• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Question about Windows 10

• Thread starter Deleted member 42
  • Start date

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
You can install W7 on Ryzen. Windows Update won't work, but you can still install updates manually.
The other issue is USB drivers, although yep you can get it running on some motherboards.

If you have Ryzen or Kaby Lake it really isn't worth the hassle trying to get it running and then also having to manually download and install standalone updates. 10 isn't that bad, and you can remove/disable/tweak enough of the bs to get it close enough to 7 in terms of usability and privacy.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Oh that's interesting about Ryzen and Win 7. I'll let him know to try, then. Thanks!
And.. he pirates the windows.. :p

sifilis

Apr 27, 2017
10 isn't that bad, and you can remove/disable/tweak enough of the bs to get it close enough to 7 in terms of usability and privacy.
And then an update comes and it resets all your tweaks so you have to redo them all.

Just download a W7 version with USB drivers and all updates integrated and you're all set.

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
You can install W7 on Ryzen. Windows Update won't work, but you can still install updates manually.
To elaborate:
On Ryzen and Kaby Lake Windows 7 en Windows 8.x Windows can be installed, but Microsoft updating Windows. Not sure about Threadripper.
I don't know if the workaround described still works, but I wouldn't try it.
If you have a new processor and are on the fence about Windows 10, here are your options:
1. Get a Mac
2. Install Linux. I like Mint linux, but there's roughly 14.325 flavours to test.
3. Depending on your pov: (get over your irrational fear of Microsoft / bend over, drop your pants and let Microsoft have its way) and run Windows 10 anyway.
4. Try to trade your brand new monster PC for your neighbours 5 year old bucket of rust.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Sooner or later we'll all be infected with the windows 10 virus. I have it on one machine right now, fortunately it's detached from my network.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
And then an update comes and it resets all your tweaks so you have to redo them all.

Just download a W7 version with USB drivers and all updates integrated and you're all set.
With Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise updates shouldn't mess with your settings too much. I'd also far prefer to have to occasionally redo my tweaks rather than be running an insecure system if I forget to manually update.

You'll also need different drivers for different motherboards.

sissybarbie

Jul 1, 2017
You can install this little program:

It can disable a lot of Windows 10 new "features", including the automatic updates.