My Daz questions: As I learn it

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
never knew how much of a headache shoes could be... especially when they don't move with a pose or have region presets for applying them.... I had them correct and fitted nicely, then switched her pose up to see how she would look more natural and well shit on a stick.

Reactions: GNVE

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
never knew how much of a headache shoes could be... especially when they don't move with a pose or have region presets for applying them.... I had them correct and fitted nicely, then switched her pose up to see how she would look more natural and well shit on a stick.
Not relatable at all :LOL:

Reactions: Hamfist

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Sometimes high heels feel like that in real life as you try and walk!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Some of the pose sets for the female figures will come with high heels wearing foot poses already included. A very few have both heels on and heels off poses included. It is indeed a pain to pose properly.
If you have the heel prop parented to the figure correctly then it should move with the figure as you bend the joints.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
ok so I screwed something up while drinking last night, for some reason today when ever I try to do a render it's comin out ona 1 to 1 render size it's tiny and I change it back to wide screen and the viewport looks right but then renders tiny WTF did I do, also dont drink and render apparantly

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
Still messing with render settings and figuring out lighting. I'm such a hack LOL any way enjoy

Reactions: GNVE

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
the biggest things that bug me about this render, the lighting is no how I want it, the wall behind the couch is washed out/over lit, the UV/map of her stocking on her heel doesnt fit right so it looks like she has a run, and the black collision dot on her front thigh which I can only assume is from the stocking colliding with skin.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
one thing I see with a lot of users on here, is that they tend to use lighting that mimics light bulbs and stuff, but that doesn't usually turn out well. Often having to use ghost lights to properly support the shot (which isn't bad, if anything that is expected and very standard). unlike many, it looks like your render at least has plenty of light, but I do see what you mean, the background looks too well lit while the character perhaps could use more.

My only guess is it is due to most everything being white, meanwhile character skin textures I noticed tend to be darker than what I typically use (at least when I port over the skin to blender, I don't know how daz shaders handle the skin differently).

two things you could do is either lower the whiteness of the object, this probably isn't best. If anything, after throwing the image into gimp and testing, I would say lower the camera's exposure to prevent washout, and I would say adjust the gamma so the contast is the same (lower exposure, darker image, lower gamma the more contrast but whites pop out), but I myself prefer higher contrast so I probably wouldn't need to tweak the gamma after lowering the exposure.

Then there is always the question of: is your monitor color calibrated, as that will always impact your work flow.

also this may help, I thought it was some pretty good information

Last edited:

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
Playing with portrait type settings on one of my custom adjusted characters (T.J.8 base)

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
her hair needs to be darker brown. and her Iris need to be a midge smaller but I'm pretty happy with her other than that.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
and for reference both in zero pose. Lizzie (the incomplete character) vs her base teen josie 8. they are both set at the exact same plane and zero pose, for height reference (since this isn't a full body shot) changed a lot arms glutes hips etc. but the real differences can only really be seen in the face, no one is going to notice a 0.5 increase in arm size or nail length etc. the face really make the character. I need to adjust eye color iris size and cheek/jaw profile still but I'm getting there.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
As always constructive criticism appreciated, razzing and snide remarks welcome too, (doesn't bother me I'm still a beginner, have no illusions of being a pro).

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
That render you think is great until you look, once it's finished and realize, you totally effed up the shoulder hair. Nailed the lighting totally ganked the hair over shoulder.... sigh... LOL

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I'd like to find a different skin map for her too but one step at a time.
It depends on what you want to go for, in terms of style, or what it is you want to communicate about the character.

I myself don't like realistic skin textures, so the texture from the character Tess, tends to be my favorite for just about every character I make. I haven't found anything else I liked more, but there's always more experimentation to be had.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I love realistic textures and skin, the problem is it's the little things, Like the mole being in the same place that messes with me I don't care how different a character is, if all the moles are in the same place it's just the same mutated skin. If I had a square cut map and could lay the uv onto them (which I probably can I'm just not there yet). One HD character I have I hate her skin because the person who made her skin used too much upwards texture, "IT puts the lotion on the skin".... LOL or the freckles when they hit the curves of the jaw/bridge of the nose or other stretch points (going from flat to 3d) it stretches the texture. My favorite character that I have created using those maps has those flaws I hate but it's the best I can do for now.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
skin has this weird sort of flat point, where unless its a stress or severe age wrinkle, it does not go upwards of that point, unless it's a pressure bulge (fat, age, torsion, pressure, scar etc.) but flat skin neutral all textures go downward, and that's where like every skin texture irritates me. and of course imperfections like moles freckles, if I had the skill I'd make 1 acre flat skin maps for uv cuts then the chances of getting the same 100% matching skin would be millions to one.