• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

NOPY throttled to < 400 kbps, fails mid-download? Widespread issue?

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
NOPY used to be the best download source around here, in my experience. However, over the last few months I am getting initial speeds of around 300 mpbs if I am lucky, and it almost always fails mid-download. Is this a widespread problem with NOPY? Is everyone seeing this also, or are some of you getting decent speed with NOPY these days?

Mega still seems fine, but download caps are an issue.

nopy

nopy.to
Respected User
Jan 4, 2019
We don't throttle speeds in anyway, all of our servers have 1Gbps ports, and serve as high of a speed as possible. However, we've seen an explosive amount of growth over the past months, and speeds can be impacted at peak times due to the sheer number of people using the service.

It is a real challenge operating a completely free file hosting service with no ads or premium accounts, but we're working hard to increase capacity. Thanks to recently reaching our goal on Patreon, we're going to be expanding with a new cluster in North America (all of our other servers are in Europe), and adding approx another ~10-15Gbps of capacity dedicated for North American traffic, which will not only increase speeds for NA users, but move traffic from EU making it faster for everyone.

This cluster is complicating our setup and infrastructure considerably, and requires extensive planning and testing, but we hope to have it going live either later this month or sometime next month.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
NoPy's totally my favorite host; if it's a service you enjoy, it's worth considering throwing a couple of bucks at them:

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
It is a real challenge operating a completely free file hosting service with no ads or premium accounts, but we're working hard to increase capacity.
Thanks a lot for the response. I really appreciate it. I am from North America, so I thought that there might be some throttling going on just because it was such a dramatic decrease in performance over a short time. New servers should really help. NOPY is great. I'll definitely take Droid Productions 's advice and give a little support to your Patreon to help keep the service going.