Problems with HDRI skies

13a

Jul 22, 2018
Hi again, today I'm tryng to learn how to create environments, but I have a problem with skies, when I a put a sky into the scene there's a space in my horizon line, as you can see in the picture and I don't know how fix this. The same happens when I put Iray Sky pro. Thanks.

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
Are you using HDRIs or sky props? (if you could indicate which specific asset you're using in the example picture that would be helpful)
Also, can you show your "Environment" options on the Render Settings tab?

13a

Jul 22, 2018
Are you using HDRIs or sky props? (if you could indicate which specific asset you're using in the example picture that would be helpful)
Also, can you show your "Environment" options on the Render Settings tab?
Hi, thanks for your answer, now I'm using KASP Iray sky pro but it also happens with HDRIs like in the picture of the question.

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
So the reason for the gap with KASP is because those are more like props rather than environments. It's basically a flat plane running parallel above the floor. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, HDRI is probably a better option. It's important to find the right HDRI for the right situation as well.

Looking at the first example again, it looks like you might be applying the HDRI as a backdrop instead of environment map. HDRIs are meant to wrap around the scene like a present with your assets on the inside.

Rather than applying the HDRI to the environment pane as a backdrop, find it in your content list and just double-click the one you want to apply to the scene. What may be misleading you is that when you do this, you won't see it in the viewport like you do with backdrop. You can turn on your IRAY preview to see it.

See examples below both using Sedor Iray Sky 34.

HDRI as backdrop:
1712352951609.png

HDRI as environment map:
1712353457984.png

13a

Jul 22, 2018
thanks, now I can see the HDRI, but I don't know how to modified the horizon line, I want the sky and the sea together making one horizon line.

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
The horizon line is going to depend on each individual HDRI. To help with the one you're using you can play around with the "dome orientation" settings. X & Z will tilt it toward the floor. Y is going to rotate it - it's basically the same thing as the dome rotation setting.
The dome is like a sphere and the numeric values are degrees of rotation so you can probably bring the horizon together with a pretty small value (1-20).