• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Question about Windows 10

• Thread starter Deleted member 42
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42

Yeah i know i'm kinda late about this but i just didn't want W10 but now i actually need dx12 and i'm thinking to get it but i'm not really sure about this whole privacy thing, about how Microsoft shares your privacy etc like i've read people saying lol or am i reading too much into it? . How's W10 performance wise btw?

Anyways i'd like some opinions about it.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Win 10 runs fine (now). As for privacy, you'll need to Google all the nooks and crannies that you have to go to to turn off all the MS trackers. Once you turn all the snoopware off (I turned Cortana off, too) you shouldn't have too many privacy issues.

D

Deleted member 42

Win 10 runs fine (now). As for privacy, you'll need to Google all the nooks and crannies that you have to go to to turn off all the MS trackers. Once you turn all the snoopware off (I turned Cortana off, too) you shouldn't have too many privacy issues.
I found a "tool" on reddit that pretty much disables everything like that, so i guess that should do it? But how's win10 in gaming compared to win7?. Anyways i'll get in on my laptop too but it isn't really good, its a dual core with 4gb ram but not sure if win10 would work on that haha

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I found a "tool" on reddit that pretty much disables everything like that, so i guess that should do it? But how's win10 in gaming compared to win7?. Anyways i'll get in on my laptop too but it isn't really good, its a dual core with 4gb ram but not sure if win10 would work on that haha
I wouldn't rely on any "tool" for the privacy settings because Win 10 is constantly being updated.

Gaming wise, Win 10 is just the latest operating system; newer games will run better, older games will have compatibility issues.

And yes, your laptop is a potato. :eek:penedeyewink:

Macari

Nov 14, 2016

that will run win10 fine I have win 10 on a AMD A 3620 APU with 4gb ram and it runs fine across the board howver if u didn't take advantage of the free upgrade last year you will have to pay for it, aprrox £90

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
You can still get a free upgrade to Windows 10 without a need for a crack by saying you have an accessibility issue -

Reactions: Papa Ernie

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
You can still get a free upgrade to Windows 10 without a need for a crack by saying you have an accessibility issue -
The shit I learn... ROFL

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
Does microsoft considers a girlfriend as an assistive technology? Not sure there's a lot of technology in it, but it's the only assistance I use...

D

Deleted member 42

Is this actually legit? lol TIL
EDIT: I want a clean install but this says upgrade, i should prolly just use kmspico :p

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
upgrade 1st once win 10 has registered with your machine you can then clean install.You can get Media creation tool from MS which will give you the option of creating install media on a flash drive or a DVD link to MS media creation Tool

Last edited:
Reactions: muttdoggy and Sam

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
upgrade 1st once win 10 has registered with your machine you can then clean install.You can get Media creation tool from MS which will give you the option of creating install media on a flash drive or a DVD link to MS media creation Tool

Alternatively, you could do a fresh install of windows 7, activate with Daz, then upgrade to 10 using the accessibility link, giving you a fully activated and 'legit' copy of 10.

Commando

Oct 13, 2016
+1 in clean install.

I was part of the initial wave of windows 7 users that were forced to upgrade to windows 10 due to OS corruption/accessibility issues. I tried to use the provided windows OS updater tool, horrible results. Kernel/shell files were not properly updated and caused a whole host of problems.

This was about two years ago? So I can't speak to the efficiency of the new tool. Windows 10 is a Ram hog, so when you or if you switch over get ready to spend some time "optimizing."

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
This was about two years ago? So I can't speak to the efficiency of the new tool. Windows 10 is a Ram hog, so when you or if you switch over get ready to spend some time "optimizing."
Not really. Windows 7 uses more resources than Windows 8, which uses slightly more resources than Windows 8.1, which uses more resources than Windows 10. I have faith in Microsoft they'll reverse this trend of getting leaner, but for now it holds true.
Privacy concerns are pretty legit though, and I don't really like build 1703 (1607 was fine). You are giving up control of your own hardware as well. Blocking updates or build-upgrades is nigh on impossible.

Reactions: Commando

Commando

Oct 13, 2016
Fair enough, maybe my metric is off.

After all, I didn't do a clean install so likely there were underlying problems that skewed my assessment.

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
I was part of the initial wave of windows 7 users that were forced to upgrade to windows 10 due to OS corruption/accessibility issues. I tried to use the provided windows OS updater tool, horrible results. Kernel/shell files were not properly updated and caused a whole host of problems.
No one was forced to upgrade yes they were pretty aggressive in pushing win 10 but the choice to upgrade was entirely yours.I upgraded in early stages and then went back to win 7 my machine now registered so i can throw win 10 on when i feel like it which wont happen until i need dx12 and even then it will be a dual boot as in my opinion win 10 is spyware

Commando

Oct 13, 2016
No one was forced to upgrade yes they were pretty aggressive in pushing win 10 but the choice to upgrade was entirely yours.I upgraded in early stages and then went back to win 7 my machine now registered so i can throw win 10 on when i feel like it which wont happen until i need dx12 and even then it will be a dual boot as in my opinion win 10 is spyware
Forced as in, I was in a situation where there were issues with my OS and upgrading to 10 was to me a logical step. I wasn't trying to make anyone infer that the product dissemination was mandatory.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Forced as in, I was in a situation where there were issues with my OS and upgrading to 10 was to me a logical step. I wasn't trying to make anyone infer that the product dissemination was mandatory.
You're also forced into Windows 10 if you're using the latest Intel or AMD CPUs.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
My uncle wants to build a new ryzen system running windows 7. But he's pissed cuz someone at his work told him that the way MS has it set up, you cannot run the ryzen with windows 7 :(
He's the kind who HATES the internet and won't hook up to it except to register progs thru his phone.

sifilis

Apr 27, 2017
You can install W7 on Ryzen. Windows Update won't work, but you can still install updates manually.