Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes
Sep 12, 2023
I succesfully ported my rpgm mv games to linux by updating nw.js per the guides posted here. Theres a minor issue where it creates a .pki folder in $HOME. Any way i can avoid this and let it use ~/.local/share/pki?

Sep 10, 2022
I'm having an issue with Space Paws, I downloaded both SWF and EXE and I was using wine, but both always crash on a scene. Anyone has an idea why?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Anyone has an idea why?
If you launch Wine from a terminal, what does the error say when the game crashes?
Alternatively, did you try to play the game natively? A Linux player can be downloaded from on archive.org, or you could use Ruffle.
Also, take a look at the comments on : for instance, they say that game crashes when you try to save and there is a dot in the path file. There are other suggestions as well.

Arrchman

May 16, 2020
Are the RPG Maker instructions still up to date? winegstreamer isn't listed in winecfg's library list. Running the game without disabling winegstreamer, means running the game but with delayed sound effects (in the menu I can move around, but the sound effects don't all sound the same and are delayed and the terminal is constantly spitting out messages about dropped bytes in quartz:DSoundRender_SendSampleData and data underruns in quartz:DSoundRender_UpdatePositions. Passing WINEDLLOVERRIDES="winegstreamer=" runs the game but without any sound effects. Installing quartz through winetricks as someone talked about on here has the consequence of freezing the game for several seconds whenever a sound effect is to be played and never actually playing the sound effect.

This is with wine-8.17 and Henteria Chronicles: Chapter 1 main menu

Jul 28, 2019
Are the RPG Maker instructions still up to date? winegstreamer isn't listed in winecfg's library list. Running the game without disabling winegstreamer, means running the game but with delayed sound effects (in the menu I can move around, but the sound effects don't all sound the same and are delayed and the terminal is constantly spitting out messages about dropped bytes in quartz:DSoundRender_SendSampleData and data underruns in quartz:DSoundRender_UpdatePositions. Passing WINEDLLOVERRIDES="winegstreamer=" runs the game but without any sound effects. Installing quartz through winetricks as someone talked about on here has the consequence of freezing the game for several seconds whenever a sound effect is to be played and never actually playing the sound effect.

This is with wine-8.17 and Henteria Chronicles: Chapter 1 main menu
Hm, it seems to work okay for me using the instructions in the OP. I lack sound effects in the dialogues (should they exist) but they are fine for interactables (doors, etc) and the x menu, certainly no delay. And the endless music plays. (I'm using vanilla wine 8.20)

The two ways I know of to disable winegstreamer are:
1) passing WINEDLLOVERRIDES="winegstreamer=d" (note the 'd')
2) in winecfg in the box "New override for library:" type winegstreamer then in the existing overrides box rightclick winegstreamer and select the disable option

Did you also install 'directmusic'?

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
Hello! I've recently changed to a nvme and when I tried to copy the .wine prefix I made, the dll kernel didn't work or so it said. So I think it's better to create a new one on this new install, after installing a few things rpgmaker games ran fine, but now I'm having problems with unity games. the problem is that the mouse keeps spinning when I try to move it, but that only happens when I change winecfg to play using a virtual desktop, and not on full screen. Any ideas?

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
Hello! I've recently changed to a nvme and when I tried to copy the .wine prefix I made, the dll kernel didn't work or so it said. So I think it's better to create a new one on this new install, after installing a few things rpgmaker games ran fine, but now I'm having problems with unity games. the problem is that the mouse keeps spinning when I try to move it, but that only happens when I change winecfg to play using a virtual desktop, and not on full screen. Any ideas?
Hey there. Do you have any joystick devices in your system? For example, some a4tech hardware provide such a device. Here is an example of my udev rule to deal with that (commented one was working for years before some update, I had to change it to be more specific):
Bash:
 $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/83-remove-a4tech-joystick.rules 

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09da", ATTRS{idProduct}=="77c8", RUN:="/bin/sh -c '/bin/rm -f $env{DEVNAME}; for i in $env{DEVLINKS}; do /bin/rm -f $i; done'"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ENC}=="A4Tech", ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}=="1", RUN:="/bin/sh -c '/bin/rm -f $env{DEVNAME}; for i in $env{DEVLINKS}; do /bin/rm -f $i; done'"
If you're interested here is the rule for my xboxdrv device, I had some problems with my actual gamepad too (and it changed its name recently):

Bash:
 $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/90-event.rules
KERNEL=="js*", SUBSYSTEMS=="input", MODE="660", GROUP="games"
KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEMS=="input", MODE="660", GROUP="games"
#Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver
#Microsoft X-Box 360 pad
KERNEL=="js*", SUBSYSTEMS=="input", ATTRS{name}=="Microsoft X-Box 360 pad", ATTRS{properties}=="0", SYMLINK:="input/jsx1"

#KERNEL=="uinput", SUBSYSTEM=="misc", MODE="0660", GROUP="games"
For it to work properly I have to modprobe joydev module (uinput module is loaded by xboxdrv)

Still, I had some difficulties with Unity games not being able to detect my gamepad, it was only detected properly in fullscreen mode (fake fullscreen iirc).

Oh, there is also export SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/jsx1, the usual evdev route doesn't work and evdev probably not even shipped with modern systems (it's libinput nowadays), so wine can have some problems with gamepads due to that (for example, for me, rumble was broken in some games, but working with joy.cpl). Not to mention a long-standing issue where games cannot detect your type of gamepad (wine problem). Likely won't be fixed ever, but then again, they've started fixing midi, so rpgmaker games are probably playable without the need to manually convert midi to ogg now (winetricks gmdls approach was fine but it made every other game broken).

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
Hey there. Do you have any joystick devices in your system? For example, some a4tech hardware provide such a device. Here is an example of my udev rule to deal with that (commented one was working for years before some update, I had to change it to be more specific):
Bash:
 $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/83-remove-a4tech-joystick.rules

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09da", ATTRS{idProduct}=="77c8", RUN:="/bin/sh -c '/bin/rm -f $env{DEVNAME}; for i in $env{DEVLINKS}; do /bin/rm -f $i; done'"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ENC}=="A4Tech", ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}=="1", RUN:="/bin/sh -c '/bin/rm -f $env{DEVNAME}; for i in $env{DEVLINKS}; do /bin/rm -f $i; done'"
If you're interested here is the rule for my xboxdrv device, I had some problems with my actual gamepad too (and it changed its name recently):

Bash:
 $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/90-event.rules
KERNEL=="js*", SUBSYSTEMS=="input", MODE="660", GROUP="games"
KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEMS=="input", MODE="660", GROUP="games"
#Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver
#Microsoft X-Box 360 pad
KERNEL=="js*", SUBSYSTEMS=="input", ATTRS{name}=="Microsoft X-Box 360 pad", ATTRS{properties}=="0", SYMLINK:="input/jsx1"

#KERNEL=="uinput", SUBSYSTEM=="misc", MODE="0660", GROUP="games"
For it to work properly I have to modprobe joydev module (uinput module is loaded by xboxdrv)

Still, I had some difficulties with Unity games not being able to detect my gamepad, it was only detected properly in fullscreen mode (fake fullscreen iirc).

Oh, there is also export SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/jsx1, the usual evdev route doesn't work and evdev probably not even shipped with modern systems (it's libinput nowadays), so wine can have some problems with gamepads due to that (for example, for me, rumble was broken in some games, but working with joy.cpl). Not to mention a long-standing issue where games cannot detect your type of gamepad (wine problem). Likely won't be fixed ever, but then again, they've started fixing midi, so rpgmaker games are probably playable without the need to manually convert midi to ogg now (winetricks gmdls approach was fine but it made every other game broken).
No I didn't have a joystick connected at the time, however just like your system, it was detecting something else as such, in my case the asrock led controller:

Bash:
 $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/01-asrock-LED-controller.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="26ce", ATTRS{idProduct}=="01a2", ATTR{authorized}="0"
after I created the rule exception, the asrock thing dissapeared, but the mouse drift kept happening. In my older system I just had to alt + tab and return, but it doesn't seem to work now. Any ideas on what I need to check? maybe a library in winecfg?

edit: wrong command path

Last edited:

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
to alt + tab and return
If you have something related to alt-tabbing, you might need to add a registry key with wine-staging reg add 'HKCU\Software\Wine\X11 Driver' /v UseTakeFocus /t REG_SZ /d no and without that Unity games were constantly getting stuck after focus loss. I think they might've changed some behavior since then, but there was no proper fix yet at the time. Do you see any other devices in wine-staging control joy.cpl (event ones are usually separate)?

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
Do you see any other devices in wine-staging control joy.cpl (event ones are usually separate)?
None, not in controllers, Dinput or Xinput

I'll try the wine-staging reg add 'HKCU\Software\Wine\X11 Driver' /v UseTakeFocus /t REG_SZ /d no [ICODE], although I'm not using the staging version. should I change to that actually?

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
I don't mind not having the virtual because without it the mouse works normally, but then alt +tab will freeze mouse and keyboard inputs until I close wine

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
should I change to that actually?
I mean, you probably should. If your distro provides a wine-proton package (like the actual one and not the user maintained or prebuilt because these will probably be dependent on unavailable system libs), also get that, as it has a much better game compatibility overall. In my opinion, it's an absolute must. Some rare cases (very rare) can be better with the wine-staging package still, I don't think I ever found anything where wine-vanilla was preferable. But you also supposed to manually install dxvk and don't forget to keep both prefixes separate. Don't pollute your prefixes with winetricks/protontricks much since doing so drops the chances that games will work properly.

Other than that, it might be something related to Wayland and/or WM (I've seen some strange behavior).

Reactions: p0m

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
I mean, you probably should. If your distro provides a wine-proton package (like the actual one and not the user maintained or prebuilt because these will probably be dependent on unavailable system libs), also get that, as it has a much better game compatibility overall. In my opinion, it's an absolute must. Some rare cases (very rare) can be better with the wine-staging package still, I don't think I ever found anything where wine-vanilla was preferable. But you also supposed to manually install dxvk and don't forget to keep both prefixes separate. Don't pollute your prefixes with winetricks/protontricks much since doing so drops the chances that games will work properly.

Other than that, it might be something related to Wayland and/or WM (I've seen some strange behavior).
I'll try that then. Also, is there a command that I can add to a .sh file that forces the game to NOT use the virtual desktop? so that in cases such as oedo trigger it goes full screen and at least the mouse will work, even if alt tabbing results in a crash, Allowing other games to still work with alt tabbing

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
and what do you know, now it works with virtual desktop using wine-staging! but now the mouse escapes the window in oedo trigger, any ideas?

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
I'll try that then. Also, is there a command that I can add to a .sh file that forces the game to NOT use the virtual desktop? so that in cases such as oedo trigger it goes full screen and at least the mouse will work, even if alt tabbing results in a crash, Allowing other games to still work with alt tabbing
I don't think there is an env var for that, but you can disable it with regedit or winetricks (i.e. winetricks vd=off). Pretty sure wine-proton is patched in such a way that vd is not needed anymore (like ever). Mouse issue might get fixed too. By the way, sometimes you have to disable dxvk, so WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dxgi=b;d3d11=b;d3d10core=b;d3d9=b" can be used, meaning you don't have keep a separate prefix without dxvk. Don't forget to manually copy/link real windows fonts if you use wine (into ${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ since your fonts from other locations won't be used and you want proper fonts for many games).

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
I don't think there is an env var for that, but you can disable it with regedit or winetricks (i.e. winetricks vd=off). Pretty sure wine-proton is patched in such a way that vd is not needed anymore (like ever). Mouse issue might get fixed too. By the way, sometimes you have to disable dxvk, so WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dxgi=b;d3d11=b;d3d10core=b;d3d9=b" can be used, meaning you don't have keep a separate prefix without dxvk. Don't forget to manually copy/link real windows fonts if you use wine (into ${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ since your fonts from other locations won't be used and you want proper fonts for many games).
So it's worth a shot to change to wine-proton from wine-staging? Also proton comes from steam, right? Having steam installed won't do some shenanigans as to detect the game running and associate to steam profile right? I remember something like this happening when I was learning to run some games here on windows

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
So it's worth a shot to change to wine-proton from wine-staging?
Yes, absolutely.
Also proton comes from steam, right? Having steam installed won't do some shenanigans as to detect the game running and associate to steam profile right? I remember something like this happening when I was learning to run some games here on windows
I was using binary proton-ge-custom which is supposedly more or less the same as the actual thing and it was working without Steam runtime. Now I build valve-proton myself so it properly depends on my system libs (such as gstreamer and ffmpeg). The only difference from the usual wine I see is that user name is "steamuser". Oh and there is also protontricks tool (which I never used before).

aalexkj24

Dec 18, 2018
So it's worth a shot to change to wine-proton from wine-staging? Also proton comes from steam, right? Having steam installed won't do some shenanigans as to detect the game running and associate to steam profile right? I remember something like this happening when I was learning to run some games here on windows
gloriouseggroll have a wine with fixes and features from proton ( ). You don't need to install steam for this.

If you want take full advantage of the those builds, use liquorix or some other zen kernals

fasefive

Apr 27, 2019
hey guys I cant get Lewd Gym working, it uses NWJS..

tried two NWJS versions that i know work on other games

this is the error log:
[5716:5716:1128/155434.154787:ERROR:policy_logger.cc(157)] :components/enterprise/browser/controller/chrome_browser_cloud_management_controller.cc(163) Cloud management controller initialization aborted as CBCM is not enabled.
[1128/155435.206692:ERROR:elf_dynamic_array_reader.h(64)] tag not found
[1128/155435.207678:ERROR:elf_dynamic_array_reader.h(64)] tag not found
[5827:5827:1128/155437.718217:FATAL:nw_custom_bindings.cc(310)] Check failed: !cache->rejected.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes