RPGM Monster Girl Isekai - New Game - Feedback

Isekai Games

Nov 30, 2017
Hello,

I’m working on an RPG Maker MZ game. The story is inspired by the popular anime Shield Hero. It will be a 18+ game, and I have a couple options to approach it, so I’m looking for feedback.

General story: Guy or Gal is summoned into a fantasy world, but ends up being betrayed due to some prejudice from the king/princess. Protagonist is falsely accused of doing something bad, so he/she has to run it solo without support, and loses trust in people. Protagonist gathers allies through purchasing slaves or taking a risk allying with people. He/she builds up their ability to trust slowly over time and clears his/her name. Monster girls are invading periodically during this story, so protagonist is focused on training. Protagonist also has a fatal flaw depending on class chosen.

Planned Scene Times: Game Over Monster Girl Scenes, Companion Scenes, Prostitutes (Similar to Monster Girl Quest Paradox)

Do you think having story/character options that impacts what unlocks you can have is better than a linear story that allows you to unlock scenes at your leisure? The first option would require multiple playthroughs to unlock all scenes.

If you were supporting the development of a game, would you prefer a bunch of scenes without animation or a moderate amount of scenes that are lightly animated?

When you are playing these games, do you prefer there to be a strong story line with lots of backstory/lore/character development, or do you prefer a lighter story with more focus on the scene dialogue?

Do you prefer random battles or enemies with sprites that run around/ chase you?

Current Progress: First 5 scenes complete, 1 Animated, Game Has Intro Complete - Think it’ll take a month or two to get alpha for chapter 1 out. If you have any good resources you can share to speed up the development process, that would be a big help.

Thank you,
Isekai Gaming

Reactions: Botmini

zeboftw

Mar 16, 2023
General story: Guy or Gal is summoned into a fantasy world, but ends up being betrayed due to some prejudice from the king/princess. Protagonist is falsely accused of doing something bad, so he/she has to run it solo without support, and loses trust in people. Protagonist gathers allies through purchasing slaves or taking a risk allying with people.
Are you trying to make Shield Hero with adult content, or are you just taking the premise of Shield Hero and then building your own story from there. Because if it's the second one, I would like to read some more about the original part of the story like "How is it going to differ from Shield Hero?"

Protagonist also has a fatal flaw depending on class chosen.
Kind of like this.

Do you think having story/character options that impacts what unlocks you can have is better than a linear story that allows you to unlock scenes at your leisure?
I think this is not really a choice you should make based on the player's desire. The second option is the safe route, it's harder to get it wrong. As you said, you give the player the option to see as much content as they like or as little as they want. But this also means that it's likely they will have no reason to replay the game.

A game does not need replayability but seeing as you plan to introduce "fatal flaw depending on class chosen" makes me think you do want a diverse combat system that a player would want to replay. In this case the first option makes more sense. It even makes writing a coherent story easier, since you know exactly when an event will or will not happen, as opposed to a linear "play at your leisure" game where the order of events is not fixed.

Do you prefer random battles or enemies with sprites that run around/ chase you?
From the reviews I've read about other RPGM games, random battles are looked down upon. Even from an objective point of view, they don't bring much to the game over having enemies placed on the map.

If you were supporting the development of a game, would you prefer a bunch of scenes without animation or a moderate amount of scenes that are lightly animated?

When you are playing these games, do you prefer there to be a strong story line with lots of backstory/lore/character development, or do you prefer a lighter story with more focus on the scene dialogue?
Again, this is your game. First and foremost, you should be making something you enjoy. After you've realized what your game should be about, just go nuts. Only then you can present it to the world and get their feedback. But creating a game catering to the masses might not be as fun as making something you enjoy.

From what I've seen, a lot of the most popular games just have static CGs. Animation does not seem to be worth the effort. I would certainly prefer 3 static scenes over 1 animated scene.

As for lore vs scene dialogue, I think it's best to have a good balance between the two.

Reactions: Isekai Games

Isekai Games

Nov 30, 2017
Are you trying to make Shield Hero with adult content, or are you just taking the premise of Shield Hero and then building your own story from there. Because if it's the second one, I would like to read some more about the original part of the story like "How is it going to differ from Shield Hero?"

Kind of like this.

I think this is not really a choice you should make based on the player's desire. The second option is the safe route, it's harder to get it wrong. As you said, you give the player the option to see as much content as they like or as little as they want. But this also means that it's likely they will have no reason to replay the game.

A game does not need replayability but seeing as you plan to introduce "fatal flaw depending on class chosen" makes me think you do want a diverse combat system that a player would want to replay. In this case the first option makes more sense. It even makes writing a coherent story easier, since you know exactly when an event will or will not happen, as opposed to a linear "play at your leisure" game where the order of events is not fixed.

From the reviews I've read about other RPGM games, random battles are looked down upon. Even from an objective point of view, they don't bring much to the game over having enemies placed on the map.

Again, this is your game. First and foremost, you should be making something you enjoy. After you've realized what your game should be about, just go nuts. Only then you can present it to the world and get their feedback. But creating a game catering to the masses might not be as fun as making something you enjoy.

From what I've seen, a lot of the most popular games just have static CGs. Animation does not seem to be worth the effort. I would certainly prefer 3 static scenes over 1 animated scene.

As for lore vs scene dialogue, I think it's best to have a good balance between the two.
Thanks for the feedback! To answer your question about the story relation to Shield Hero, I’m still currently in progress of making the story, but I have an idea of the story structure. The game would follow a similar story structure and arch to Shield Hero. Kind of how a new marvel movie is the similar to most other marvel movies, but there is a twist with the powers (weapon/strengths/weakness), backstory, character motivation, and big bad guy. Over time, I would want to also add options to the personality. For example, instead of wanting to escape/clear their name, the protagonist may be more aggressive and want revenge depending on player choice.

Here is the general story I’ve come up with so far:

I have the MC pegged as a healer/support class. Eventually, OP ability as level essentially turns him into a paladin temporarily using light as a weapon. Earl-mid game, mc has low health/attack. He saves/heals people on his journey after essentially being exiled from the capital city. Picks up Allie’s along the way by capturing/binding monster girls. First partner is gained after saving the life of a dying Angel (monster girl). She teaches you the binding spell. If you level up the monster girl & improve relationship enough, you unlock scenes and the binding spell can be removed.

Other heroes are: Beserker with anger issues, Sword and Shield with hero complex, and a rogue/hunter/archer with a Robinhood complex. They all hate the main character in the beginning because they believe the lie the princess told everyone. Main enemies is an invading general of a world conquered by monster girls. They can invade periodically using portals that utilize human essence as fuel (story timer for key events). A group of cult worshipers opened the gate initials and the monster girls that came through then took over management of the portal. Average Humans are struggling to defeat the monster girls. Protagonists goal is to clear their name and get back home by ending the invasion/destroying the gates.

I’m still deciding what would be a compelling reason for the princess betraying/framing the main character is. My thought is that they hate religion, and healers/support classes are generally associated with the old church/religion that they expelled from the country.

Also, planning to mirror the prejudice against beast people similar to what you see in a lot of animes. Main character won’t go along with the cat girl and dog girl hate. Beast people won’t be furry yiff style, but instead standard anime animal girl style.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeboftw

King3435

Dec 28, 2023
Hello,

I’m working on an RPG Maker MZ game. The story is inspired by the popular anime Shield Hero. It will be a 18+ game, and I have a couple options to approach it, so I’m looking for feedback.

General story: Guy or Gal is summoned into a fantasy world, but ends up being betrayed due to some prejudice from the king/princess. Protagonist is falsely accused of doing something bad, so he/she has to run it solo without support, and loses trust in people. Protagonist gathers allies through purchasing slaves or taking a risk allying with people. He/she builds up their ability to trust slowly over time and clears his/her name. Monster girls are invading periodically during this story, so protagonist is focused on training. Protagonist also has a fatal flaw depending on class chosen.

Planned Scene Times: Game Over Monster Girl Scenes, Companion Scenes, Prostitutes (Similar to Monster Girl Quest Paradox)

Do you think having story/character options that impacts what unlocks you can have is better than a linear story that allows you to unlock scenes at your leisure? The first option would require multiple playthroughs to unlock all scenes.

Current Progress: First 5 scenes complete, 1 Animated, Game Has Intro Complete - Think it’ll take a month or two to get alpha for chapter 1 out. If you have any good resources you can share to speed up the development process, that would be a big help.

Thank you,
Isekai Gaming
your game released yet?

Isekai Games

Nov 30, 2017
your game released yet?
No, I finished all the art, but I'm stuck on the rpg-maker side. of things. Have the maps down, but struggling to figure out how to make the game scalable (dragable images). All the art is ~1080p, but it doesnt look good at default rpgmaker resolution. On the other hand, if I up the game res, the game itself looks dumb like everything is zoomed out. Couldn't find a solution online. Do you know how they do it in games like succubus puttel/lust grimm?

King3435

Dec 28, 2023
Use a custom resolution plugin to match your 1080p art.
Scale assets and maps accordingly to fit the higher resolution.
Employ parallax mapping for detailed backgrounds.
Implement a zoom feature for players to adjust view.
Ensure art assets are high-quality and prepared for scaling.
Test and adjust resolution settings for optimal visual presentation

I hope this will give you any help.

Reactions: Isekai Games

Isekai Games

Nov 30, 2017
Use a custom resolution plugin to match your 1080p art.
Scale assets and maps accordingly to fit the higher resolution.
Employ parallax mapping for detailed backgrounds.
Implement a zoom feature for players to adjust view.
Ensure art assets are high-quality and prepared for scaling.
Test and adjust resolution settings for optimal visual presentation

I hope this will give you any help.
Thanks for the help! I'll give it another shot this weekend.

Reactions: King3435