Music for game devs

ParkG

Game Developer
May 12, 2021
Keep seeing a lot of games using the same default music, just wanted to share that you can get royalty free music packs on humble bundle like . Should really get some better music!
Whoah, thanks a lot! Looking for royalty-free music all over the internet is such a pain, and the free selection rarely fits what I'm looking for.

furiani

Apr 15, 2024
There's a lot of these bundles kinda regularly, some even have sfx, but most are generic UI stuff.

Uglyvirgin

Mar 9, 2018
I DO NOT recommend buying music from there anymore.
I been purchasing and browsing music and assets from humble bundle for some time now and there has been a significant change in the type of music being sold. I'm 90% sure Humble Bundle has started selling AI music, the technology really has come along way. Like actually listen to the music you linked it just sounds like random noise. I've listened to other bundles that sounded way worse with instrument sounds placed haphazardly. If humble bundle is selling music from an isolated website with no author's name I'm pretty sure its made with AI.

And I'm not trying to start an "AI is bad" argument, I just don't want people to get ripped off. You can prob make 10x better AI music on Suno catered to your game for free.

HentaiHerald

Jun 25, 2017
I been purchasing and browsing music and assets from humble bundle for some time now and there has been a significant change in the type of music being sold. I'm 90% sure Humble Bundle has started selling AI music, the technology really has come along way. Like actually listen to the music you linked it just sounds like random noise. I've listened to other bundles that sounded way worse with instrument sounds placed haphazardly. If humble bundle is selling music from an isolated website with no author's name I'm pretty sure its made with AI.

And I'm not trying to start an "AI is bad" argument, I just don't want people to get ripped off. You can prob make 10x better AI music on Suno catered to your game for free.
Well I like this guy anyway especially

Uglyvirgin

Mar 9, 2018
Well I like this guy anyway especially
Meaningless trash.

The dude popped out of nowhere with 566 tracks in 1 month its definitely AI music. Don't throw away your money, you won't get anything deliberate or thought out rooted in music theory. Might as well just use Suno to create your own AI music for free.

ParkG

Game Developer
May 12, 2021
Meaningless trash.

The dude popped out of nowhere with 566 tracks in 1 month its definitely AI music. Don't throw away your money, you won't get anything deliberate or thought out rooted in music theory. Might as well just use Suno to create your own AI music for free.
Interesting. Instead of getting the one originally suggested by OP (Cinematic Soundwaves Bundle, by the artist you mentioned), I ended up getting this other bundle (Creator Boombox Bundle, ) which I think is better by a long mile, and its tracks feel more natural and melodic. I played a few previews, and liked what I was hearing. $20 donations from patrons well spent! Either way thanks, HentaiHerald, for your suggestion! Otherwise I wouldn't have thought about looking for Humble Bundle music.

I'm not too fussy about the music, as long as they fit what I'm looking for. I wish I could create my own tracks, but as a small-time hobbyist developer, the effort is not worth it, not only because very few people play my stuff to hear my carefully created tracks, but there's no guarantee they might even play it if I created my own music.

On a related note, websites like Pixabay have a lot of free music as well. I used that website for my tracks needs, as well as the good ol' reliable, Kevin McLeod. But it's just that it gets tiresome, browsing through different tracks to find something suitable.

Last edited:

Uglyvirgin

Mar 9, 2018
I ended up getting this other bundle (Creator Boombox Bundle, ) which I think is better by a long mile, and its tracks feel more natural and melodic.
I agree the music from that bundle sounds way better but once again it has the signs of AI music. Varied genres, no author name, and no history beyond just a couple of months. I know I sound like a deranged schizo but this has been the pattern of bundles being sold recently that I've grown very familiar with. The one you bought is by far the best sounding one to date based on how well AI technology has progressed.

I urge you to try any up to date AI music service just to understand what I am talking about and see how easy it is to create these tracks.

HentaiHerald

Jun 25, 2017
Meaningless trash.

Eh, I still like some of it, music is subjective tho!

furiani

Apr 15, 2024
Varied genres, no author name, and no history beyond just a couple of months. I know I sound like a deranged schizo but this has been the pattern of bundles being sold recently that I've grown very familiar with.
At first I thought you may be overreacting, but listening to the samples hmmm, you may be right. It's all very generic and wildly varying genres, very strange someone would compose this. In theory someone could just be putting together loops they got and "composing music", but ... sus.

Reactions: Uglyvirgin

AlternateDreams

I'm tired, boss.
Game Developer
Apr 6, 2021

Thanks for your comment.
I hadn't thought about the fact that these packs could be generated by AI.
The first pack didn't interest me because the music didn't really stand out. Some parts start well and then in the end the music changes completely rather than reusing what it has set up.

The second pack, on the other hand, interests me. It's been in my bookmarks for a week and I've been waiting to buy it, but now I have my doubts! But then, if the music is good and you can legally use it, AI or not, why not...

Anyway, while I was looking for what Suno could do after reading your comment, I came across Udio, which apparently is better and lets you reuse music in commercial projects if you credit them. But you'd have to read their terms and conditions in more detail to be sure.
Source :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

EDIT : It looks like the second pack doesn't use AI.
Source :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uglyvirgin