VN Ren'Py Not Going Back [Ch.1] [Cicada]

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Hello, a brief update from me, more or less copying my dev log from itch to here, with a few little changes.

Long story short, I'd been waiting to give a dev update until I finally finished the big scene I've been working on, but we're still possibly a couple weeks away from that and I wanted to give some sort of update in January, so here we are.

As I mentioned, I am nearing the end of this exceptionally long scene at last. I'm now just two sections away from completing it, with each section containing roughly 30-40 renders or so each. This is an approximation, but if I assume another 80 renders will be needed to complete the scene, that'll take the overall scene's render total to ~450. For context, Chapter 1, in total, contained ~1400 renders. So, just this one scene in Chapter 2 is equivalent to one-third of the render total of Chapter 1. As I've mentioned before, this is by far the longest scene in the game so far, but even projecting forward there won't be many scenes as long as this. It's taken a great deal of work, and I'm both happy that I'm close to finishing it, as well as happy with the way it's turned out.

The work for the rest of Chapter 2 will speed up after this (I'm assuming - I can't imagine a future scene taking this long to load and render). The Chapter is about half finished, in terms of render count (my best guess at the moment is that the final count will be over 2500), but a lot of future scenes will take genuinely a quarter of the time to work through as the long scene did. So, progress will be quicker and I'll feel more comfortable giving more frequent dev logs because it will actually feel like I have progress to report on.

I've nothing new to preview with this post, so I'll leave things with a sincere thanks to the people who read this and have played and enjoyed the first chapter. If you had told me after releasing Chapter 1 that I'd only be halfway through Chapter 2 by the new year I'd have been disappointed in myself. So for those of you reading this who played Chapter 1 and are looking forward to Chapter 2 I want to thank you sincerely for your patience. I think that, especially with new projects like this game, frequent updates seem to be the best way of generating interest, and I fear sometimes that the long wait for Chapter 2 will lead to people forgetting about the game and thus not caring about the eventual release. So, again, I do want to thank everyone who still holds the project in an optimistic light and are looking forward to Chapter 2 and beyond. I'm looking forward to finishing and releasing the chapter, and am hopeful that it will be worth that wait for those of you who have been patient.

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Hello! A little update again from me. My pain is finally over. The big scene is effectively finished. I have 14 more renders to do for it, but they are all posed. The downside? 13 of them will take ~3 hours to render. But the manual work is now done, at least.

What does this mean? Firstly, that I'll be able to give better updates moving forward. There is one scene, at the end of the chapter, which is broken down into sections as the one I just finished was, but won't be nearly as long or arduous to work through, and every other scene is comparably small, meaning that my updates will actually be able to report on progress. I'll be as transparent as possible each time. There's 31 scenes, of varying length, left to render in Chapter 2, and when I do these progress reports I'll now be able to start ticking these off essentially.

Looking forward (and I know it's optimistic to do this with chapter 2 not even out yet), I have been planning out future chapters. Chapter 3 is pretty much fully story-boarded, for lack of a better term, and some of it is written. Chapters 4 and 5 are not as concretely story-boarded, but I do know exactly when they start and finish, and most of what comes in between - it's just the order of events etc. that needs to be ironed out. Also, intriguingly enough, Chapter 6 is completely written. Yeah, I know. Weird, right? Assuming I stick to my guns, Chapter 6 is the biggest risk of a Chapter in the game, in terms of the reaction it may generate. But I'm okay with that. And we're still far away from that anyway, but I thought it would be interesting to say considering I finished it this past week.

The other fun thing that comes from moving onto different scenes is that I'll once again be previewing things from next dev log, which will probably be a couple of weeks from now assuming all goes well. I'm excited to see what progress I'll be able to make in that time towards completing the chapter.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Dark Silence

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 17, 2021
Still waitin. :ROFLMAO:

In other news: First your game cicadaNGB 'Not Going Back' and a new kid on the block 'Going Back'. Wonder which will see an update first. :ROFLMAO:

TheSkeptic1

Apr 10, 2020
This needs a UI mod baaaaaad. I cannot stand the dialog box and no way to adjust the transparency.

Dev also needs to implement a "journal" feature so we can keep track of the million girls that get introduced in very quick succession. When they start asking which girl you're thinking about, I can only put a face to about 2-3 names mentally.

Going to put this one on the shelf until these issues are fixed. And because I'm a selfish cheater: want a WT mod so I know where points are going.

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
This needs a UI mod baaaaaad. I cannot stand the dialog box and no way to adjust the transparency.

Dev also needs to implement a "journal" feature so we can keep track of the million girls that get introduced in very quick succession. When they start asking which girl you're thinking about, I can only put a face to about 2-3 names mentally.

Going to put this one on the shelf until these issues are fixed. And because I'm a selfish cheater: want a WT mod so I know where points are going.
Chapter 2 will include a transparency slider on the dialogue box. Ngl I thought that was already a thing in Chapter 1, but I clearly didn't implement it back then. Not sure why, because it's definitely been in the ch2 build for ages.

As for character bios, that's something at least a few people have mentioned before. I've acknowledged that it would probably be useful, but haven't yet put the effort into designing or coding anything for it for the game itself, as it can get a bit complicated. An alternative suggestion someone said was to have them as just separate downloadable images (they gave the example of what WVM does) which is also a possibility. Ultimately, however, it's not a priority atm, certainly not until I've actually got a second chapter released.

Reactions: TheSkeptic1

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Cross posting the dev log from itch again for those interested:

Hello!

Took a little longer to get around to this than I thought, but I decided that I wanted to reach a certain point in things before I gave another update, essentially pushing the report back a little. In my last dev log, I mentioned that there were 31 scenes left to render for Chapter 2. As of right now, 12 (and a half) of those scenes have been rendered, leaving 19 still to be posed and rendered. I'm intending for the next dev log to come after I've completed 22/31 scenes (or, 10 of the remaining 19). I don't yet have a timeframe for how long that will take, mostly because a couple of the scenes involve environments I've not rendered in yet, so I don't know exactly how long that part might take.

While I've been waiting on renders I've done a lot more planning for the future, as well as writing. I've been on a strong writing kick lately, in fact, and it's been interesting writing (at least preliminary versions of) important parts of the story in later chapters. As I've mentioned, everything's been planned out long in advance for this game. But some of they key moments were previously just ideas - these ideas have now taken a more concrete form.

Now that the end is in sight for Chapter 2, I'm eager to press on. We're still only getting started, only in the introduction, only in the teasing, hinting stage. While the opening to the game is very necessary, it's not what I'm excited for. I'm excited for the first real kick in the mouth.

If you read this, I hope you're as excited for this journey as I am. I feel like I hype the future up a lot for someone with one chapter released ages ago that, while well received, wasn't exactly groundbreaking. I'm working hard to ensure that, when the time comes, I'll feel proud of what I've made and that it will have been worth the wait.

Previews attached below

edit: missed a bit on the original dev log that I wanted to include. Nothing major but just realised I missed out saying it. Chapter 2 is now officially bigger than Chapter 1. As in, I've now made more renders for Chapter 2 than were in chapter 1, as well as more choices, more branching, all that fun stuff. And I've still got 19 scenes to go.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Another dev log for you all x

Hello!

22/31 done. Render count now clean over 2000. I've previously estimated that the chapter would end up containing around 2500 renders, but I now think it may even push 3000 when all's said and done. I've got three scenes still to do that'll take about 100 each themselves.

But the most important part is that the end of Chapter 2 is well and truly in sight for me now. I'm very excited. There will be one more dev log before the release when I've finished rendering these last 9 scenes. Then after that I'll have to test it, although the game is playable in it's current state, it's just the images that are missing. But I'll have to test it for continuity etc., add in/fix any major issues with the visual side of things, and make sure the general flow of the chapter works. I can't imagine that side of things taking too long, but I'll better be able to guess in the next dev log how long that will all take. There's quite a lot of branching in chapter 2, both significant and less so, and I obviously want to make sure as many possible paths have been tested and checked as I can, but as I say I don't see that side of things delaying the release dramatically unless I realise I somehow have to re-render whole sections of the game, but I can't see how that would happen.

Not too much else to add for this dev log. I've continued to plan and write some of the future chapters, but obviously I can't really talk too much about that kinda stuff. But it's made making Chapter 2 really quite fun. I enjoyed making chapter 1, but it was very introductory, whereas chapter 2, while still establishing the world and the characters, contains a lot more story stuff, and it's been fun to weave little hints and foreshadowing moments into it.

If there's one thing I can say about this project, without spoiling any actual content in the story or game, it's that I enjoy the subversion of expectation. I've tried my best in these first two chapters to create a world with characters that feel real, at least to a certain extent. And, like real people, no-one's just a caricature of a stereotype. People are good and bad, honest and deceptive, authentic and hypocritical, whatever, nobody is one-dimensional, nobody is perfect. I've not personally read loads of other visual novels, but the ones that I enjoy the most have the common theme of complex characters, and characters with their own motivations. Games that are more than about one story, one character.

Anyway, attached below are some previews of what I was working on since the last dev log.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
I remember liking the game during release. I don't remember anymore what it's about and what happened. Whenever the update goes up, I guess I'll have to replay the whole thing from the beginning.

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
I remember liking the game during release. I don't remember anymore what it's about and what happened. Whenever the update goes up, I guess I'll have to replay the whole thing from the beginning.
I hope that you'll still like it when you replay. The update's getting closer each day, I'm still working away at it as best I can. I don't expect really anyone to remember much about the game when Ch2 gets released, which is my fault, of course, but I'm hoping that those who enjoyed Ch1 will still play it through, whether from the beginning again or otherwise. I'm also optimistic that future chapters will come at a more reasonable pace. I feel like every dev says that, though, so we'll see. Thanks for your patience.

FatGiant

Engaged Member
Jan 7, 2022
Wow, this hasn't been abandoned yet? I actually forgot this existed. And now, knowing it still has no Harem route, it's Meh... Waste of time making 8 different girls if you can only have one. 3 would be enough for a choice, all the rest is just waste.

For the Dev, if you can make 8 different routes, you can make 9 and make it Harem. Not doing it is leaving money on the table. You are pissing off people, with no actual reason for it.

Back to ignore with this.

Peace :(

Reactions: Teddy 369

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
I hope that you'll still like it when you replay. The update's getting closer each day, I'm still working away at it as best I can. I don't expect really anyone to remember much about the game when Ch2 gets released, which is my fault, of course, but I'm hoping that those who enjoyed Ch1 will still play it through, whether from the beginning again or otherwise. I'm also optimistic that future chapters will come at a more reasonable pace. I feel like every dev says that, though, so we'll see. Thanks for your patience.
I'm pretty sure I'll still like it when I replay. It's definitely better if you can update future chapters at a more reasonable pace, but in the end, you do what you can. It's all good. Hopefully everything will go smooth. :D

Reactions: cicadaNGB

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
will the game be harem or single girl focussed?
Individual. There will be opportunities to pursue multiple girls at the same time (and there are also side characters that will have scenes) but at some point you will be given the option to commit to a single girl to continue that path/story. You can do this or not. There will be an option for an 'alone' ending. There is no full harem or multiple girl endings.

Reactions: adagium

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Wow, this hasn't been abandoned yet? I actually forgot this existed. And now, knowing it still has no Harem route, it's Meh... Waste of time making 8 different girls if you can only have one. 3 would be enough for a choice, all the rest is just waste.

For the Dev, if you can make 8 different routes, you can make 9 and make it Harem. Not doing it is leaving money on the table. You are pissing off people, with no actual reason for it.

Back to ignore with this.

Peace :(
Not abandoned, and never will be!

Why have 8 girls? Because I wanted to tell 8 stories. Interestingly enough, the first draft had 6. But I elevated two other girls because I felt as though their stories and characters warranted further detail. I know some people are one-and-done with these games, but other like replaying them. Personally, I'm in the latter group. Thus, when making my own game, I figured replay value would be something worth having. For example, in chapter 2 there's gonna be two mutually exclusive scenes (non-sex). You can't get both in one playthrough. Why restrict content from the player? Because there's value in withholding information. There's value in having choice with impact. And, for me, there's value in offering the opportunity to replay a game.

As for the harem situation: I just don't want to. It doesn't make sense for the story. I'm aware what site I'm on, but this game is story first. Always has been, always will be, and I'm not compromising the story for the sake of catering to the masses. I'm more than happy leaving money on the table. If I was doing this for money, I would have a Patreon by now. If I was doing this for money, I wouldn't be putting as much effort into the game as I am. If I was doing this for money, I would have released another Chapter ages ago, with only a few hundred renders, and put it behind a paywall. Fuck that. I'm doing this shit my way. I'm not intending on pissing people off by not having a harem route, but the notion that there's no actual reason for it is absurd.
If it alienates a section of potential fans of the game, so be it. I've already alienated enough people by daring to write non-MC male characters in my game who have some semblance of personality. I'm not here to cater to people. I'm here to make a game, tell a story that I believe in. I don't care if a bunch of people don't play it, because ones who do are gonna have a great fucking time. nt l ch pt r s x.

I hope this doesn't come across as a personal attack in any way. Reading it back it feels like I'm angrier than I actually am. It's actually just a combination of frustration and passion. I'm frustrated because Chapter 2 has taken me fucking ages to do because I'm trying to do it right. That's the passion. Your opinion is obviously perfectly valid, and probably a much more common stance than the one I hold. But I'm making this game for me, to the best of my admittedly limited abililty. And I'm not gonna compromise for any reason. When this game is done, however long it takes, I want to look back at it knowing I did it exactly how I wanted to. And whoever wants to come along for the ride is more than welcome, and I hope that they enjoy the journey.

Dark Silence

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 17, 2021
As for the harem situation: I just don't want to. It doesn't make sense for the story. I'm aware what site I'm on, but this game is story first. Always has been, always will be, and I'm not compromising the story for the sake of catering to the masses. I'm more than happy leaving money on the table. If I was doing this for money, I would have a Patreon by now. If I was doing this for money, I wouldn't be putting as much effort into the game as I am. If I was doing this for money, I would have released another Chapter ages ago, with only a few hundred renders, and put it behind a paywall. Fuck that. I'm doing this shit my way. I'm not intending on pissing people off by not having a harem route, but the notion that there's no actual reason for it is absurd.
If it alienates a section of potential fans of the game, so be it. I've already alienated enough people by daring to write non-MC male characters in my game who have some semblance of personality. I'm not here to cater to people. I'm here to make a game, tell a story that I believe in. I don't care if a bunch of people don't play it, because ones who do are gonna have a great fucking time. nt l ch pt r s x.
This makes me happy to hear. Not that I'm knockin the harem crowd or the devs who make the games(As I do play a couple), I'm just happy for another full-on romance game. As long as we can choose the girl we want, I'm a happy camper.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
I know some people are one-and-done with these games, but other like replaying them. Personally, I'm in the latter group. Thus, when making my own game, I figured replay value would be something worth having. For example, in chapter 2 there's gonna be two mutually exclusive scenes (non-sex). You can't get both in one playthrough. Why restrict content from the player? Because there's value in withholding information. There's value in having choice with impact. And, for me, there's value in offering the opportunity to replay a game.
This is just a comment and not an attempt to sway you one way or the other, but my question is whether there is enough clarity about the branching in the game or not. My frustration about multiple branching in general is when it's done without clarity which led to players either having to blindly do trial-n-error which is very time consuming, or having to rely on mod/walkthrough which IMO kind of defeats the purpose of having choice-n-consequence in the game.

If the game is well done, I'm more than happy to replay or have multiple saves.

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes