[POLL] Help me choose a character for my game (renders)

Number one or two?

Votes: 35 47.9%

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 2 (with some tweaks of the face)

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • i can't decide too :/

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • none of them

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ataly

Jan 25, 2019
Hi

I decided to create a game in renpy. It'll have multiple MC's (male and female), and as for female, i can't decide between two characters i've made. So will you help me? :D

Things such as skin tone, or hair may change, but the "main theme" will remain the same :D

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I'll say this, whichever you go with (I voted for the first one and the edited second one) you should definitely make the other one a character in the game overall. They're gorgeous and it would be a waste not to use them.

I will also say, it's often best to make your Main Character representative of a "general populace" in the west that means brunettes would be ideal. However, there's a lot to be said about shaking things up and making the MC something more rare, both because it attracts those who will attach themselves to it, and because the general population crave variety.

You simply need to decide which you're catering to.

215303j

@DarthSeduction makes some good points (as usual). ;)

Although both are really good looking, I would personally prefer the redhead, although maybe you could tweak the eyes / facial expression a little bit. Presenly she looks a bit stoned or something.

But MC's tend to be a bit bland. For good reason as the player is more able to self-insert with a bland MC. So depending on how much self-insertion you are going for, the brunette could be a "tactical" choice.

Nevermind which one you go for, they are looking absolutely great and I'm already looking forward to your game! (y)

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
I agree with @Thialf .
Can't decide between the two brunettes: I'd go for the second one, but I'd like to see her in the same pose of the first one.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Both are good so it all goes on personal taste, so literally throw a coin.
I picked 1 cos redheads.
I mean c'mon, redheads, how can you not pick 1?

Reactions: netsrac

kshyk

Mar 18, 2018
Number 2 is so beautiful!!! It's hard to choose a character if you don't know nothing about her (personality, small background).
But I do hope number 2 is going to be main character in your game :)

Reactions: Megnold

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Went for 2 tweaked, she looks very unique and expressive and that's a win in my book.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Number 2 is so beautiful!!! It's hard to choose a character if you don't know nothing about her (personality, small background).
But I do hope number 2 is going to be main character in your game :)
This is actually a really good point. Determining what a character might look like without considering who they are might result in a weird character.

I mean, we don't have to fit everyone into boxes, but looking at the images you've provided, 2 edit is a much more assertive looking character than 1 is.

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
I prefer 2 with tweaks. And I suspect you do as well, considering you clearly put the most effort into that render by clothing her, and giving her a different pose from the other ones.

Reactions: Back and 215303j

215303j

This is actually a really good point. Determining what a character might look like without considering who they are might result in a weird character.

I mean, we don't have to fit everyone into boxes, but looking at the images you've provided, 2 edit is a much more assertive looking character than 1 is.
Not sure if I agree with this.

First of all, to be fair, I think we need to compare 1 and 2 because "2 tweaked" has a different pose and facial expression, which gives off a different feeling.

I also think that "type casting" is not a good thing, especially not in 3DCG games where you have a lot of control over the characters appearance. Type casting in general is a bit boring and predictable in my opinion.

One character that I really like is the "slightly overweight" girlfriend Emma in Take Over. Not because she's very pretty (I generally prefer petite), although she has a kind of cute face, but she feels genuine, especially for a written character. She's shy at first, but later on proves to be quite smart as well as assertive, in a way. I wish there were more girls like this in these games.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Not sure if I agree with this.

First of all, to be fair, I think we need to compare 1 and 2 because "2 tweaked" has a different pose and facial expression, which gives off a different feeling.

I also think that "type casting" is not a good thing, especially not in 3DCG games where you have a lot of control over the characters appearance. Type casting in general is a bit boring and predictable in my opinion.

One character that I really like is the "slightly overweight" girlfriend Emma in Take Over. Not because she's very pretty (I generally prefer petite), although she has a kind of cute face, but she feels genuine, especially for a written character. She's shy at first, but later on proves to be quite smart as well as assertive, in a way. I wish there were more girls like this in these games.
I get what you're saying, for me, what makes the brunette look more bold and assertive is actually her very prominent eyebrows, and piercing eyes, which are present in both versions of her.

As I said in my initial comment, we don't need to force everyone into boxes, but, not giving her those qualities would be a waste of her features. With the redhead, I'll agree, she could be just as bold and assertive overall, the character writing being 100% the same. The fact of the matter is, though, that the one with the features to compliment it would likely, through the art, convey that boldness clearer.

I certainly agree that there's no reason to force yourself to do those things, and that you could design a bimbo of a character which plays as shy and quiet, just as you can design a flat chested tomboy super slut. Sometimes, doing so can be half the fun. However, sometimes, you choose your character design to fit the mold.

PantyShot

Sep 6, 2017
I'd say the brunette got slightly more charm, but that redhead is well... a redhead, so she kinda wins by default.