• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Recommended Anti-malware\Ransomware Programs?

Onysko

Jun 5, 2017
Hey ya'll, I'm looking for a decent software that protects from malware, specifically ransomware. I have been using Malware Bytes for the past year, but I'm somewhat disappointed, as it is buggy to the extent that sometimes I don't even know if I'm protected or not. :oops:

So I was wondering if anyone here cares to recommend me a different one? I don't mind if they cost money, in fact, I'm willing to pay for it happily. o_O

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
Bitdefender is good, but I'd recommend Windows Defender+Malwarebytes(+HitmanPro). I don't like having all my eggs in one basket, and the latter two tools are one of the first steps in removing infections from computers with a malware infection. Malwarebytes is a little buggy on preview versions of Windows 10, but should otherwise be fine on the normal update cycle. You dont need to run it in real-time protection mode, and I wouldn't run only Malwarebytes in the first place.

Onysko

Jun 5, 2017
Bitdefender is good, but I'd recommend Windows Defender+Malwarebytes(+HitmanPro). I don't like having all my eggs in one basket, and the latter two tools are one of the first steps in removing infections from computers with a malware infection. Malwarebytes is a little buggy on preview versions of Windows 10, but should otherwise be fine on the normal update cycle. You dont need to run it in real-time protection mode, and I wouldn't run only Malwarebytes in the first place.
I'm using Windows 7 (no fucking way I'm using Windows 10).
One of the biggest issues I have with Malware Bytes is that it won't update properly, and won't run real time protection, yet it will keep notifying me about it. :idontcare:

So bottom line, I'll give BitDefender a shot once my license ends.
I'll consider Hitman Pro as a secondary protection.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
According to AV Bulletin, AV Comparatives and AV-Test
Best money costing products are: Avira, Bitdefender, Eset, Kaspersky
Best free products are: Avast!, Bitdefender
Best other products: Malwarebytes

IMO any of the pay products mentioned are good, Kaspersky is probably the best by a tiny margin, the two free options each have their small problems (for me), Bitdefender hates installing or working (win 10) and Avast! comes bundled with toolbars and shit (you can customize to not install them), Malwarebytes is best with a license, since its whole idea is to stop things before they get to you, it is kind of ass at dealing with things that got on the system. Never used hitman pro.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Might be on your end o.0
I did have the free version installed, had to update the system, reformatted, since then every time I try to install, it auto uninstalls right after installing. So yeah, it is just how my system interacts with it, but like I said, it is a good anti-virus when it works, the free version is a very set and forget.

Like I said... Malwarebytes has issues for me.
I read, but just giving the answer to your question, it may be your system and like mine with bitdefender it may just be a fluke, or it may only require a reinstall/reformat.

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
I was on malwarebytes but it was always causing me problems. Like I'd click to enable real time protection and it wouldn't. Then it showed that it was on on the taskbar but not in the program, the performace was shit... egh

Onysko

Jun 5, 2017
I did have the free version installed, had to update the system, reformatted, since then every time I try to install, it auto uninstalls right after installing. So yeah, it is just how my system interacts with it, but like I said, it is a good anti-virus when it works, the free version is a very set and forget.

I read, but just giving the answer to your question, it may be your system and like mine with bitdefender it may just be a fluke, or it may only require a reinstall/reformat.
^What TCMS said, and I know others who experienced problems with it as well.

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Firstly MalwareBytes is not antivirus it does what it says on the tin detects malware it is good but you must install an antivirus as well.My personal weapon of choice is bit defender total security 2017 it is a paid for solution but covers all bases Antivirus ,AntiMalware ,Antiphising ,Anti Ransomware ,Anti theft for online transactions and for $35 for 5 device protection you cant really go wrong.that was a sale price so don't know if it still valid but if you want an all in one it a good buy p.s it has a games mode as well. It is a little bit lively with the false positives but they can very easily be rectified

grandefarao

Jun 4, 2017
What surprised me is only this forum has a topic that suggests best anti-malware softwares and no one else does that.
I use Avast + Comodo Firewall and also use Adguard Adblock that protects against phishing and protects my DNS with Norton ConnectSafe, although there are other better DNS servers.

This topic has to be fixed because what is being discussed is extremely important!

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Firstly MalwareBytes is not antivirus it does what it says on the tin detects malware it is good but you must install an antivirus as well.My personal weapon of choice is bit defender total security 2017 it is a paid for solution but covers all bases Antivirus ,AntiMalware ,Antiphising ,Anti Ransomware ,Anti theft for online transactions and for $35 for 5 device protection you cant really go wrong.that was a sale price so don't know if it still valid but if you want an all in one it a good buy p.s it has a games mode as well. It is a little bit lively with the false positives but they can very easily be rectified
Incorrect. Malware bytes is an anti virus and way more capable than most ones out there.
it is a paid for solution
*cough* *cough* *cough*

Onysko

Jun 5, 2017
I also use Avira as an anti-virus, the anti-malware software is in addition to that.

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
The best software, is you. You can have all the best programs in the world but knowing what looks suspicious, puts you ahead of the game.

But I can recommend, Malwarebytes with Hitman Pro.

Onysko

Jun 5, 2017
The best software, is you. You can have all the best programs in the world but knowing what looks suspicious, puts you ahead of the game.

But I can recommend, Malwarebytes with Hitman Pro.
Thanks, but, again... The whole point of the thread is finding a different program that is not Malware Bytes.

And surely, a good defense is indeed staying alert, the anti ransom ware software is another line of defense. And if I wasn't interested in one, I wouldn't have started this thread.