if it does try to take the game you want to play in the folder of the renpy sdk and run it from the renpy interface
Ive tried that too. Nothing shows up :\ damn this sucks so bad

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
here something for the Exception code: 0xc0000005

there is no guarantee this will work if think you need to reboot you pc try doing a ram check and that before you reboot your pc

• Windows Installation Error
    The error halts the Windows OS installation and is mostly related to temporary hardware issues with the RAM or corrupt hard drive due to bad sectors.
    Error: Windows installation encountered an unexpected error ….

• Access Violation Error
    The error occurs when a program in Windows attempts to access a location or data from a location that is not assigned to it. This can occur with any Windows application due to registry issue, faulty RAM, corrupt drivers, virus infection, or incorrect security update, etc.
    Error: Exception: Access violation error (0xc0000005) at ….

• Application unable to start
    The error pops up when you launch a program installed on your Windows PC such as Mozilla, VLC, Chrome browser, game, etc. Mostly, re-installation doesn’t help in fixing the issue as it’s caused by some invalid, unsigned, or incomplete DLL files that helps software to run on Windows platform.
    Error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)
  1. Check RAM

Turn off the system and replace the RAM with other RAM. You may also swap RAM slots and then boot the system. Check if the error still persists. Swapping of RAM is required when there is a physical damage to RAM connectors or hardware.

Also, run a memory diagnostic test on your RAM using Memtest86+ to fix the issue.

1. Fix Registry

Corrupt registry files lead to serious issues in the system including this error code. If you have a backup of your registry files, you can restore your system’s registry and fix the problem. However, modifying registry files is a bit complex and can be dangerous for the system. Any invalid or improper alteration can lead to serious system consequences. Therefore, backup your current registry files before making any change. To fix registry, perform the following steps:

• Press ‘Windows + R’, type regedit, and hit ‘Enter’
  • Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_Dlls
  • Double click LoadAppInit_DLLs and modify the value from 1 to 0
  • Click ‘OK’ to confirm the changes
  • Close the Registry Editor Window and restart the system

Check if the error still pops up when you try to launch an application.

1. Run SFC

SFC or System File Checker can help fix Windows system file corruption that might be causing this error. Running SFC scan is easy,

• Press Windows key and type cmd
  • Right-click on ‘Command Prompt’ and choose ‘Run as Administrator’. A command prompt window appears
  • Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter key
  • Let the SFC scan to finish (It will automatically detect corrupt system files and will replace them with new from the cache)

1. Turn off DEP

DEP or Data Execution Prevention is a Windows in-built system-level memory protection feature that protects your system from damage caused by viruses and other security threats. However, some programs are not compatible with DEP feature in Windows and cause a 0xc0000005 error. To turn DEP off,

• Sign in to Windows as Administrator
  • Press ‘Windows+R’ and type sysdm.cpl. Hit Enter
  • Click ‘Advanced’ tab and then click the ‘Settings’ button
  • Click on Data Execution Protection tab and click ‘Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select’
  • Click ‘Add’ button and then browse and add all the executable (.exe) files that are causing the issue
  • Click ‘OK’
  • Restart the system and try running the programs

1. Run CHKDSK Utility

A corrupt hard drive or bad sectors on the drive can also lead to error code 0x0000005. You can run CHKDSK (check disk) utility to try to fix the disk corruption due to bad sectors.

Open command prompt in administrator mode and type chkdsk X: /f /r where X is the hard drive letter that needs repair and hit ‘Enter’ key.

1. Use Hardware Troubleshooter

• Press Windows key, type Troubleshooting in Search Bar and press Enter
  • In Windows 8 and later, click on ‘View All’ in the top left corner to display all built-in troubleshooters and then click on ‘Hardware and Devices’ to run the troubleshooter
  • In Windows 10, scroll down and click on ‘Hardware and Devices’ and click ‘Run the troubleshooter’
  • Wait for the troubleshooter to find the fixes. Click ‘Apply fixes’ and then restart the system

1. Update Disk Drivers or Re-install them

Most probably, your system already has the latest driver. However, if you are facing any issue with the device, updating device driver fixes most of it and will ensure that your system has the latest fix for errors and bugs.

• Click ‘Windows’ key, type Device Manager and click on ‘Device Manager’
  • Double-click on the Disk Drives and then right-click on the drive where the Windows and other programs are installed
  • Choose Update Driver and then click Search automatically for updated driver software in the Update Driver dialog box
  • Wait till Windows finds the driver. If it doesn’t find a new driver, download it from your disk manufacturer’s site and update by clicking on Browse my computer for driver software in the Update Drivers dialog box