• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool Ren'Py Renpy Files link

Meyer1234

May 4, 2023
Hi all,
If you got many renpy Games, every Game got it's owm Renpy Files. So i think, you Store a huge amount of the Same Files regarding renpy.
Is there a Tool to Analyse all Gamefolders for the occurance of the Same renpy Files to Just save one and delete all Others and Link them to the one saved?

Divide_By_Zero

Jr. Uploader
Sep 4, 2017
Hi all,
If you got many renpy Games, every Game got it's owm Renpy Files. So i think, you Store a huge amount of the Same Files regarding renpy.
Is there a Tool to Analyse all Gamefolders for the occurance of the Same renpy Files to Just save one and delete all Others and Link them to the one saved?
While this is a good theory and a good question the technical aspects of this would make it nearly impossible for a few reasons:

1. Each Ren'Py Game is built and released in whichever Ren'Py SDK version the Dev was using at that time and not all engines are compatible. Code changes may break features in individual games or make them simply act differently or even not launch at all.
  2. Even if the games are the same Engine version Devs sometimes modify the core engine files so again they would be different and may break or produce unexpected results.
Personally I had toyed with a similar idea for organizing/sharing the in-game assets like audio/video/images into a local repository to save space since those files tend to be the lion's share of a game's size but i haven't had much time recently and haven't got gotten much farther than a kind of concept outline/goal list yet.​
This concept could be pretty useful for game assets, mods, saves and more but even creating it for assets only there is some potential issues that complicate it like devs changing filenames or types. Some types of errors can be worked around but not all....​
In fact i remember Ren'Py introduced a similar feature in the SDK a while back and It had people excited about the possibilities but then it kind of died out and i haven't seen any recent games making use of it so not even sure if they removed the feature. At the time Ren'Py Tom designed it to basically combine or link persistent saves from various games from a single dev (mostly... i think cross dev collab was possible) so that devs could create kind of shared universes in their games and data would sync between games.​
I don't remember what exactly they called that feature.​
So short answer is: No (Not for the foreseeable future at least)​

Reactions: Meyer1234