Patreon and incest - need help

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Before releasing Book II of my game, I've been considering making an account on Patreon. I already have an account on subscribe star adult, but not everyone uses it and some people have requested I also open a Patreon. I am unsure if I could or should.

I have so far done two games. One is Looking Back and it is mostly vanilla. The other one is the Queen of Phalli, which has a LOT of incest that cannot be hidden behind any patch, it is central to the plot. As far as I know, incest is a big no no on Patreon, that is way I steered clear from it so far.

So what should I do? Is there any way for me to setup a Patreon without violating their code of conduct?

Thanks upfront.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Is there any way for me to setup a Patreon without violating their code of conduct?
Well, Patreon rules are clear, you can not use their service to fund a game containing one of their banned content. But at no time it is said that you can't make a game containing such content, as long as you don't fund it through your Patreon account.

Theoretically, this mean that you can have a Patreon account and a game with banned content, to the condition that:
  1. You never ever talk about that game on your Patreon page ;
  2. You never ever talk about that game with your Patreon patrons ;
    Including in private, and including just sending them a link to that game.
  3. You never ever show an image about that game on your Patreon page ;
  4. You never ever link to that game on your Patreon page ;
  5. You never ever link to your Patreon page in that game ;
  6. You never ever link to your Patreon page in any publication related to that game ;
    Including in your game thread here (so no link to your Patreon page in your signature), through any social media account you can have (so, no link to your Patreon page in your bio), and on your website if you have one.
  7. You never ever distribute that game by yourself through media that can be freely accessed by anyone.
    It MUST be impossible for your Patreon patrons to legally acquire a copy of that game. What imply that you renounce to the ownership of that game thread ; to mark the fact that it's a leak and not your desire to have the game available here. Ideally you should even stop to interact in it.

After, the fact is that people aren't dumb. You've more than one game, and through those other games, players of your game with banned content will know that you have a Patreon account and can want to support you there.
Technically speaking, it would be useless support, because they'll give you money, but never get access to the game in return. But there's no guaranties that Patreon will effectively see it that way if someone decide to report you.

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Well, Patreon rules are clear, you can not use their service to fund a game containing one of their banned content. But at no time it is said that you can't make a game containing such content, as long as you don't fund it through your Patreon account.

Theoretically, this mean that you can have a Patreon account and a game with banned content, to the condition that:
  1. You never ever talk about that game on your Patreon page ;
  2. You never ever talk about that game with your Patreon patrons ;
    Including in private, and including just sending them a link to that game.
  3. You never ever show an image about that game on your Patreon page ;
  4. You never ever link to that game on your Patreon page ;
  5. You never ever link to your Patreon page in that game ;
  6. You never ever link to your Patreon page in any publication related to that game ;
    Including in your game thread here (so no link to your Patreon page in your signature), through any social media account you can have (so, no link to your Patreon page in your bio), and on your website if you have one.
  7. You never ever distribute that game by yourself through media that can be freely accessed by anyone.
    It MUST be impossible for your Patreon patrons to legally acquire a copy of that game. What imply that you renounce to the ownership of that game thread ; to mark the fact that it's a leak and not your desire to have the game available here. Ideally you should even stop to interact in it.

After, the fact is that people aren't dumb. You've more than one game, and through those other games, players of your game with banned content will know that you have a Patreon account and can want to support you there.
Technically speaking, it would be useless support, because they'll give you money, but never get access to the game in return. But there's no guaranties that Patreon will effectively see it that way if someone decide to report you.
It is as I feared. Too much of a headache for me. I think I'll stick to subscribe star. Thank you so much for the prompt and informative reply :).