• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unreal Engine Projekt Melody: A Nut Between Worlds! [v0.5.2.3 Alpha] [Big Bang Studio]

2.30 star(s) 13 Votes

Quarcling

Mar 3, 2022
I totally understand the struggle of trying to make a game with a larger-scope vision like this with a smaller team. But I don't really see that vision executed well in this project. It seems like a bunch of different ideas throw together so the game can have "more stuff" without it really making sense why the game needs it or what the purpose is. The dialogue portions of the game seem the best developed, IMO that is the strength of the project so far. Trying to go in all kinds of different directions, exploration, combat etc just strikes me as unrealistic and taking what could be a handful of well-developed features (like the dialogue) and expanding on that over 2-3 years, the scope just keeps getting bigger and bigger without finishing the last feature (or even justifying why those features are necessary). Just my two cents. I'd like to see the game slow down and FINISH one thing at a time before adding 2-3 other things (which are also just partial, incomplete implementations).

Any Game Dev can tell you this: Game development is messy and non-linear. It’s full of reworks and updates, and things rarely go as planned. We’ve been open about our process in our blog posts and on our discord. The reality is, making games involves trial and error, and if you’re not failing, you’re probably not pushing hard enough ... or never tried in the first place.

You also can’t just finish one system and move on to the next; they’re all connected in some way and need to be developed together. Look up topics such as cohesion and coupling if you want to know more.

2.30 star(s) 13 Votes