new pc must do's? for wannabe devs

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
so my old pc died and i was looking into getting a new one, apart from the nvidia graphics card and ninite.com what are things to download or do?

another_alias

Apr 16, 2019
Do you already know your way around DAZ?
And do you need help with CPU or RAM?
Because I really don't know what you're asking here

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
well general tips, really. there's a ton of tutorials on things to do after getting a new pc.
So I figured there has to be lots of tips that doesn't make into those that is specific to nsfw in general.

Primalewd

Apr 16, 2022
I don't know about anything specific to NSFW really;
but as a data horder, this is a short list of some of the software I wouldn't go without:
  • - Great search tool, many filters & search term formatting options
  • - Mass folder/file management in context menu
  • - For the early days with new hardware to keep an eye on things, mainly thermals
  • - Mostly because it saves cmd command history
  • - Highly customizable start menu
  • - Plenty of options, mostly I just use this to disable a few things and add to the right click context menu, like opening cmd as admin in whatever folder I'm in.

zenshiny

Dec 31, 2016
is what I use to install/update most apps. In particular, I find it makes installing/uninstalling things like programming languages on Windows easier, without having to manually mess around with environment variables or the registry.

Before Scoop came along, I used . I found that to be slower and prone to breaking, but maybe it's gotten better since I last tried it. Plenty of people swear by it, and people who are less comfortable with command lines might get more use out of it.

Reactions: Primalewd

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
check out the bulid a pc subreddit, lots of people there who know about computers and have fun desiging computers, and many will select parts for you depending on how much you know you want (specific case or something), and price range. Years ago I was deep into pc building, but I've been out of it for a few years.

The main thing I recommend is getting a monitor that can do a good job displaying colors. when looking for monitors, if on sites like newegg, you can filter monitors by 'panel type' or technology, pick IPS or other IPS type technology. These tend to be calibrated out of the factor to be fairly good. It won't true 'color accurate' but you won't be able to get true color accuracy without a $$$ test kit, but it will be good enough to make content with (videos, renders, etc.). TN are the most common and cheapest panel type, but tend to be the worst looking. my two side monitors are TN and they are vastly different. I sometimes drag my art to each to see how my art looks on bad monitors (one monitor is too bright, the other can't do dark wells). You don't need anything too fancy, like some mac monitor. I use a gaming monitor where it has 3 saveable profiles so I have one that is color correct (based on some values in some other youtube video), one that uses the full brightness range, and one that i saturate/high contrast/beyond bright, for epic gaming experience, and can easily switch between.

if you go 1080p the sweet spot is a 24" monitor, and 1440p its 27", idk about 4k simply because 5 years ago last I checked, 4K was still a pain because operating systems couldn't properly scale their UI to work with 4K so everything was small an a pain to use/read/click.

Reactions: lobotomist

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
check out the bulid a pc subreddit, lots of people there who know about computers and have fun desiging computers, and many will select parts for you depending on how much you know you want (specific case or something), and price range. Years ago I was deep into pc building, but I've been out of it for a few years.

The main thing I recommend is getting a monitor that can do a good job displaying colors. when looking for monitors, if on sites like newegg, you can filter monitors by 'panel type' or technology, pick IPS or other IPS type technology. These tend to be calibrated out of the factor to be fairly good. It won't true 'color accurate' but you won't be able to get true color accuracy without a $$$ test kit, but it will be good enough to make content with (videos, renders, etc.). TN are the most common and cheapest panel type, but tend to be the worst looking. my two side monitors are TN and they are vastly different. I sometimes drag my art to each to see how my art looks on bad monitors (one monitor is too bright, the other can't do dark wells). You don't need anything too fancy, like some mac monitor. I use a gaming monitor where it has 3 saveable profiles so I have one that is color correct (based on some values in some other youtube video), one that uses the full brightness range, and one that i saturate/high contrast/beyond bright, for epic gaming experience, and can easily switch between.

if you go 1080p the sweet spot is a 24" monitor, and 1440p its 27", idk about 4k simply because 5 years ago last I checked, 4K was still a pain because operating systems couldn't properly scale their UI to work with 4K so everything was small an a pain to use/read/click.
The last thing i read was to go with OLED vs. LED.
Also, calibration. As far as i understand you can get (less expenisve) software calibrated or hardware (really expensive >2K).
I always wondered why in the US you don't get brands like Eizo or Iiyama. In Europe that is what you would get.
Personally, as a person not too much blessed with tons of money, i would probably go with some OLED. Still probably around min. $800.

I know now less than i knew when i started with computers. Now i am complete noob with anything computer. Already happy i can build them myself but that's about it.