• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Question to the developers who had a release on Steam

GPoint

Eternally f*cking shocked
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2022
Hello.
I'm trying to analyze how and what games were successful on Steam in order to understand what aspects are important to users, what interests them, what factors generally influenced the success or failure of the game, for example, how many wishlists the game accumulated before release. I also analyze the number of reviews the game has. And here’s something interesting... the average conversion from sales to reviews is 1 in 30. But obviously, in NSFW themes these are completely different numbers and can vary from genre to genre. I heard about 1 in 90 for a Furry game. Quite logical, not everyone will decide to write a review under such a game, but it is absolutely not a fact that he does not want to play it.
I have a question for developers who are willing to share this information:
What is your average conversion from sales to reviews on Steam and what genre is your game? Or which one you have heard/know about, perhaps the game of your colleagues/friends, but definitely in the NSFW genre. I promise to share my results after the release :)

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Too bad you don't have the dev tag. There's a 120+ page thread about everything Steam that'd most likely answer your question.

Drooskati might be the best person to reach out to for this, though. He seems to have a pretty strong understanding about the technical details of Steam and/or it's numbers.

GPoint

Eternally f*cking shocked
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2022
I’ll finish the demo, then we’ll think about the developer tag, in a couple of weeks I think something will happen :)

Of course, I used the search before asking such a question, but unfortunately I didn’t find anything. Perhaps I didn’t look well, of course, but if it exists somewhere, you need to dig very deep and it’s not a fact that you’ll find it in the end :(

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I’ll finish the demo, then we’ll think about the developer tag, in a couple of weeks I think something will happen :)

Of course, I used the search before asking such a question, but unfortunately I didn’t find anything. Perhaps I didn’t look well, of course, but if it exists somewhere, you need to dig very deep and it’s not a fact that you’ll find it in the end :(
There's a 'private' developer/staff-only sub-forum, that's where the Steam thread is. Should've specified on that, my bad. You wouldn't find it on the main forum with a regular search as you don't have access to it.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
MissFortune I'm REALLY keen on getting that 'developer tag' too. What do I need to do to request it? Do I have to have a published game, or can I get it if I'm already in the development phase?

P.S. Not sure if it counts for anything, but I'm already doing my bit by sharing stuff with this community.
I've been down the same route and despite LARGE contributions to multiple games, the best they could give me was a "modder" tag that still does not let me into the secret circle. Maybe I should put together some piece-of-shit shovelware game with stolen assets and get that coveted badge.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
@MissFortune I'm REALLY keen on getting that 'developer tag' too. What do I need to do to request it? Do I have to have a published game, or can I get it if I'm already in the development phase?
I believe I seen anne O'nymous floating around in there a few times, but I could be mistaken there. So, there might be a way.

But afaik, you need to be a dev or at least part of a team in some form to get the tag.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I've been down the same route and despite LARGE contributions to multiple games, the best they could give me was a "modder" tag that still does not let me into the secret circle. Maybe I should put together some piece-of-shit shovelware game with stolen assets and get that coveted badge.
Don't know if you heard, but after Yihman got stripped of his game dev badge (and later banned from the site), he managed to infiltrate the private dev forum by making a short game with another account. If he could do it, so could you.

I believe I seen anne O'nymous floating around in there a few times, but I could be mistaken there. So, there might be a way.
He is floating around in a lot of places, but not there. Yes, you can find a few of his (and people with no badges at all) posts in a couple of threads in the private dev forum, but that's only because those threads were started elsewhere and then moved to the private dev forum.

AlternateDreams

I'm tired, boss.
Game Developer
Apr 6, 2021
There's a 'private' developer/staff-only sub-forum, that's where the Steam thread is. Should've specified on that, my bad. You wouldn't find it on the main forum with a regular search as you don't have access to it.
Really? I recently looked up what the developer badge was for and the only information I found didn't mention access to a sub-forum (and as I already had access to Programming, Development & Art I didn't ask myself any more questions about it).
Are there other sections that are only accessible with this badge?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Really? I recently looked up what the developer badge was for and the only information I found didn't mention access to a sub-forum (and as I already had access to Programming, Development & Art I didn't ask myself any more questions about it).
Are there other sections that are only accessible with this badge?
They can only tell you after you have participated in the ritual and your soul is gone to feed Demon Lord Rance.