VN Ren'Py No Mercy v0.05

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Hi.

I've been learning daz3d and renpy for 2 days. I'm a fan of Tyrant-style games and I'm going to create something similar, because there aren't many games with such fetishes. For now, I'm learning and getting to know all the options, please take a look at what I was able to do in two days (please do not judge the quality of the renderings and the story - so far I was doing them quickly and normally one full render in higher resolution takes me 3-4 hours. That's why some of them are really low-quality.

(I am aware of the problem with the black lines on the head and am currently working on a fix for it - They are not on the forehead)

Engrish included xD

Expect in the future:
Blackmail, cheating, sharing, male domination, milf, incest, whoring, threesome...
...and a lot of rough sex with animations.

Changelog:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Links:

Last edited:

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
Firstly, good luck with the game. Secondly, I'm not sure what you're looking for here? Feedback? Critique? Support? I did download and try it, but not knowing what you're looking for makes it hard to comment on.

What is your expectation for the game?
What standard of quality do you want the game to be on? Something realistic for your hardware and skill? Or you aspire to be good as practical?

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Firstly, good luck with the game. Secondly, I'm not sure what you're looking for here? Feedback? Critique? Support? I did download and try it, but not knowing what you're looking for makes it hard to comment on.

What is your expectation for the game?
What standard of quality do you want the game to be on? Something realistic for your hardware and skill? Or you aspire to be good as practical?
Any feedback you give me will be great :) I've been doing this for 3 days, so I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong at the beginning.

I am not aiming for the same level as Being a Dik, more like a refreshed version of the Tyrant. But I have two ideas that I haven't seen in other games (it's about gameplay). I will not reveal the first one for now, but the second is stat Strength, which determines the number of renderings during sex scenes and the partner's satisfaction.

I don't know anything about lighting yet, but I know it matters a lot.

Rendering itself won't be a problem.

Last edited:

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
There are a couple of things I think I can comment and I think it's important for these kinds of games.

I know you only started 2 days ago, so of course, this is short. But it is a very common mistake in storytelling that the writer is too impatient and just speeds towards the "good stuff". Despite how short this is, the pacing is still too fast. Add a couple of lines in between would have made it a lot better.

The mother's feeling is not well conveyed. It's all over the place. She didn't put up resistance at all, and it is only after a kiss (which she also didn't resist) does she mention their relationship as a defence.

There's no breaking down of the mother at all. Because she just gives in right in the beginning, there's no tension left.

In terms of the renders, it's pretty standard rookie mistakes stuff. The best advice I can give to those who just started and have no experience in these kinds of things is to study photography or cinematography. If you want your renders to be better and to stand out more, lighting is a big part of it. For a quick start, google 3-point lighting. Although be careful with it, using the system won't magically make it better, you need to know how to apply it too.

Using your demo as an example for application. The lighting is too flat. Is this not supposed to be a high tension scene? Make the light more dramatic. Turn down the interior lights, and turn up the environment light. This is after school right? If it is, then it is perfect for dramatic lighting. Make it late afternoon, almost sundown, so there's an orange hue to the light, it's darker because no one is in class, you can also turn much of the ceiling lights off.

deff7c88ec6b236b76858b3ce766ce47.jpg

You'll get an effect like this. The next step is the tone. If it is like the picture I shown here, then the tone is wrong for a blackmailing scene. Orange is generally associated with warmth and comfort, that's the opposite of what we want. But it is close to sunset, so orange is always there right? We can't change the colour of the sun. That's where we can get clever and do something like this.

92776305f0a0844f66c97cf75cef5409.jpg

See the shadows in the foreground? If we put the subjects in the shadows and outside the orange sunlight, that gives off a different message. Now the subjects are away or hidden from the warmth and comfort of the sunlight, and you get the tone you want for the scene.

The only thing left is to make sure there's enough light to expose the subject so we can see them clear enough. Have a white or very slightly blue light focus on the subjects, which will create dramatic shadows on their faces. The last light we'll need is a fill light to light up the shadows a little bit so it is not too much.

Here's a quick one I did in DAZ to show what I mean in practice. Ignore the colour banding, that's a different topic on how to fix it. The more time you spend tuning the balance of the lights, the better it will look.

Classroom light example.png

Hope you find this useful. Again, good luck with the game.

Reactions: Reifon

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Gallant Trombe

Thanks, lots of useful information.

For now, I do not pay much attention to history. I want to learn the basics, in the final version the whole beginning will be rebuilt appropriately.

Last edited:

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Damn, I REALLY like what I did. But you still have to be patient because I decided that I am releasing version 0.08 instead of 0.03 ;-)

....unless I first go bankrupt because of this paid rendering. One animation is about 20 bucks :D

... and I need someone to help me with engrish because I don't really want to ask my friends ... you probably understand why :p

The darker image is the menu image.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
... and I need someone to help me with engrish because I don't really want to ask my friends ... you probably understand why
I do editing/proofreading for a few different developers here on f95 (GrayTShirt, Basilicata and some others who haven't released yet). I'm currently waiting for the next pre-releases from the developers to drop, so I'm available to take on a new project. I don't ask for anything for my work except acknowledgement in the game.

If you are interested, send me a PM.

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Hi, I'm uploading an unfinished version with a history cut. I would like to know your opinion, the link will only be there for a moment and I will remove it later, I prefer that a wider audience will get a relatively finished product :)

Gallant Trombe Reifon osanaiko

The test version 0.05 is now available for download.

I think I learned quite a lot in 10 days :) Making much longer, smoother animations wouldn't be a problem either, at the moment I'm only limited by rendering fees.

Last edited:

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
This is much better, well done.

The lighting is definitely better suited for the tone of the scene. The next things I would suggest working on are depth of field, colour palette.

DoF makes your render pop and at a minimum adds a nice bit of flair, but you can also do a lot with it. For DAZ, DoF is great for hiding low-quality background assets. We don't need to see what books are on the shelf, and if the poster isn't relevant to the setting or story, you can hide it with DoF too.

I also suggest colour palettes because the scene is a bit too monotone without any good reasons. This is a really minor problem, most people won't notice or care, but it subtly makes your render stand out from the rest. It's up to you if you want to bother with it, it can be time-consuming and most games here don't bother. But for example, the majority of the scene is orange because of the sunlight, however, because the floor, the bookshelf, her skin tone, and her hair are all either also orange or blend into it too well. The only things that aren't are the chairs and books. That's is why I said it's monotone without any reason. The chairs and books shouldn't be the things standing out in the scene, it should be the subject. One way to fix that in DAZ is to lower the saturation of sunlight and have a more saturated light point at the subject, finally adjust the saturation in Tone Mapping for the right balance. But seriously, this is really minor, I'm just throwing it out there.

I did a quick edit of one of your render to show what I mean, I hope you don't mind.

Reactions: Reifon and osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
zeratulek I have done a full edit of the renpy script for v0.05 and posted it in the private conversation thread.

Perhaps you can use it and make a new release...

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Thank you for your help and feedback! I am still working, although I had a hardware problem now (the motherboard and all the RAM memory are gone) but I do not give up.
I already have half the story written. Currently creating the appearance of the next characters.

• Love

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Guys, I have a problem with the video format for animation. MKV is a big loss of quality for me, I use davinci resolve, any ideas which format is supported by the renpy in this program?

I tried everything, I suspect I have to do it in Davinci and then convert it to some other one, but when I tried it didn't work anyway ...

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The Renpy supported formats are listed here:

I have not tried converting videos for use in renpy before, so I can't give direct advice as to what program you should try.

However, from decompiling games, I see a lot of WEBM as container with VP8 encoding inside. In older games, mp4 (divx) inside avi container was common.

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
I found one setting that works :)

Now I started coding in Renpy and I have some questions.

1. How to perform simple operations on variables such as, for example, division?
I have:
default school = 0.0
default day = 1
and I need [school/day]

border.png

Where can I style this modal?

And how can I use IF in this modal? (IF day = 1: text "monday" etc.)

modal True
frame:
has vbox
text "{b}Day{/b}: [day] "
text " --- "

How can I change the size of the menu?
menu.png

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Now I started coding in Renpy and I have some questions.

1. How to perform simple operations on variables such as, for example, division?
I have:
default school = 0.0
default day = 1
and I need [school/day]

Where can I style this modal?

And how can I use IF in this modal? (IF day = 1: text "monday" etc.)

modal True
frame:
has vbox
text "{b}Day{/b}: [day] "
text " --- "

How can I change the size of the menu?
You're basically asking "how to ren'py".
That's just something you need to now spend the time learning because we can't help you do it all from nothing via question and answers.
I learned about renpy by reading the docs, searching forum posts, watching tutorial videos, finding other games that are not encrypted and looking at their source code.
It takes time, you have to invest the effort by yourself.

Quick answers to your specific questions:

1. in ren'py you can do operations on variables using Python code:

Code:
# these variable you define outside the "labels" of your game
default school = 0.0
default day = 1

# when you need to calculate, i.e. on a "screen" that is displayed
# you can use "python" statements with "$" and set the calculated value into a new variable, 
# and in your screen you interpolate the new variable

$ school_per_day = school / day

2. Styling of "screens" is done with "screen language".

It's a bit like html and css.

Read about it here:

The question about showing a different name depending on the day variable value is very common, search the forums.

3. The layout of the built in menus are also done with the same "screen language" i mentioned above.

Look in "screens.rpy" for the main menu.

zeratulek

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
# when you need to calculate, i.e. on a "screen" that is displayed
# you can use "python" statements with "$" and set the calculated value into a new variable,
# and in your screen you interpolate the new variable

$ school_per_day = school / day
This answered all my questions because I used "default" everywhere before.

Reactions: Reifon and osanaiko
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote