whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
@metalspace
@whichone
You would need to answer to your boss as well if you're not coming to work, lmao :LOL:, can't just ignore him.
It takes no huge effort to keep someone informed with a little text, better than nothing.
Yes, you would be expected to have informed your employer that you are suffering from this awful situation.

This aspect has been covered by Pandelo's post on his patreon and his cancelling of taking payments.

Any employer with any sense of humanity would accept that notice and allow you time to deal with the situation to the best of your ability.

This aspect is where the shortfall appears, so it's the lack of humanity from those questioning that you're pointing out, not a failing on Pandelo's behalf.
I do not believe that most of the people complaining actually fall into the position that would remotely qualify as the "employer", I know that I do not - & I'm not complaining!

slackster

Feb 1, 2017
It would help stop the bitching if Mods would stick an On Hold tag on the game.

In fact they should do it to every game that goes 3 months without an update regardless if the dev is promising to update "soon"

RainMan92

Apr 23, 2018
The point is that its hard to believe to devs. If I start some patreon project today, I feel that there is a big chance that few days after I would be hitten by comet. There is some strange connection between 70% devs, cuz accidents hit them 10 times more than other people. One lost eye, other lost both leggs, then mental problems, transplatations, losing of close people, natural disasters... I could continue two A4 pages... About Pandelos, I hope that everything will be good if hes telling a truth, and I hope he is for his own good... And yes, small post would be helpfull, we are all here bcs we love this game, and few words could mean a lot.
Fell free to think that I am some kind of insensitive scum, but that is not the case. I am talking about bunch of patreon liers, and its becoming very hard to recognize them cuz every third one is not. I hope that u understand what I wanted to say, my english is not very good as u can see so I find very hard to express myself...

Reactions: Dsandr

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Having seen some examples of dishonesty previously doesn't really explain why you would automatically assume that every dev is also a liar, rather than taking them at face value until they actually prove/disprove their honesty?

This is not so much a question of someone's honesty or integrity, it is a question on the entitled nature of people who try to justify being so selfish and inhumane.

The dev has stated that his mother is seriously ill. If she is then do you honestly think that the dev posting here would be more important to him, than taking care of his mother is?

"This guy's Mum has cancer, I'm more important than that, he should post to let me know what's going on with his game."
Wow, just wow.

thomasxlong

Apr 3, 2017
The point is that its hard to believe to devs. If I start some patreon project today, I feel that there is a big chance that few days after I would be hitten by comet. There is some strange connection between 70% devs, cuz accidents hit them 10 times more than other people. One lost eye, other lost both leggs, then mental problems, transplatations, losing of close people, natural disasters... I could continue two A4 pages... About Pandelos, I hope that everything will be good if hes telling a truth, and I hope he is for his own good... And yes, small post would be helpfull, we are all here bcs we love this game, and few words could mean a lot.
Fell free to think that I am some kind of insensitive scum, but that is not the case. I am talking about bunch of patreon liers, and its becoming very hard to recognize them cuz every third one is not. I hope that u understand what I wanted to say, my english is not very good as u can see so I find very hard to express myself...
Wow, that is really cynical. Perhaps the reason it seems like that is because they have an audience and a reason for them to tell the situation, which in turn gets relayed to a site like this. I can guarantee some users are having a shit time right now, but you don't hear about it because there isn't any reason.

RainMan92

Apr 23, 2018
"This guy's Mum has cancer, I'm more important than that, he should post to let me know what's going on with his game."
Wow, just wow.
Its not more important bro, didnt say that. But this is kind of his job so he should at least minimum of care. If money hes earning not too importat to him, there are fans. And I am a fan too, and If he has problems, he dont need to make a post about game development, its enough to say hi to his supporters and make them happy. I rly wish him all the best. But this 2 months of silence makes people suspicious...

Reactions: Koulo077

Mrsubtle

May 8, 2018
In the end these are Passion projects, sure some might actually make a living off of it.
But passion projects sadly have lots of drawbacks from Owner/Creator to providing Content/services and what other factors are in play.

If his/her personal Situation is as it was said, its hard coming back to subject matter of especially this nature.
Also we don't know what kind of turbulence is going on out there.

Sure there could be some courtesy of saying not yet or something in that sense regarding status of this game, without explanation in the end this is still a very private matter and it's none of our business really. And it doesn't need to be. Being Profensionall and friendly with your customers is a tricky thing, can work really well, but also can backfire hard.
Currently its a state of patience and faith atm, that the game will continue, sure it may have lots of potential

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Here's my take.

If i'm making a game it's down to each person to decide if they want to support it or not, we're all adults, I don't need to hold someones hand while they decide what to do about their own money.

If a personal problem occurs, I would tell my patrons, cancel payments and that's all that matters. If you think i'm checking in every day while I have issues going on, think again and if you think i'd be checking a piracy site to update them then damn how is it in delusional world?

It doesn't matter if someone is a fan or not, my personal life, friends and family will ALWAYS come first as it should be for anyone.

For me i'm closest to my twin so if she was ill then all my attention would be on her and no amount of whining on here or patreon would change that.

This guys mother has cancer. No amount of bitching is going to make you more important than her to him.

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Just to clarify, since I think I'm to blame for the misconception, Pandelo's Mom suffered a heart attack. In my post, I talked about my Mom who died from cancer.

Thanks for the more civil debate that has happened since then.

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016
Sigh.

I'll only do this once and leave it to the maturity of the readers to take what they will from it.

Many years ago, when my Mom told us (at Christmas, no less) that she had colon cancer, it was a devastating blow. That she was not going to die "right away" was hardly consolation. She was way too young.

In some respects, I was fortunate. My boss allowed me to leave early on most days that she needed to be taken to chemo and also take whole days, as needed, for her care.

During that time, she became my sole focus. We spent as much time as we could together. While she was still strong, we took short trips. After that, it was just lunches and then, inevitably, the end.

I can't speak to other people and their relationships with their Moms. I can only tell you that during that time, I was totally focused on her. I almost never went out with friends. I worked more automatically than engaged.

I also cannot speak to the life experiences of some of the posters here, but I feel there are quite a few that have not faced this sort of scare in their life. I feel nothing but compassion and hope for Pandelo, his Mom and his family. I know the pain of never having Mom to call or visit anymore.

Professionally, Pandelo paused his Patreon charges. People who make snide comments here are obviously not patrons. Moreover, the very act of those comments says much more about them than anything about Pandelo.
That's sad and I feel your pain. Cancer is the worst, because it's slow and nothing is certain.
If you care about condolences from a guy on the internet you will never meet, like me, then I will tell you, that I feel for you. I would like if people wouldn't have to go through things like that, but what can we do... My grandpa suffered a stroke several years back, so I was the one who took care of his garden and later took over it, helped him with his chores, actually did a lot of them myself, because I was staying at the same house as him back then. He had another stroke few years later and died. He was not my mother, but we were close. Cancer is different than a heart attack and stroke, but your story explains why are you very sympathetic to Pandelo. Now this will sound terrible to say, but I had time to post stuff on the internet. Sorry, I just had to say it, couldn't help it.

And from what you said, since he paused Patreon, there is no point thinking he made it all up. If he just wanted to quit, he wouldn't drag his mom into it. Someone who makes as sweet story as MSN couldn't be a bad person.

Reactions: Gumarijus

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016
Warning: Long Essay ahead!

In my opinion, there is just too much projection and misconception or misjudgement of others motives and points. People even mistaking Pandelo's mom's heart attack with Ignaz's mom's cancer? Wow. But we all know, that people on the internet don't read whole comments before reacting.

There are some who think that Pandelo just found an excuse to quit, which doesn't make sense, at least not in his case. Thankfully there is only a few comments like this (if those weren't the ones deleted). If he was some kind of piece of shit, he wouldn't pause his Patreon, and milk it, or he wouldn't drag his mom into it. And as I said in the previous post, "Someone who makes as sweet story as MSN couldn't be a bad person.".

There are actually more of those who think, that people who are curious about the state of Pandelo and the game are entitled little kids (which reminds me of Kotaku and Polygon articles, btw). The "I'm better than ya'll." crowd is annoying as fuck, be it people who act like morally superior or like they are above the common stupid folk. They are as toxic as those whom they deem as such. Life is more important than a video game? No shit. :D Come on, it's not immoral to be curious.

But I can't blame anyone. We are on the internet, after all. We don't know anything about each other and only thing we can do is to assume. I have probably pissed off some people regardless of their stance just now... or this post could be completely ignored. I just wish, that there was some definitive statement from him, so the past 20 or so pages wouldn't happen. Or maybe they would either way. But what do I know? I am just a mean little entitled pirate kid on the pirate forums. Yarr!

P.S. Sorry for the long Essay.

Reactions: B-52reloaded

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Well wishes and support are always welcome, whether the person lives next door or is an anonymous name on the internet. So, thank you.

As for the rest, I don't doubt your capability to be able to post. Each of us have different levels of emotional burden carrying. I'm glad you were strong enough to handle more. I posted my story as an example of someone who was not able to, nor cared to, focus on anything else. Just to show that, in fact, there are people who might not even think to post about their family troubles, regardless of the number of people eager for some update...even if those waiting had the purest and most compassionate of motives for the information.

thomasxlong

Apr 3, 2017
Well wishes and support are always welcome, whether the person lives next door or is an anonymous name on the internet. So, thank you.

As for the rest, I don't doubt your capability to be able to post. Each of us have different levels of emotional burden carrying. I'm glad you were strong enough to handle more. I posted my story as an example of someone who was not able to, nor cared to, focus on anything else. Just to show that, in fact, there are people who might not even think to post about their family troubles, regardless of the number of people eager for some update...even if those waiting had the purest and most compassionate of motives for the information.
You are a good man, Ignatz. A lot of people would do well to learn from you and take heed to your words.

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016

I understand. And sorry, if it looked like I was making fun of your situation or making light of it. It must have been really tough. But enough of that. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope it didn't surface too many bad memories.

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Rest easy, it didn't come off that way at all.

Heresi

May 26, 2018
Many years ago, when my Mom told us (at Christmas, no less) that she had colon cancer, it was a devastating blow.
(Reads whole thing. Twice.)

Dude, I know exactly that feeling. The details are a bit different (breast cancer, a month after Christmas, I had just quit a shit job for unrelated reasons) but otherwise I could've wrote that myself. I stopped looking for work, spent my time with my mom. No regrets, at all. Been a bit over twelve years, but even now you couldn't give me anything to change those six months. My only regrets are that it took that to make me realize what my priorities were and I had really short-changed her before that.

4.60 star(s) 84 Votes