• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py RenPy + Daz Studio

CigarMan

Dec 29, 2020
Hello, everyone! I'm a long-time observer of this forum, and I'm thinking about starting my own visual novel using RenPy and Daz. I'm familiar with Python but not so much RenPy, although I think it'll be fairly easy to pick up on. My main concern is using Daz and how to incorporate those renders into RenPy. Is anyone aware of some good resources of how to combine Daz with RenPy? I tried lurking through the forums a bit, but I couldn't find any real solid videos/documentation on the subject.

I'm mostly curious on how I can create lewd scenes with Daz and how those scenes can be placed into my RenPy application. I understand there'll likely need to be characters/models created but do I need to export the animation or anything like that?

I'm runnning an RTX 3070 with a Ryzen 9 3900x 12-core CPU, so I think I have a decent setup in regards to rendering animations in Daz.

If I'm creating more questions than answers, please let me know and I'll try my best to clarify my intentions more.

I look forward to any help!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Is anyone aware of some good resources of how to combine Daz with RenPy?
It's simple:
Step 1: Use Daz Studio to build the scene.
Step 2: Use Daz Studio to render the said scene.
Step 3: Move the image it created into the "images" folder of your Ren'py project.
Step 4: Tell Ren'py to display the image.

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
A terrifying, nauseating, grueling job awaits you. There is no machine capable of rendering quickly in DAZ Iray. You will slowly render on the T-1000 processor for 120 years without recharging.

But that will be the least of your problems. You will find out that there is no content. There are few models, even fewer clothes, even fewer rooms. And those that are, have already been used many times by other developers.

If you use the standard boring DAZ Store models, then your game will not be noticed. Everyone has seen these models hundreds of times. You'll have to sculpt. And this is the development of ZBrush. And ZBrush is a graphic tablet and... an innate natural talent of the artist to use it.

I have nothing further to tell you. Because at the sculpting stage I broke down.

CigarMan

Dec 29, 2020
A terrifying, nauseating, grueling job awaits you. There is no machine capable of rendering quickly in DAZ Iray. You will slowly render on the T-1000 processor for 120 years without recharging.

But that will be the least of your problems. You will find out that there is no content. There are few models, even fewer clothes, even fewer rooms. And those that are, have already been used many times by other developers.

If you use the standard boring DAZ Store models, then your game will not be noticed. Everyone has seen these models hundreds of times. You'll have to sculpt. And this is the development of ZBrush. And ZBrush is a graphic tablet and... an innate natural talent of the artist to use it.

I have nothing further to tell you. Because at the sculpting stage I broke down.
Thanks for the words of encouragement haha. I'm sure you're right in regards to people recognizing Daz models. I believe it won't be too difficult to create custom characters, but here's to hoping. Sounds like maybe I should just stick to web development ;)

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
A lot of this feels like it's being spoken from secondhand experience.

There's absolutely no reason a beginner to Daz/Ren'py should be looking at ZBrush, it's way out of their league. Mixing and matching morphs, shapes, and so forth will make a character already look a bit different. Some decent LIE makeup and hair will go a long way. Same goes for rooms or most other decent environments. Using a different plaster shader on the walls and adding some wood floor shaders alone will heavily transform a room, bringing in other props, posters, etc from other sets will help as well. There's actually quite a lot of content, you just have to put the work in to make it unique. Clever use of shaders and tiling is your friend with Daz.

This is pretty much untrue as it stands. The 30 series basically reshaped 3D modeling, not just with Daz, but with most of the industry at the hobbyist level. Sure, a 3070 will naturally be slower than a 3090, but it's still much faster than say a 2070 Super (for example.). I set my iterations pretty high (8000~), and most renders are done at around 5000-ish for a 2K render. Which is usually 15-20 minutes or so on a 3080. Pretty quick if you ask me.

As for OP:

Your system should be fine for Daz, working under the assumption that it's a desktop. What matters here is your GPU, Daz requires an Nvidia card, which you have. Your CPU is basically irrelevant here, and I personally recommend turning your CPU off in Daz when rendering and just letting your GPU do the heavy lifting (Render Settings > Advanced > Deselect CPU on both boxes, and disable CPU fallback below both of those same boxes, make sure your engine is set to Iray as well.). Your bigger needs in Daz, aside from GPU, are usually RAM (16GB is enough, but I'd recommend 32) and storage space as assets can pile up quickly.

I'd recommend looking at (Formerly Thundorn Games). Scroll to the bottom and you'll find playlists with both Daz and Renpy tutorials from beginner and up, they'll at least clear up Daz and Renpy for you. Daz is the renderer, what you make the images/scenes/renders in. Ren'py is what displays them along with your script. goes a bit deeper into Daz, but still rather entry-level. What's nice about his tutorials is that they're usually very VN-focused, which makes a lot of what he shows fairly easy to implement in some way into your own.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
A lot of this feels like it's being spoken from secondhand experience.

There's absolutely no reason a beginner to Daz/Ren'py should be looking at ZBrush, it's way out of their league. Mixing and matching morphs, shapes, and so forth will make a character already look a bit different. Some decent LIE makeup and hair will go a long way. Same goes for rooms or most other decent environments. Using a different plaster shader on the walls and adding some wood floor shaders alone will heavily transform a room, bringing in other props, posters, etc from other sets will help as well. There's actually quite a lot of content, you just have to put the work in to make it unique. Clever use of shaders and tiling is your friend with Daz.

This is pretty much untrue as it stands. The 30 series basically reshaped 3D modeling, not just with Daz, but with most of the industry at the hobbyist level. Sure, a 3070 will naturally be slower than a 3090, but it's still much faster than say a 2070 Super (for example.). I set my iterations pretty high (8000~), and most renders are done at around 5000-ish for a 2K render. Which is usually 15-20 minutes or so on a 3080. Pretty quick if you ask me.

As for OP:

Your system should be fine for Daz, working under the assumption that it's a desktop. What matters here is your GPU, Daz requires an Nvidia card, which you have. Your CPU is basically irrelevant here, and I personally recommend turning your CPU off in Daz when rendering and just letting your GPU do the heavy lifting (Render Settings > Advanced > Deselect CPU on both boxes, and disable CPU fallback below both of those same boxes, make sure your engine is set to Iray as well.). Your bigger needs in Daz, aside from GPU, are usually RAM (16GB is enough, but I'd recommend 32) and storage space as assets can pile up quickly.

I'd recommend looking at (Formerly Thundorn Games). Scroll to the bottom and you'll find playlists with both Daz and Renpy tutorials from beginner and up, they'll at least clear up Daz and Renpy for you. Daz is the renderer, what you make the images/scenes/renders in. Ren'py is what displays them along with your script. goes a bit deeper into Daz, but still rather entry-level. What's nice about his tutorials is that they're usually very VN-focused, which makes a lot of what he shows fairly easy to implement in some way into your own.
and I will add to this also watch to learn about daz

Reactions: tdree and CigarMan

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
If you use the standard boring DAZ Store models, then your game will not be noticed. Everyone has seen these models hundreds of times.
That's not true, there is so much morphs to differentiate your model from other games, even using a model that's overused you can make her look completely different with morphs, patience and a good eye, not counting mixing 2~3 models and still use morphs to change her as you like. Most games have similar models because they lack patience to spend time designing characters.

Reactions: CigarMan

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
That's not true, there is so much morphs to differentiate your model from other games, even using a model that's overused you can make her look completely different with morphs, patience and a good eye, not counting mixing 2~3 models and still use morphs to change her as you like. Most games have similar models because they lack patience to spend time designing characters.
Morphs sliders method not work. Result not correct. I try create a little-known actress.
I had thousands of face sliders. That's not enough to create a similar face.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Morphs sliders method not work. Result not correct. I try create a little-known actress.
I had thousands of face sliders. That's not enough to create a similar face.
Then you're simply doing something wrong. If you play with Morphs and shapes, regardless of it being 50 or thousands, you'll get something unique. Even if it looks like nightmare fuel sometimes.

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

CigarMan

Dec 29, 2020

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to turn off the CPU settings in Daz Studio. I've seen some of those YouTube channels, and they seem to be teaching pretty useful information in regards to creating characters and backgrounds. However, one thing I'm not too sure about is how I can use two characters (say male and female) and animate them in a lewd scene. Are there any videos (probably not on YouTube) covering those sorts of animation processes?

I've looked in the Asset Release section of this site, and I see some different poses but how can I use those poses (say a blowjob) on a male character and animate it? If that even makes sense? I'm not much of a designer so sorry if I'm vague in my questions.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
you will notice which pose if for whom

stimuli anipose animations Gen 3/8 Female/Male the penis are for Males
151111516165165156.png

still poses G8 - 02 - 1F Genesis Female G8 - 02- 1M Genesis Male
d4t28d8-8914a0a5-1580-4cc4-b798-a7de6b7fad5f.png

any of those poses from the image I shown will need adjustments specially the animations with animations you have to adjusts all frame not just the 1 frame

for all the black triangle dots you will have to adjust and make sure you add the camera last

fsdfdfsdf.png

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to turn off the CPU settings in Daz Studio. I've seen some of those YouTube channels, and they seem to be teaching pretty useful information in regards to creating characters and backgrounds. However, one thing I'm not too sure about is how I can use two characters (say male and female) and animate them in a lewd scene. Are there any videos (probably not on YouTube) covering those sorts of animation processes?

I've looked in the Asset Release section of this site, and I see some different poses but how can I use those poses (say a blowjob) on a male character and animate it? If that even makes sense? I'm not much of a designer so sorry if I'm vague in my questions.
Animations with Daz are tricky, and in all honesty, better saved until you have a solid understanding of Daz. As for tutorials on lewd animations? Fundamentally, you could probably watch any animation tutorial for 3D (like Blender, for example) and get an idea of how they work in Daz. That said, the technique I've seen used most is apply a sexual pose to both figures (Layla, Thunder 3D, and 3DLust all make some pretty good stuff), and then you can animate from there via the timeline. Or as Rayminator said, stimuli's premade poses work well. Especially if you're just looking for animations to pop into your VN. Be aware, they're quite common, though. So it's more of a 'better to have them than no animations at all' type of deal.

The only Daz creator I'm aware of who does adult Daz tutorials is Dreamlight/Val Cameron. There's a specific ' ' that he has, nothing lewd, but there's a lot you may be able to learn from it. There's also that has a short series on making manual animations (and a showcase of some of AnimArts animations). I'd be sure this is something you'd enjoy doing before investing money beyond assets, however, even if it isn't a ton.

PKerchu

Jul 28, 2023

Wrong wrong wrong, there is a lot of content. There are A LOT of models, A LOT of clothes, and A LOT of rooms/buildings/environments. It is really easy to make unique character only by mixing stuff, like mixing morphs, adding skin materials from other models (just the skin can make your character loor very different), adding different Make Ups, it is the same for clothes.

Reactions: MissFortune