EuphoriaStudios

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
If you release a game people will play it. If they play it and find it flawed they will review it as such. The bad practice isn't the reviews - it's releasing a game in shoddy condition.

Nobody is forcing devs to release their games uncooked. A dev could finish the entire game, polish it, and then release it. Like in every other kind of media. Movie studios don't release the first five minutes of rehearsal footage as a movie. Authors don't publish the first draft of chapter 1 and call it a book. But the norm here is to ship your game in incremental bits in order to steer players towards your patreon. That is the bad practice.
The example you gave doesn't quite fit. You're talking about finished products, not serializations like comics or old-fashioned serialized novels that used to be published in newspapers. You buy one piece and you get one piece of the "story."

Anyway, Patreon is a completely different thing. It's donations that support the creator and don't actually buy anything. Are there people making money off it? Absolutely, it happens every day, probably more than those who release a free game!

When you write a review, you're taking on the huge responsibility of truly understanding what you're reviewing, otherwise it's harmful to those who read it.

Last edited:

malaac2025

Mar 17, 2024
If you release a game people will play it. If they play it and find it flawed they will review it as such. The bad practice isn't the reviews - it's releasing a game in shoddy condition.

Nobody is forcing devs to release their games uncooked. A dev could finish the entire game, polish it, and then release it. Like in every other kind of media. Movie studios don't release the first five minutes of rehearsal footage as a movie. Authors don't publish the first draft of chapter 1 and call it a book. But the norm here is to ship your game in incremental bits in order to steer players towards your patreon. That is the bad practice.
It is ALPHA! I can tell you never alpha tested anything I have alpha tested many games and it is nowhere near release it's typically more of a test of UI than anything else. If dev called it beta than I expect more. It really sounds like you should not be playing any alpha games. I alpha tested MMO games that in alpha all you could do is pretty much walk around and they gave weather control. The goal was how movement was and if we fell into any weird spaces we could not move in. Alpha is in no way even suppose to be a playable it's a proof of concept and if you an not understand that than please avoid Alpha games. Beta is when there starts to become goals and playability and the point where gamers are expected to give feedback into the game play itself.

Alpha - not meant to be a playable game but more of a UI and feature test
Beta - game play is starting to be implemented, background characters, missions/quests. pre-reviews on direction game play is taking and lore
Pre-Release - This is pretty much the final product it is here where the stories fleshes out and it is here where reviews should be released.

So it's never fair to review an alpha as it's what some call proof of concept. It is here you can give feedback to what you liked and did not like but it's not fair to do a review here at all. Constructive feedback world too baren, combat too clunky, and other stuff like this.

Dec 10, 2022
The example you gave doesn't quite fit. You're talking about finished products, not serializations like comics or old-fashioned serialized novels that used to be published in newspapers. You buy one piece and you get one piece of the "story."

Anyway, Patreon is a completely different thing. It's donations that support the creator and don't actually buy anything. Are there people making money off it? Absolutely, it happens every day, probably more than those who release a free game!

When you write a review, you're taking on the huge responsibility of truly understanding what you're reviewing, otherwise it's harmful to those who read it.
No, my analogy holds up. It is entirely reasonable for people to judge a product as it stands at the time of its commercial release. I would actually agree with the OP about waiting until a game was complete if it was being produced by a hobbyist who was asking for feedback to improve their dev skills. But that is not the case here. Your title is Euphoria Studio and you have links to your patreon on the front page and in the game. That makes this a commercial product and we judge commercial products differently. Calling it a donation doesn't change the fact that there is a product/money exchange going on. Which is fine, I'm not against making money on a good product. But don't expect the hobbyist kid-glove treatment when you're shaking a tincup at your audience.

But let's consider your point about serialization. My analogy was to contrast against an entirely finished product because the OP was saying we should wait until the "serial" is entirely done until we judge it as a whole. But that's wrong. It is fine for people to judge a serial by the episodes that have been released. It is the job of those first few episodes to set the audience's expectations for what the rest of the serial is going to be like. You only get one chance to make a first impression, as they say. And all the responsibility for that impression sits with the creator. They don't get to say "here is my work, which I'm going to release piecemeal, and for which I would like to be paid beginning now and all throughout the release cycle, but please don't judge its quality until the last chapter is out". I'm sorry, but that is not a reasonable expectation to have.

As I said the option is there for devs to wait until they have a finished and polished product for release. Nobody is stopping any dev from doing that. If a dev chooses to release their game in bits then the audience is entirely justified in judging those bits on their own merits. It is the dev's responsibility to ensure that the product they are asking money for is good now. Not maybe sometime in the future, assuming it ever gets finished (unlike the thousand other abandoned projects on this site). Here and now as it stands. There are other games here that release quality episodes from the get-go. And they manage to do it without blatantly copying characters and setting from a much more popular and succesful game. Which is something we can't just gloss over. Because if this was just a hobby project that would be one thing. But you're asking for money while ripping-off one of the biggest games in the scene. And it is only right for reviews to point this out to your potential audience. Reviews don't harm the audience - they protect them from bad games. You made the choice to copy those characters. You made the choice to release the game in bits. You are solely responsibility for the quality of your game. The negative reviews are not unwarranted. They are a reflection of the product you have released and want to be paid for. And that product is bad.

Dec 10, 2022
It is ALPHA! I can tell you never alpha tested anything I have alpha tested many games and it is nowhere near release it's typically more of a test of UI than anything else. If dev called it beta than I expect more. It really sounds like you should not be playing any alpha games. I alpha tested MMO games that in alpha all you could do is pretty much walk around and they gave weather control. The goal was how movement was and if we fell into any weird spaces we could not move in. Alpha is in no way even suppose to be a playable it's a proof of concept and if you an not understand that than please avoid Alpha games. Beta is when there starts to become goals and playability and the point where gamers are expected to give feedback into the game play itself.

Alpha - not meant to be a playable game but more of a UI and feature test
Beta - game play is starting to be implemented, background characters, missions/quests. pre-reviews on direction game play is taking and lore
Pre-Release - This is pretty much the final product it is here where the stories fleshes out and it is here where reviews should be released.

So it's never fair to review an alpha as it's what some call proof of concept. It is here you can give feedback to what you liked and did not like but it's not fair to do a review here at all. Constructive feedback world too baren, combat too clunky, and other stuff like this.
Then I dub all the reviews for this game "alpha reviews" and you're not allowed to criticize them.

Reactions: Simbad-sea

EuphoriaStudios

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
No, my analogy holds up. It is entirely reasonable for people to judge a product as it stands at the time of its commercial release. I would actually agree with the OP about waiting until a game was complete if it was being produced by a hobbyist who was asking for feedback to improve their dev skills. But that is not the case here. Your title is Euphoria Studio and you have links to your patreon on the front page and in the game. That makes this a commercial product and we judge commercial products differently. Calling it a donation doesn't change the fact that there is a product/money exchange going on. Which is fine, I'm not against making money on a good product. But don't expect the hobbyist kid-glove treatment when you're shaking a tincup at your audience.

But let's consider your point about serialization. My analogy was to contrast against an entirely finished product because the OP was saying we should wait until the "serial" is entirely done until we judge it as a whole. But that's wrong. It is fine for people to judge a serial by the episodes that have been released. It is the job of those first few episodes to set the audience's expectations for what the rest of the serial is going to be like. You only get one chance to make a first impression, as they say. And all the responsibility for that impression sits with the creator. They don't get to say "here is my work, which I'm going to release piecemeal, and for which I would like to be paid beginning now and all throughout the release cycle, but please don't judge its quality until the last chapter is out". I'm sorry, but that is not a reasonable expectation to have.

As I said the option is there for devs to wait until they have a finished and polished product for release. Nobody is stopping any dev from doing that. If a dev chooses to release their game in bits then the audience is entirely justified in judging those bits on their own merits. It is the dev's responsibility to ensure that the product they are asking money for is good now. Not maybe sometime in the future, assuming it ever gets finished (unlike the thousand other abandoned projects on this site). Here and now as it stands. There are other games here that release quality episodes from the get-go. And they manage to do it without blatantly copying characters and setting from a much more popular and succesful game. Which is something we can't just gloss over. Because if this was just a hobby project that would be one thing. But you're asking for money while ripping-off one of the biggest games in the scene. And it is only right for reviews to point this out to your potential audience. Reviews don't harm the audience - they protect them from bad games. You made the choice to copy those characters. You made the choice to release the game in bits. You are solely responsibility for the quality of your game. The negative reviews are not unwarranted. They are a reflection of the product you have released and want to be paid for. And that product is bad.

You take so much for granted without knowing anything, and that's the problem.
I'll repeat it, the game is Free to Play as of today, and that's a fact. Patreon, as the word itself suggests, is a patronage, not a trading platform.

As you've been told, the alpha of a game, like a game demo, are not finished products, yet they exist and are published. That's why your argument falls apart on all sides. You wish things were as you think, but they don't reflect the reality of the situation. When you review something, you always have to consider what you're reviewing consistently with the actual state of product, not just your thoughts on how things could be. When you review a game, you need to know the game. And I mean everything about the game's development and have thoroughly played it. But as I said, you're assuming things you don't know.

Plus, you claim that I copied a game, do you take responsibility for what you say? Then you have to put your face to it because we're moving onto a legal level.
This game is not copied in any part, and I assert that strongly.
If you think otherwise, you have to prove it, and rest assured you'd be completely wrong.

Reactions: frozted

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
EuphoriaStudios
Chapter 1 Sex with Isabel then had this error.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/quest_main.rpy", line 571, in <module>
TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "RevertableList") to str

This also seems to break the UI, the date time image stops existing, not sure what else. Maybe the update for the quest doesn't advance and still says to talk to someone instead of rest. Sleeping did fix it though.

Game does need a once over in the writing, a few uncapitalized letter I during sex scene with zoe.

Todo list should probably always have the not completed stuff to the top.

Eve calls MC simon even if he has been renamed.

Also not sure if showing a love interest in their past maybe getting gang banged is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: EuphoriaStudios

EuphoriaStudios

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
EuphoriaStudios
Chapter 1 Sex with Isabel then had this error.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/quest_main.rpy", line 571, in <module>
TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "RevertableList") to str
It's a known issue that was fixed in the previous version, but I forgot to update it in this one. It should only pop up in case of the translation patch. In that case, try disabling the language patch in the options and let me know.

EuphoriaStudios
This also seems to break the UI, the date time image stops existing, not sure what else. Maybe the update for the quest doesn't advance and still says to talk to someone instead of rest. Sleeping did fix it though.

Game does need a once over in the writing, a few uncapitalized letter I during sex scene with zoe.

Todo list should probably always have the not completed stuff to the top.

Eve calls MC simon even if he has been renamed.

Also not sure if showing a love interest in their past maybe getting gang banged is great.
The scenes with Zoe and Emma have already been rewritten, and I'm expanding the additional scenes right now.

Thanks for the feedback. (y)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
It's a known issue that was fixed in the previous version, but I forgot to update it in this one. It should only pop up in case of the translation patch. In that case, try disabling the language patch in the options and let me know.
I played in English, there was no language/other patch. Unless the English version here is pre-patched?

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Nope. Did you use the incest patch?
I don't think I did. Since it is for the 0.9 version, so wouldn't work and would mess the game up. I do kind of remember them having an ability to rename so didn't understand the point to the patch, I do check a bunch of games so I may be jumbling them in my head on if I used a patch or not.

EuphoriaStudios

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
Alright, even though it should be fixed in the next update, I'll still look into the issue.
Thanks for the info!

EuphoriaStudios

Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
I don't think I did. Since it is for the 0.9 version, so wouldn't work and would mess the game up. I do kind of remember them having an ability to rename so didn't understand the point to the patch, I do check a bunch of games so I may be jumbling them in my head on if I used a patch or not.
I whipped up a quick patch for you. Just drop the content into the game folder, and it should work.

Sober-man

Apr 3, 2023
I whipped up a quick patch for you. Just drop the content into the game folder, and it should work.
What exactly does the patch do? I don't see any changes.
Lora is still a landlady
1.png
Also mc call her by her name. I might be advised to change my character's name to "Mom", but wouldn't the other characters then call her "Mom" too?

edit:
Ok, I figured it out. First, I needed to install the patch that's in the OP, and then apply the second patch.

EuphoriaStudios
but I noticed a little flaw,
1 when mc unpacked the boxes and mom came in, he called her by name.
2 and when they go on a date

Last edited:
3.00 star(s) 9 Votes