Patreon new fee

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
My first instinct is "what's this shit?", but I'm probably missing something (I hope so).
So if I pledged 1$ before, Patron got his 5% and I lost 1$, from the 18th if I want to pledge 1$ I have to pay 1$ plus 37.9% more?

Dear patron,

Your support is truly changing the lives of creators around the world. You give creators a reliable paycheck that enables them to do their best work. Thank you thank you thank you.

In order to continue our mission of funding the creative class, we’re always looking for ways to do what’s best for our creators. With that, we’re writing to tell you of a change we’re making so that all Patreon creators take home exactly 95% of every pledge, with no additional fees.

Aside from Patreon’s existing 5% fee, a creator’s income on Patreon varies because of processing fees every month. They can lose anywhere from 7-15% of their earnings to these fees. This means creators actually take home a lower percentage of your pledge than you may realize. Our goal is to make creators’ paychecks as predictable as possible, so we’re restructuring how these fees are paid.

Starting December 18th, we will apply a new service fee of 2.9% + $0.35 that patrons will pay for each individual pledge. This service fee helps keep Patreon up and running.

We want you to know that we approach every change with thoughtfulness for creators and patrons. By standardizing Patreon’s fees, we’re ensuring that creators get paid to continue creating high quality content. If you have questions or would like to learn more, please visit our here.

Sincerely,
The Patreon team
I'm gonna be totally honest: I am one of those patrons who like to distribuite pledges over a lot of creators using low pledges (from 1 to 5 €)..if this is gonna go online I'm gonna delete ALL of them

Thx to Thanatos69:
Pledge / Fee
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

nuclearnemo

Aug 5, 2016
The thing is that, previously the creators had to pay the handling fees for using patreon. That amount was quite high originally. Now however the creators only pay around 5%. The pledgers however now pay the handling fees, the 2.9% + 0.35 ontop of your regular pledge. If you pledge $1 dollar, you now have to pay atleast $1.38.

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
Full post below
(Click it)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Personally I feel its a good thing.
Sure we paid for the fees now - but the content creators get an more accurate share.
I don't mind paying a bit more as it is a - small effect per individual - but huge - when it comes to content creators!!
All in all - think this is only a positive step in the right direction.

Last edited:

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
I think I don't like it at all.
The creator could always balance the fee between the low and high pledges, now the patrons who like to distribuite their pledges by supporting a lot of creators with lower pledges are going to pay *a lot* more(10-37.9% more, probably) and eventually stop supporting altogether.
Myself included (especially considering I was already tilted because of the new stupid rules on adult content and the subsequent censoring)

Last edited:

thanatos69

Oct 28, 2016
It seems to be a strategy to wipe the lowest tiers out. After all, Patreon makes more money with the highest tiers so it's pushing the lower pledgers to either increase their payments or get out.

Reactions: Gigalomaniac

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
I wonder how it will affect developers. I suspect that it will boost them a bit but it will be harder to start anything new since people won't pledge so easily on a project they're not sure of. I have no opinion on this one yet but It might be positive for players

edgedy

Aug 15, 2017
You can really sense the capitalist asshole behind Patreon and how the lawyers are now price gouging people for every penny. It's the same B.S. with Congress we're dealing with, religious right attitudes, microtransactions on everything.

But I do agree, anything you can do to take a burden off of the creators is a good thing.

Reactions: Gigalomaniac

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
While i agree it potentially makes things more stable for the creator, this change is definitely aimed at reducing the number of $1 sponsors by adding a 38% surcharge to their donations. And a similar effect on most of the lower end amounts.

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
Not very surprising. When company get big, or partnership, or bought with other parties, or new management in charge ... there always something like this happening. They start with 0.01% ... then they will raising each a bit, till 10%. While I don't know where this number coming from, 10% always be the monetary target to everything, like the book of soul-investor. The owner will try to get their 10% ... can be charge from customer or patreon or both side (5%-5%).

DSSAlex

Aug 19, 2017
I think it jibes pretty good with my theory that Patreon is trying to attract a new round of capital investors/go IPO or something. They're probably trying to juice the numbers to look more profitable than they actually are. They probably knew about Drip for a while and they're making defensive moves to make themselves look like the only player in the market.

This absolutely will hurt $1 donors but higher pledges probably won't see too much movement.

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
Currently I support 8 creators with 1$ and one with 5$. I'll drop all 1$ pledges, maybe will support one person 5$ instead. It is sad, because I supported many emerging creators, just to give them a chance.

EDIT: I plan maintaining 5$ for certain person and doing "Fucking Patreon Carousel" changing 5$ every month between rest of best NTR creators. New, promising creators... sorry guys.

EDIT2: Second thing is to drop support for rich creators. Since I can't pay them 1$ and other do it enough AND there are promising NTR creators with few patrons...

Last edited:

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
From
"$1: $1 + $0.38 (fees represent 27.5% of total amount)
$3: $3 + $0.44 (fees represent 12.8% of total amount)
$5: $5 + 0.50 (fees represent 10% of total amount)
$10: $10 + $0.64 (fees represent 6% of total amount)

If you look at the math, you can see that if you pledge $1, a significant percentage of that amount will be used to pay fees. The new fee structure penalises $1-patron heavily. That's sad.

Again, I don't know about you but when I want to pledge money to help a creator, I want to make sure that most of that money goes to the creator. The new fee structure does that, but it penalises patrons that pledge at lower tiers.

If you pledge at a really high tier, let's say $100, in the old system, the creator gets $90.20. In the new system, patrons pay $103.25, creators get $93.18. "

In short: Dont pledge 1$ donations.

h3avenw0rd

Jun 7, 2017
From
"$1: $1 + $0.38 (fees represent 27.5% of total amount)
$3: $3 + $0.44 (fees represent 12.8% of total amount)
$5: $5 + 0.50 (fees represent 10% of total amount)
$10: $10 + $0.64 (fees represent 6% of total amount)

If you look at the math, you can see that if you pledge $1, a significant percentage of that amount will be used to pay fees. The new fee structure penalises $1-patron heavily. That's sad.

Again, I don't know about you but when I want to pledge money to help a creator, I want to make sure that most of that money goes to the creator. The new fee structure does that, but it penalises patrons that pledge at lower tiers.

If you pledge at a really high tier, let's say $100, in the old system, the creator gets $90.20. In the new system, patrons pay $103.25, creators get $93.18. "

In short: Dont pledge 1$ donations.
In theory, sure, the creator would get more.
In reality, massive cancellation at lower tiers and no one moves up to higher tiers, creators get nothing, patreon gets nothing, everyone loses.

This only works if the handling fee is optional, allowing those who choose to add that extra fee on top, otherwise it'll inevitably revert to the old system after they see the stats.

anschwww

May 10, 2017
i have about 20 1$ Pledges and will cancel most of them....

why can't they add a "wallet" where i can add a fund to minimize fee?

Mipmip

Mostly harmless
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Patreon: We did this for the creators.
Creators: That is crap, we didn't want this.
Patreon: Oh right social media is still a thing. Err ehhhm we did this because fees are complicated.. I guess?
Everybody: cancels pledges.

Seriously. I sadly canceled all my pledges today. hopefully when the bigwigs see a large drop in pledges they'll figure out they fucked up and roll this back. And if not? Competing services will benefit.

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
Patreon: We did this for the creators.
Creators: That is crap, we didn't want this.
Patreon: Oh right social media is still a thing. Err ehhhm we did this because fees are complicated.. I guess?
Everybody: cancels pledges.

Seriously. I sadly canceled all my pledges today. hopefully when the bigwigs see a large drop in pledges they'll figure out they fucked up and roll this back. And if not? Competing services will benefit.
Well, Patreon is shit also because of other thing. I paid for December, cancel pledge on 08.12 and loose all benefits. They should last until 31.12 24:59. That is why I'll wait with cancellation.