• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

"No combat" tag?

Apr 14, 2019
I tend to prefer games without combat in them. I like RPGMaker games over Visual Novels and the like...so please don't tell me to just look up VNs.
Is this tag a thing and I'm just blind or is there a different term for it?

Thanks

Edit: Changed title to better explain.

Last edited:

MoriAPC

Game Developer
Jan 28, 2020
I think what's difficult is that some games have a lot of really bad combat, and some games only have a small amount of "combat" which is done in a unique or interesting way. It's hard to tell the difference with just a simple tag.

With all that being said I think a 'no combat' tag could be cool to help filter out grinding games when I'm not in the mood for that type of gameplay. Neat idea!

Apr 14, 2019
There is already a tag for no combat, it's called Visual Novel.
Games are meant to be challenging.
Again as said before I don't like visual novels as much.
President Yukino is RPG style and doesn't have combat. Things like that. Because I don't like repetative combat in games doesn't mean anything. It's a playstyle.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Again as said before I don't like visual novels as much.
President Yukino is RPG style and doesn't have combat. Things like that. Because I don't like repetative combat in games doesn't mean anything. It's a playstyle.
I posted the vid above, with links to info on how you can patch your RPGM games to not show most of the combat.
There are other "cheats" you can use, if combat is too difficult for you. They will allow you to level up your character without requiring skill to do so. You can use a game save editor, to give your character "gold" or increase their "strength" without actually earning it, or physically working out. Cheat engine, is another option.

Apr 14, 2019
Has nothing to do with hard. It's just annoying to me and I prefer games that focus on a story rather than combat but still are rpg styled.
Workarounds aren't what I was asking for. Was just asking if there was a tag for it.
Can close this.

johndoe1545

Resident Head-Patters
Donor
May 5, 2017
Moved to "General Discussion" instead, cause this sub-section suits this thread.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Techinacally, 90% of the games here don't have any combat at all, so it should be way easier to use the "Combat" tag in those few games instead of applying a new "No Combat" tag in all those games, so not having the "Combat" tag is your "No Combat".

Then, how much of the "Combat" games actually has the "Combat" tag and its inconsistensy could be a whole different subject.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Techinacally, 90% of the games here don't have any combat at all, so it should be way easier to use the "Combat" tag in those few games instead of applying a new "No Combat" tag in all those games, so not having the "Combat" tag is your "No Combat".

Then, how much of the "Combat" games actually has the "Combat" tag and its inconsistensy could be a whole different subject.
Context matters. Combat is normal in RPGM games, which is probably why the combat tag isn't intended for such games:

Used when a game contains combat sections/mechanics, excluding turn-based combat.​

Particularly with that in mind, a no combat tag explicitly for use with RPGM (and similar) games makes sense IMO.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Context matters. Combat is normal in RPGM games, which is probably why the combat tag isn't intended for such games:

Used when a game contains combat sections/mechanics, excluding turn-based combat.​

Particularly with that in mind, a no combat tag explicitly for use with RPGM (and similar) games makes sense IMO.
Wait, I never created nor tagged an RPGM game so maybe I'm missing something here. Is it not possible to create a RPGM game thread and use the "Turn Based Combat" or "Combat" tag?

Because as long as this is possible and the uploader chooses not to use them, then the absence of those tags are the "No Combat" tag.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Wait, I never created nor tagged an RPGM game so maybe I'm missing something here. Is it not possible to create a RPGM game thread and use the "Turn Based Combat" or "Combat" tag?

Because as long as this is possible and the uploader chooses not to use them, then the absence of those tags are the "No Combat" tag.
Well, there are some RPGM games with one or the other and some with both. So if tags were properly applied, you're right that a no combat tag wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, when you consider that less than 1/3 of RPGM games have either tag, there seems to be little expectation that they are properly tagged.

Honestly though, I pay so little attention to RPGM games that I wasn't even aware the turn based combat tag existed. I was thinking that, because combat is common in an RPGM game, it was decided that it didn't warrant a tag at all.

Last edited: