JoeAngel

Oct 16, 2020
I'm just gonna make this official for anyone that cares.

Yes, this project is abandoned, and the main reason for it is Daz. I'm not talented at 3D rendering, my set up is not optimal for 3D rendering, and (this is the biggest one) I don't enjoy 3D rendering. Because of this, the renders for OLaP are lacking in quality, which many players have correctly observed. These renders along with the lack of animations on top of my naive creative decision to include multiple *conflicting* fetishes make me believe that OLaP will not do well commercially.

And for a game requiring as much time and work as this at the expense of my personal enjoyment, I need a commercial incentive. Unfortunately, I don't think OLaP can compare to today's market of NSFW VNs/RPGs. Maybe its story can, but not the visuals. And let's face it, that makes or breaks you in this genre.

There's other things as well. I have very limited time today after graduating college and getting a full time career, along with a million other interests both more fun and more lucrative than OLaP. My experience with Daz actually inspired me to take up 2D digital drawing again, which I found way more fun and fulfilling. So who knows, maybe I'll do something with that.

But if I do, it'll be under a different alias anyway. I've burned a lot of bridges under this moniker, so if I'm going to make a new game with an entirely different art style, might as well just do a complete restart. I've also found some success outside the NSFW industry too, so who knows. Maybe this space just isn't for me.

If anyone has questions about how the story or characters would've gone, DM me on X and I'll be happy to tell you, spoilers and all. I'm not gonna be checking my F95.

Big thanks to any fans of the game and the fellow Devs who've offered me advice over the years. Sorry I couldn't follow through.
Good Luck Man I loved the story But your life Matters More the idea of the Hating Father Did Actually happen in history

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020

Yes, this project is abandoned, and the main reason for it is Daz.
Personally, I think Daz's days are more or less numbered anyway. Generative AI will make it far easier and faster to crank out CG for these games. Still, it's the writing that is always most important.

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
While I am not happy to hear that the game won't be worked on and released, I am REALLY GLAD to find that you've found your step and purpose, having graduated college and are finding work (and money) in a sector that interests you!

I can affirm that Daz is a huge steaming, pile of mess that... though it can produce some nice artwork, is a MEGA pain-in-the-ass to consistently crank out high quality renders without total frustration and meltdowns from the artist... and animation, fuck, now I know why everyone is using Blender to do their animations... BECAUSE DAZ'S ANIMATION TIMELINE SUCKS DICK!!

Oh... sorry, I digress.

Yeah, Daz would be my biggest reason for quitting right now if I did, so I totally get it. And, fuck, let's be honest... we could make more fucking money working at a McDonalds than the money many of us creators make producing games... so, if people think the job we take on is a simple and profitable one... guess again... (my first game did REALLY WELL financially, but when averaged out against the time I put into making it, I made roughly $0.39 cents an hour on it after expenditures)... creating a game is a labor of love, insanity and, only in rare cases, commercially successful enough to consider doing it full-time.

I wish you the very best, Griff and you know where to find me on X; keep in touch, my friend, and I wish you the very best for you! Thank you for the entertainment that you did provide, but most of all, thank you for the friendship! :giggle:

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Personally, I think Daz's days are more or less numbered anyway. Generative AI will make it far easier and faster to crank out CG for these games. Still, it's the writing that is always most important.
I think that will be true in a few years... but (and though I am not a big fan of it) it needs to become more commercially accepted than it is before that can happen. I don't think it is going to be as widely and quickly accepted like Digital Photography was, as many people like to try to equate it to.. but do think that, in time, it can certainly make our jobs a shitload easier.

Reactions: WuzzyFuzzy

FFTW

Jun 7, 2017

Yes, this project is abandoned, and the main reason for it is Daz. I'm not talented at 3D rendering, my set up is not optimal for 3D rendering, and (this is the biggest one) I don't enjoy 3D rendering. Because of this, the renders for OLaP are lacking in quality, which many players have correctly observed. These renders along with the lack of animations on top of my naive creative decision to include multiple *conflicting* fetishes make me believe that OLaP will not do well commercially.

And for a game requiring as much time and work as this at the expense of my personal enjoyment, I need a commercial incentive. Unfortunately, I don't think OLaP can compare to today's market of NSFW VNs/RPGs. Maybe its story can, but not the visuals. And let's face it, that makes or breaks you in this genre.

There's other things as well. I have very limited time today after graduating college and getting a full time career, along with a million other interests both more fun and more lucrative than OLaP. My experience with Daz actually inspired me to take up 2D digital drawing again, which I found way more fun and fulfilling. So who knows, maybe I'll do something with that.

But if I do, it'll be under a different alias anyway. I've burned a lot of bridges under this moniker, so if I'm going to make a new game with an entirely different art style, might as well just do a complete restart. I've also found some success outside the NSFW industry too, so who knows. Maybe this space just isn't for me.

If anyone has questions about how the story or characters would've gone, DM me on X and I'll be happy to tell you, spoilers and all. I'm not gonna be checking my F95.

Big thanks to any fans of the game and the fellow Devs who've offered me advice over the years. Sorry I couldn't follow through.
As a big fan who gave this a 5 star review back when it was first released, that is VERY disappointing to hear. This game was great. I found its story to be really intriguing and, as I mentioned in my review, reminiscent of Golden Era Bioware. Considering that Golden Era Bioware was my favorite gaming company, that is not something I say lightly. I honestly didn't even feel that the visuals were bad. They weren't the best, sure, but there are plenty of games with way worse visuals.
So yeah, I am really sad and disappointed. Still though, I definitely wish you all the best.

ding000

Dec 6, 2016

Rendering is never the end all be all problem of a game not doing well. Just look at a struggle with sin, the renders are nothing to write home about. But the gameplay is just good. The amount of things there are to explore in that game and the way the game lets you explore those when you want to is just great. The impact your choices have on outcomes it just feels immersive.

What you and 90% of the other devs do is (mis)use rpgm to let the player preform menial tasks to advance a story line that is pretty much set in stone with little to no player influence. If you set out to do that that's fine. But use something like renpy and make it vn.

Rpgm games need to have discovery, you have maps for a reason to discover and explore to stumble on a event or story thread. Nothing is as mind numbing as just following a story line with little to no interaction in rpgm.

And the real art of making an rpgm game is having these interactions but also making it feel intuitive. Or at least having a very comprehensive quest log.

bearclaw01234

Mar 13, 2018

I've noticed that many RPG games that fail are filled with excuses to justify being a QUITTER.

My personal opinion on Of Lust and Pride: The storyline was good (confusing at some points, but nothing game breaking), the missions & quests were good, & the graphics, while nice, aren't needing to be cutting edge or whatever to make it great. Even if ye cut back on the graphics, ye still have a game I'd very much enjoy playing (& have been waiting for an update to continue it, as it is was one of my favorites).

To give ye an example of a couple awesome low-graphic RPGs: Desecration of Wings (great storyline, great missions/quests, & great 2D graphics) & The Queen Opala Series (great everything, with great 2D graphics). Both are expansive with NO CUTTING EDGE 3D GRAPHICS that are favorites of mine which I've replayed countless times (& will continue to do so).

In RPG games, rendering is last in the quality expectations & most XXX RPG players don't care as much about 3D graphics as they do about the storyline & missions/quests (because while graphics are needed for a RPG game, they aren't high ranking (hence why most have 2D graphics). The storyline & missions/quests are what make up most of the game & what make it enjoyable.

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 16 Votes