BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
@Earliestbird You shouldn't use variables that match Python modules, such as time. They can't be pickled, eg. they can't be saved, so if a variable exists named the same as a Python module then it can prevent saving and throw an error (depends on version of Python if it'll run into that issue, can be present for some users but not others, mostly applicable to people that install Python and use system libraries). You can fix crashes occurring for Linux users as an example by using a different name other than time in _adventure events.rpy and _screens.rpy.

Last edited:

Eonor

Sep 9, 2017
Updated my Android port for Of Devotion and Despondence to v0.2.10.

Got some basic gestures loaded in: swipe up for save menu, swipe down to hide UI, swipe left to rollback and swipe right to skip. Save files are now stored in the Documents folder. This sometimes means that you may need to close and re-open the port after installing so the save folder is properly created.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues with the port and I'll see what I can do to get them sorted.

Links: -

69ztare

Nov 7, 2018
Found a bug:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Happens when I try to save.
Happened on more than one save.
It looks like it's after doing something in Rozan.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Found a bug:
Happens when I try to save.
Happened on more than one save.
It looks like it's after doing something in Rozan.
It's after any time you try to do something that is 'Searching...'. I already mentioned this bug and why it happens earlier in this thread. For Python/Ren'Py games developers should not use variable names that are the same as module names (such as time). You can temporarily work around it by renaming the variable until the developer addresses it. (Several locations, see thread for post, forgot where.) Edit: It's two posts above yours... ... ...

69ztare

Nov 7, 2018
It's after any time you try to do something that is 'Searching...'. I already mentioned this bug and why it happens earlier in this thread. For Python/Ren'Py games developers should not use variable names that are the same as module names (such as time). You can temporarily work around it by renaming the variable until the developer addresses it. (Several locations, see thread for post, forgot where.) Edit: It's two posts above yours... ... ...
I just remembered something and I decided to try it. Basically, I usually use UnRen. I extracted the file to a new folder, I repeated what I did (without UnRen), and I was able to save after Rozan, at least for now.
It looks like UnRen was clashing with the game before the game crashed alone, for reasons I don't know since I'm not a dev.

So, I'd like to ask the dev to include a "log" or something like that to read previous texts. Sometimes the player may misclick, or even prefer to get all the text at once instead of little parts of it (and misclick again), and reloading a whole save just to read what was missed is troublesome, since the game doesn't have the classical "rollback". Such thing would not make the game easier or harder, since it's only a "read the text" in a game without a "act in real time".
Even on combats, UnRen Rollback only takes you back to before the combat (no rollbacks inside the combat). And on choices, the player already can save on the choice and reload it in case they didn't like the outcome (not always a fail, but sometimes a "upgrade x stat instead of y"). But that's going beyond what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is a simple log.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I just remembered something and I decided to try it. Basically, I usually use UnRen. I extracted the file to a new folder, I repeated what I did (without UnRen), and I was able to save after Rozan, at least for now.
It looks like UnRen was clashing with the game before the game crashed alone, for reasons I don't know since I'm not a dev.

So, I'd like to ask the dev to include a "log" or something like that to read previous texts. Sometimes the player may misclick, or even prefer to get all the text at once instead of little parts of it (and misclick again), and reloading a whole save just to read what was missed is troublesome, since the game doesn't have the classical "rollback". Such thing would not make the game easier or harder, since it's only a "read the text" in a game without a "act in real time".
Even on combats, UnRen Rollback only takes you back to before the combat (no rollbacks inside the combat). And on choices, the player already can save on the choice and reload it in case they didn't like the outcome (not always a fail, but sometimes a "upgrade x stat instead of y"). But that's going beyond what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is a simple log.
A lot of developers are asses that disable console or they force transition/pauses/fade-texts even with transitions turned off and text speed max, quite hostile to users with accessibility issues or people that simply prefer a specific means of play. Just enable dev console, that allows scroll-rollback, but some developers are assholes and try to clear scrollback, so you'd need to write your own rpy that redefines the function to yours so that when clear is called it does nothing. A lot of my scripts have specific functionality in them for myself, I'd share otherwise. Do a search through all files for anything relating to clearing the scrollback and remove it. If the developer removed the actual rpy/python related to a function you need you can just determine the version of Ren'Py they used and copy over that functionality from a legit copy of Ren'Py. I don't use UnRen, it's a Windows batch script that is more like 'last line of hope for non-skiddie/non-programmer' Windows users. There was no need to use UnRen on this game anyway, it's all right there... As long as the time var is deleted before you attempt to save then it's fine, otherwise the backend in Ren'Py tries to pickle (aka Serialize) it for storage, but a python module (the only scope it has of seeing 'time') can't be serialized unless it provides a means to do so. 'time' does not. As for logs, most developers prefer to hide away information. Does nothing to stop people from finding out though.

bitsybobs3

Ultimate Torrent Dude
Donor
Jun 13, 2021
OfDevotionAndDespondence-0.2.11
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.​

Raggedydan13

Aug 8, 2017
So I just started this game very good so far except I can't for the life of me figure out fusing items. No matter what I click on it just unequips the item. Someone tell me what I'm missing please. And to the Dev i like this slow build up makes the story more signifigent thank you. I can relate to MC in this game at least with my "bad days".

Gari Fuze

Feb 19, 2020
Would like to see at least 10x more content and interactions/actions with residents. For now there is little in this game, the overall gameplay feels alright.

noobling

May 20, 2018
is there much to do in the game atm? I haven't played for long but general impression is everything costs crazy amount of essense which I'm not sure I can even keep up with the basic upkeep after a few months, also from the 2nd skirmish onwards I can't win any fights or 1 if lucky

what's the general strategy?

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
is there much to do in the game atm? I haven't played for long but general impression is everything costs crazy amount of essense which I'm not sure I can even keep up with the basic upkeep after a few months, also from the 2nd skirmish onwards I can't win any fights or 1 if lucky

what's the general strategy?
I have the other problem-way too much essense.

GrassButGreen

Sep 2, 2018
What is the music with vocals that plays during combat?

EDIT: found it in the games music files its called "Rick Beck - Celtic Soundtrack", i was searching for Alexander Nakarda's (the only musician credited).

Last edited:

GrassButGreen

Sep 2, 2018
teach me your ways
Have raven scavenge for hemp and essence, also make sure to get the buildings that increase skills as they give bonuses to gathering "per10 skill get 1 extra res", also in the residents tab, use active talents such as "focus" for increasing skill but lowering max and "train" to increase max they cost resources to do so they are more of a mid game thing. For me as a smith i could salvage unneeded things to get by only running out once, but eventually raven has 100+ impish so she gains 20ish essence a turn while im being drained 9 refunded 6 by the nets. The active "focus" skill (unlock it by building house) is key to winning skirmishes ive only lost in a stat 3 times over many skirmishes on extreme mode.

Last edited:

GrassButGreen

Sep 2, 2018
So I just started this game very good so far except I can't for the life of me figure out fusing items. No matter what I click on it just unequips the item. Someone tell me what I'm missing please. And to the Dev i like this slow build up makes the story more signifigent thank you. I can relate to MC in this game at least with my "bad days".
To my understanding fusing is just a "punishment" for exchanging equipment for example if you find a skill check that needs more than you have you can go back and put on a item that increases that skill instead of one that provides armor, but as punishment for a few days you can't un-equip it so you might not have a good combat stats until the fusing ends. in game it says e.g"4" fusing can't be removed until 4 days have past.

Forinil

Apr 5, 2020
I started getting the following error when attempting to enter the temple after the 4th event:

Rich (BB code):
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/_adventure events.rpy", line 2318, in script
    if game.s5_event5_temple == 0:
  File "game/_adventure events.rpy", line 2440, in <module>
    elif game.s5_event5_temple == 4 and game.s5_event5_temple_daycount >= 50 and s5_event5_temple_classintro == False:
NameError: name 's5_event5_temple_classintro' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/_adventure events.rpy", line 2318, in script
    if game.s5_event5_temple == 0:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1898, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2276, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2269, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/_adventure events.rpy", line 2440, in <module>
    elif game.s5_event5_temple == 4 and game.s5_event5_temple_daycount >= 50 and s5_event5_temple_classintro == False:
NameError: name 's5_event5_temple_classintro' is not defined

Windows-10-10.0.22621
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Of Devotion and Despondence 0.2.11
Sun Jan 14 17:59:11 2024

4.10 star(s) 35 Votes