• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

New Renpy games don't start

rory68

Jul 5, 2017
Hi!I have problem with renpy games the last 2 months.I downloaded many games that don't start at all.When I click at the exe nothing happens,no log,no error sign and nothing appears in task manager.I have a ACER Aspire i5 laptop windows 7 ultimate 64bit.I had no problems before so I think that the new renpy has some changes.Can somebody help?Thanks!

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Put the games directly on C: and see if they work.

Renpy games not even opening usually means they are in a filepath with special characters (é, ã, etc) which makes renpy not find the game, so put games in any location that has none of that.

Reactions: rory68

rory68

Jul 5, 2017
I just put InSimology 0.9 in C: of my laptop but still nothing.I was playing this game till the last(0.8) version in my older 32bit pc without any problem so Ithink it has somethind to do with the latest renpy version.Thanks for your time!

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I just put InSimology 0.9 in C: of my laptop but still nothing.
Make sure you don't have an antivirus blocking the execution of the game or something similar.

You should also try running the game from a terminal to see if it spits any error there.

rory68

Jul 5, 2017
Make sure you don't have an antivirus blocking the execution of the game or something similar.

You should also try running the game from a terminal to see if it spits any error there.
I don't have antivirus.What do you mean run the game from a terminal?Sorry Im not very good in technical things.Thanks again!

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I don't have antivirus.What do you mean run the game from a terminal?Sorry Im not very good in technical things.Thanks again!
press windows+r, type CMD to open the windows terminal.

With the terminal open paste the path to the game executable, for example if it is on C:
C:\InSimology-0.9-win\InSimology.exe
Press enter and see if it returns any error there.

rory68

Jul 5, 2017
press windows+r, type CMD to open the windows terminal.

With the terminal open paste the path to the game executable, for example if it is on C:
C:\InSimology-0.9-win\InSimology.exe
Press enter and see if it returns any error there.
Still nothing!!

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I just put InSimology 0.9 in C: of my laptop but still nothing.I was playing this game till the last(0.8) version in my older 32bit pc without any problem so Ithink it has somethind to do with the latest renpy version.Thanks for your time!
I know why it won't run on your computer you said that you on a 32bit computer the game won't run because renpy doesn't support a 32 bit anymore

Announcement

I'd like to announce Ren'Py 8.0.0, the first release of Ren'Py based on Python 3. This release modernizes Ren'Py by embracing a decade of Python development, and brings the many improvements of Python 3.9 to Ren'Py.

Ren'Py 8.0 and Ren'Py 7.5 are the first in what is planned to be a joint series of releases. Ren'Py 8.0:

• Adds support for Python 3, which is recommended for all new games.
  • Removes support for 32-bit Windows and Linux. <-----
  • Temporarily removes support for the web platform, to be added back in a near-future release.

Ren'Py 7.5:

• Continues support for Python 2.7, to allow current games to release.
  • Improves support for the web platform, including:
    • Workarounds for changes introduced by web browsers that caused the browser to consume more memory when running Ren'Py, resulting in RangeErrors.
    • Detecting if the audio types supported by your game are available, and falling back if they are.

more information here:

rory68

Jul 5, 2017
I know why it won't run on your computer you said that you on a 32bit computer the game won't run because renpy doesn't support a 32 bit anymore

Announcement

I'd like to announce Ren'Py 8.0.0, the first release of Ren'Py based on Python 3. This release modernizes Ren'Py by embracing a decade of Python development, and brings the many improvements of Python 3.9 to Ren'Py.

Ren'Py 8.0 and Ren'Py 7.5 are the first in what is planned to be a joint series of releases. Ren'Py 8.0:

• Adds support for Python 3, which is recommended for all new games.
  • Removes support for 32-bit Windows and Linux. <-----
  • Temporarily removes support for the web platform, to be added back in a near-future release.

Ren'Py 7.5:

• Continues support for Python 2.7, to allow current games to release.
  • Improves support for the web platform, including:
    • Workarounds for changes introduced by web browsers that caused the browser to consume more memory when running Ren'Py, resulting in RangeErrors.
    • Detecting if the audio types supported by your game are available, and falling back if they are.

more information here:
It doesn't play on my 32bit pc but the problem is that it also doesn't play in my64bit laptop.Thank you for all your help!

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
It doesn't play on my 32bit pc but the problem is that it also doesn't play in my64bit laptop.Thank you for all your help!
have you tried to updating windows and all of your drivers

I have downloaded InSimology 0.9 and it runs just fine

Reactions: rory68

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
Windows 7 is over ten years old now. You should upgrade to a new OS.

rory68

Jul 5, 2017
I'm having the same problem. Can you tell me what update did you install?
I just did the windows update since the last time I updated them was 2019!But you must have a 64bit pc or laptop because new renpy doesnt work on 32bit!

Alex_88

Aug 15, 2017
I just did the windows update since the last time I updated them was 2019!But you must have a 64bit pc or laptop because new renpy doesnt work on 32bit!
I have windows 7 64 bit. Did you just run windows update in control panel or did you download the update from their website? I just wanna make sure before doing the update.

rory68

Jul 5, 2017
I have windows 7 64 bit. Did you just run windows update in control panel or did you download the update from their website? I just wanna make sure before doing the update.
In control panel.I just dont update windows defender.