Problem opening ren'py games.

MohammadBNA

Oct 8, 2017
hey there, so since yesterday, I can't open any ren'py games. I get the error below:

before yesterday, everything was fine, I could open games without any problem. then, there was a power outage, and when I turned my pc on, this is the message I've been constantly getting. I've restored my pc to 4-5 days before the accident, still getting the same error. and as you can see, it's not a problem with encoding, clearly, my username isn't in some language that can cause encoding problems. so what you guys think I should do?

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Uhm.... why is your FamilySecret.exe in your Temp folder? X_x And why does it look for the FamilySecret.py in AppData?

Actually forget the above, where did you install the game to? I don't think any one of these folders is the one you installed it to right?

Did you try reinstalling the game?

Pepé Le Pew

Resident Skunk
Uploader
Game Compressor
Donor
Former Staff
Feb 3, 2017
you need to extract the content of the zip file... just like stated under installation in the game thread...

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
seriously? That's the error you get if you didn't unpack the game? :D Never even tried that lol :D

Pepé Le Pew

Resident Skunk
Uploader
Game Compressor
Donor
Former Staff
Feb 3, 2017
i guess... because if you run the exe from the zip file it would place the exe in a temp folder... but only the exe.. :)

MohammadBNA

Oct 8, 2017
I don't run the game from the zip file, its extracted, and its in another drive, not C: . so any solutions then?

MohammadBNA

Oct 8, 2017
Uhm.... why is your FamilySecret.exe in your Temp folder? X_x And why does it look for the FamilySecret.py in AppData?

Actually, forget the above, where did you install the game to? I don't think any one of these folders is the one you installed it to right?

Did you try reinstalling the game?
actually, I don't really know why it says its located there. the game is on another drive, and renpy games are portable, not installable packages.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Go to [main folder of the game]\lib\windows-i686\ You'll see another "FamillySecret.exe". Is it running when you directly use it ?
Else, search in "C:\user\[you]\AppData\Roaming". You'll find a "Ren'py" folder with a copy of all the "game\save" folders of all the Ren'py games you've played. Delete everything and retry.

All this said, it can also be a virus. Not unusual that they duplicate the exe and put it somewhere you don't look, then call it. So, also try removing everything related to the game and "install" it again.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Yeah I know that renpy games are portable (I'm creating one ;) ) but I still call it installing it :D Even though it's actually just unpacking :p But an installer is nothing else than an unpacker that sets some registry entries ;)

Ok, try what AON suggested. I can't think of much more actually. Did you try to download a renpy game you never played before? And please make sure to delete all files in C:\Users\Mohammad\AppData\Local\Temp

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
looks like you selected run instead of save on completion of download that would be the only reason i can see for it being in temp folder