HTML Removing menu/toolbars in firefox/chrome fullscreen during gameplay

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
I'm surprised nothing about this was found searching old threads - it's a simple html question relevant to any game played in a browser. Not sure if this is the right forum.

How does one disable the toolbars and address bar from auto-appearing while in fullscreen mode in firefox/chrome?

If this is unclear, the goal is so that upon hitting F11, the html game content is shown fullscreen, and no matter where I move the mouse on screen no browser elements appear; the only way I can get back is a key press like F11 or ESC. As it is now the autohide menus re-appear.

Current google searches for this answer lead to a frustrating result of mostly wrong (or outdated) userChrome.css modifications.

Surely there must be someone here familiar enough with html/css that knows how to do this?

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I didn't even know this was a thing. I use Chrome and never had the toolbar or anything show up in fullscreen, except the X for Exit fullscreen.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
I didn't even know this was a thing. I use Chrome and never had the toolbar or anything show up in fullscreen, except the X for Exit fullscreen.
Wait what's this magic? When you're in fullscreen mode you dont have an auto-unhide toolbar when you move your mouse near the top border? What version are you running?

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I have Chrome Version 109.0.5414.120. I'm still on Windows 7 so Chrome is no longer updating since January this year. So it's possible this is something new to Chrome?