Tool Random Video Player (v1.32) - Don't know what to watch? It's there for you.

Peanutccino

Vampire Enthusiast
Donor
Apr 13, 2019

RVP1_3_Ad_560px.gif

Hi folks,

Have you ever found yourself scrolling through your vast collection of videos, unsure of what to watch, and wishing for a pleasant surprise instead? Well, I know I did.

Playing random videos from your different folders and whatnot is certainly possible with all kinds of players. But the process is often clunky and it always bothered me to go the extra mile for such a simple feature.

I’m a c# rookie at best, but thankfully I found the amazing Mpv-NET library, which let me focus on what truly matters: usability. RVP makes it a breeze to enjoy your video collection in a new and exciting way. With just a few clicks, you’re ready to dive into a seamless viewing experience, where the next video is always a delightful surprise. I have a lot of fun with this and I hope you will too!

Anyways, I've even created my first repository on github for this as I wouldn't trust a stranger and I was always a big supporter of open source. You can find it here:

If you are interested and want to compile it for yourself, please make sure to read the prerequisites carefully as there are two libraries needed, that I could not include in my repository. For other folks I will upload the compiled file with all libraries included.

Please leave feedback, ask me anything or report bugs if you find some <3

Installation:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Microsoft Defender Issues:
I updated the readme on github to reflect on the Microsoft Defender issue and also created a ticket with Microsoft.
Until it might be resolved, the easiest way would be to follow those steps to make an exception for Defender:

Usage:

Hotkeys:

Changes:

Download:

(New Version with sync)

Pic1.png Pic2.png Pic3.png

Last edited:

Peanutccino

Vampire Enthusiast
Donor
Apr 13, 2019
Tried downloading it but windows defender was not a fan and immediately removed it.
Thanks for the reply! That's unfortunate.

Mine doesn't, but I checked both; the executable and it's .dll on VT ( | )

At least one entry finds suspicious code in the .dll ( Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml )

My only guess would be, that it suspects the following code:

Code:
    [DllImport("user32.DLL", EntryPoint = "ReleaseCapture")]
    private extern static void ReleaseCapture();
    [DllImport("user32.DLL", EntryPoint = "SendMessage")]
    private extern static void SendMessage(System.IntPtr hWnd, int wMsg, int wParam, int lParam);
That I have to use in order to make the form aero peek compatible, since I replace the windows form part with my own.

In any case, you could exclude it in windows defender ( )

Though it sounds weird to recommend this to users, hence I'd rather recommend trying to compile by yourself, but that's not an option for everyone :(

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for trying!

Reactions: slimegirl

slimegirl

Nov 11, 2017
Though it sounds weird to recommend this to users, hence I'd rather recommend trying to compile by yourself, but that's not an option for everyone :(
Worst case scenario my entire computer gets bricked and I lose access to all my accounts.
I can take that risk for some randomness.
Seems like for some reason this ZIP file is one that windows defender really doesn't want me to remove from quarantine, since it's not even there and the option to allow it only appears for a few seconds. Tried downloading it 4 times before I finally managed to be quick enough to stop windows defender.

Reactions: Peanutccino

Peanutccino

Vampire Enthusiast
Donor
Apr 13, 2019
Worst case scenario my entire computer gets bricked and I lose access to all my accounts.
I can take that risk for some randomness.
Haha ^^' Well, that should not happen. The code isn't intrusive besides the import of those features. Sorry you had that much trouble. Let me know how you like it if it works now :)

Reactions: slimegirl

Peanutccino

Vampire Enthusiast
Donor
Apr 13, 2019
Peanutccino Not the questions you're expecting, but whats the sauce for you sigs if you dont mind?
Hey, no problem.

1. Clip is Gentiana (Final Fantasy), made by LazyProcrastinator. You can find the full video either on or on f95zone (Download package 2023-01)

2. Is Tifa Lockhart, made by HydraFXX. Again on or on f95zone (Download package "Animations 28-34", it's "32. Tifa Titjob")

3. Is Lara Croft, made by Rash Nemain. Full video on or on f95zone (Package "2023 Jan-Aug")

4. Shows Harley Quinn, also made by Rash Nemain. Long version on or again here on f95zone (2022 package)

5. The last one shows Kiriko (Overwatch), and it's made by Yeero. You know the deal, or in the corresponding thread here on f95zone ( Kiriko Cinematic HQ )

Magic Baiser

Jun 14, 2023
Thanks for the reply! That's unfortunate.

Mine doesn't, but I checked both; the executable and it's .dll on VT ( | )

At least one entry finds suspicious code in the .dll ( Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml )

My only guess would be, that it suspects the following code:

Code:
    [DllImport("user32.DLL", EntryPoint = "ReleaseCapture")]
    private extern static void ReleaseCapture();
    [DllImport("user32.DLL", EntryPoint = "SendMessage")]
    private extern static void SendMessage(System.IntPtr hWnd, int wMsg, int wParam, int lParam);
That I have to use in order to make the form aero peek compatible, since I replace the windows form part with my own.

In any case, you could exclude it in windows defender ( )

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for trying!

on your signiture who made the animation after the tittjob

Sep 6, 2021
looks like a pretty good thing, and i very much like the gui!!!!! def worth discarding vlc for a while ngl.. > could you please tell me how to
1. randomize the playlist
2. use in ear earbuds to play/pause the video, especially when its playing in the background, wasnt able to get that working when it was in the foreground either

and is there any list of shortcuts available?

• Red Heart
Reactions: Peanutccino

Peanutccino

Vampire Enthusiast
Donor
Apr 13, 2019
looks like a pretty good thing, and i very much like the gui!!!!! def worth discarding vlc for a while ngl.. > could you please tell me how to
1. randomize the playlist
2. use in ear earbuds to play/pause the video, especially when its playing in the background, wasnt able to get that working when it was in the foreground either

and is there any list of shortcuts available?
Hey, thank you so much for the feedback. I'm happy that you are enjoying RVP!

To answer your questions:

1. The moment you choose a folder - or a list - to play from, it grabs all the selected files ie. Choosing a Folder with all Subfolders, grabs all files within and shoves them into a list. It then shuffles that list and starts playing from it. So the short answer is, every time you choose a source and play from it, you already have that list shuffled.

I thought about adding a dedicated shuffle button to trigger a re-shuffle manually, though I didn't think it was necessary. A toggle like feature may also be lackluster, as it would play alphabetically vs. random atm.

2. Interesting use case! I do not use such, hence I did not include the necessary hotkey events. I will add those for the next coming update. Thanks for your input!

3. You can find the currently used shortcuts/hotkeys in the main thread under "hotkeys" Though at the moment, I'm working on adding some more info to the UI itself.

I hope that qualifies as a satisfactory answer.

Have a great day!

Sep 6, 2021
Hey, thank you so much for the feedback. I'm happy that you are enjoying RVP!

To answer your questions:

1. The moment you choose a folder - or a list - to play from, it grabs all the selected files ie. Choosing a Folder with all Subfolders, grabs all files within and shoves them into a list. It then shuffles that list and starts playing from it. So the short answer is, every time you choose a source and play from it, you already have that list shuffled.

I thought about adding a dedicated shuffle button to trigger a re-shuffle manually, though I didn't think it was necessary. A toggle like feature may also be lackluster, as it would play alphabetically vs. random atm.

2. Interesting use case! I do not use such, hence I did not include the necessary hotkey events. I will add those for the next coming update. Thanks for your input!

3. You can find the currently used shortcuts/hotkeys in the main thread under "hotkeys" Though at the moment, I'm working on adding some more info to the UI itself.

I hope that qualifies as a satisfactory answer.

Have a great day!
thank you! looking forward to using my airpods to control play pause on my video player playing in the background (something that vlc isnt able to). is there a way to toggle play the list alphabetically, or in parse order? def gonna use it to replace vlc on my laptop since thats all the features i actually use

Smokydoke

Nov 13, 2020
You mean like displaying a random image as in .jpg/.png etc? That would be an easy implementation, as MPV can load whatever media, it's just a matter of what files I'm filterting :D
yes I absolutely need this. I have a lot of stuff and it would be good to randomize it

Peanutccino

Vampire Enthusiast
Donor
Apr 13, 2019
New Version 1.3 release on github:

Updated the threads changelog and shortcut section.

Detailed changes:

• Added a favorite function
    • Press the button or shortcut 'F' to save current file as favorite
    • It will be stored in your selected list location (Default \user\documents\RVP_ListFolder\Favorites.txt)
    • Can be loaded via listbrowser
  • Added a shuffle toggle as per user request by humantrashpile
    • Either press the button or use shortcut 'S' to toggle shuffle 'on' and 'off' (Default 'off')
    • Turned 'on', behavior is like before: Whenever you change a source to play from, RVP will get all files from that source and randomizes the order.
    • Turned 'off' behavior changes to: Whenever you change a source to play from, RVP will get all files from that source and plays in parsing order. (Note: Toggling shuffle will refresh the current list)
      • Since it's playing in parsing order, this also means that when you load from a folder and select "recent files only", the order will be newest => latest
  • Added media shortcuts and changed behavior to hook globally as per user request by humantrashpile
    • Media Play/Pause, Media Previous/Next are supported. Media Stop will be recognized but function wise is the same as Play/Pause
    • Other shortcuts will only work while RVP UI is the active window!
  • Added a file extension filter selection within the settings as per user request by Smokydoke
    • In the settings menu, you can now select what file types are used when loading files (Default video files only)
      • This affects playing from a folder directly. So depending on whether 'Include videos' and 'Include images' is checked, it will load matching file types.
      • This does NOT affect custom lists, as you can manually define what entries should be in your list and it will play those no matter your filter settings.
  • Added a .funscript visualizer for fun and for indicating that a compatible file is loaded
  • Added a help section in the settings menu
    • It links to github (Where you can find latest releases and additional information)
    • And you can find a shortcut list there (Which is also on github and in this thread)
  • Added a new cursor position indicator when hovering the progress bar
    • Previously used the tooltip function which was resource intensive and not satisfying
    • Optimized that and improved UI
  • Bugfixes and optimization
    • Handled some exceptions when you are denied acces to a folder for whatever reason
    • Handled some exceptions when you change paths after loading
    • Removed some timer chunk that was used to retrieve MPV data and instead uses MPV events directly which is a lot less resource intensive
    • Added more savety checks to prevent exceptions

Thank you a lot for all the feedback :love:

Finally, some images with a feature showcase: