Monitor

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
Which monitor would you guys recommend for using DAZ Studio?
I just bought especially for rendering a new desktop for $1700. From the very beginning I want do it the professional way, so now I'm looking for a good monitor to do it properly. As I have no clue about the monitors I hope you guys will be able to give me the very basics which I should look for. I'm willing to spend up to $150. I'd be thankful if you guys would have some examples from bestbuy or walmart [so I can just drive there and buy it in the same day], or if there will be no good products in stock then I can order it from the newegg, where I recently bought my dekstop. What's the purpose? I want to learn the DAZ Studio and when I'll see that I'm good in it then I'd like to dig into the Ren'Py world and check out my skills as a game maker.

captainJugs

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think it matters on what type you have, if your just rendering to screen, any monitor will do.

Expensive monitors are for gaming with high refresh rates and for print/photography where colour has to be spot on before going to print. And then there is the fancy curved screens in 4K.

But one thing i do recommend is a dual monitor setup!!

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
I know any will do, but I need dimensions, like I wrote before I have no idea which will be the optimum for rendering. As I bought desktop just for DAZ Studio, I want to get monitor that will be suitable as well.

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
It sounds like you think the monitor size affects the rendering size which is not true.
You can render 4k images even on a 720p monitor so you should just pick monitors you are comfortable using.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
One thing you want to watch out for is the fact that you can't adjust the text size in Daz. Thus, if you go TOO high a resolution on your monitor, things get very tiny. Of course, I'm an old fart, so having larger text sizes helps me. :) But this is a common complaint among the "4K folks."

I'm perfectly happy with my 24" 1920x1080 monitor for Daz. I don't even have a dual monitor setup - I just have the various "stuff" laid out to the left and right of the main viewport so that I can "toggle them closed" to get the viewport to be nearly full-window. Not that a second monitor wouldn't be nice now and then, but by arranging my Daz workspace carefully, I manage.

Reactions: szakirari

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I don’t mean to be a snob (to the other commentors), but as someone who actually knows a thing or two about monitors,

YES PICKING THE RIGHT MONITOR DOES MATTER!!!!!!

So there are three things to think about when picking a monitor.
Resolution, Size, and color reproduction ability.

It seems the others are only thinking about the resolution (granted captainJugs did point out a hint about color reproduction for printing). Everyone is correct, the resolution is not that important for rendering, just because when rendering, the program (any) will render to a buffer, which can be save or displayed as an image. The buffer size can be set to any resolution independant of the screen’s resolution. So you could render at 4k and share 4k images, but when you look at the image on your monitor assuming something like you have a 1080p monitor, you will be looking at the downsampled variation, so you won’t be able to see it the 4k, but the image will be cleaner and smoother because of the downsampling, tho a $1700 computer rendering 4k daz images i am estimating takes about 30 minute a frame last I check the settings and my guess about components, idk. meanwhile 1080p should take a quarter of the time since it is quarter of the data to be calculated.

Resolution: I would recommend two:

1920x1080p (the p is actually not correct since that is for describing video formats) is a great option since it will let you know what most people will see on their screen, letting you know how detailed you can and can’t be.

2560x1440 also known as 2K (be careful lots of screen advertise 2k but do not have this resolution or do not have the proper 16 by 9 ration of modern day monitor standards.) if 4k is 4x 1080p, then 2k is 4x 720p. this screen is slightly bigger by 70% more pixels. The main bennifit with this is you get more “real-estate” to work with on your screen. Mainly I find my favorite thing about 1440p is that you can render or display a 1080p image on the screen, at full size, and still have room for the user interface of Daz or Blender without the interface covering up part of the images so you can both see all you need and still work without any compromise. Also, it is just nicer to have a bigger screen. 2k is a type of sweet spot, since as Rich pointed out, 4k does have the issue of making text too small to read and window does scall the best to 4k.

Size: You don’t want to go too small as then the screen would strain your eyes, but if you go too big you will be able to see the pixels and that may distract you or make it hard to truly read the image on your screen. Here are the sweet spots, as per my research of what the PC MasterRace community thought was best.

if you have a 1080p monitor, go for 24” (diagonal) monitor, this is a good size, a common size, and not too stressfull or to large.

if you have a 1440p monitor, go for 27” (diagonal) monitor. Not only is this bigger (and you can sit it the same distance away comfortable on a desk) but even though it is bigger the quality is still better, if you compair a 1440p monitor at 27” next to a 24” 1080p monitor, you will be able to see that the pixels of the 1440p monitor are still smaller than the 1080p monitor, meaning even though the screen is bigger it is still generating a higher quality, shaper image.

NOW TO THE IMPORTANT PART EVERYONE ELSE MISSED
COLOR REPRODUCTION.

different monitors have different color proproduction capabilites. What it means to produce color is, how accurate is the monitor to produce the color you want it to. if you tell it to turn white, will it be white, will it be slightly blue, yellow, green red? How well does it handle the low shadows? does it start to bleach out if the colors start to to get too brights. Issues like this can mean many things. if your monitor has bad color reproduction, bad things can happen. having a good monitor means you know what your image is suppose to look like, and you can assume most people will not have a good monitor, but that the average monitor will average around to what yours look like. Maybe you want to make a scene with a bit of a cold mood, so you make the light in the scene a bit pure or bluer. On some monitors it will look even more bluer, on some monitors it may not be blue enough. if you happen to have a monitor that has a hard time with blue, and you try to do this, you may try to make the scene look good, but without realizing it your scene may have too much blue and other people may notice it and it may even look goofy. Thats an easy example, a hard example, one you will for sure have, is issues with darks and brights. most monitors do not smoothly transition from dark to bright. if you bring up a gradient image you can see banding of shades on a bad monitor rather than a smooth transition. Because of this if you try to make scenes with more or less light for dramatic effect, the image may either be a bit washed out, the details may be lost and if you are using a bad monitor you will have to compensate for this, by either brightning up the image or dimming it, which means the final product will not be as good as possible when users/players view your content.

So you need to get a monitor with a decient color reproduction ability. I am not saying, go to best by, look for the monitor with the colors that most pop out, and buy it. most of the time in stores the idiots selling tv set the saturation way up to make crap tv and monitors look better than they are, but it is just ruining the true image quality.

Most monitors starting cheap are TN type pannels, TN is the cheapest, the fastest switching (important for twitch based gaming such as CS:GO), but the worst color reproduction (tend to be a bit yellow, have a hard time with dark colors, and the brighter the image the harder the colors standout.) also with many, in moving images there is a bit of a red forward ghost and blue after ghost because each color turns on and off at different speed depnding on the monitor.

What you want and why I went to the effort of making this longwinded comment is

MONITORS WITH TYPE IPS SCREENs

While there are many different panel types out there, tn and ips are the two most popular. tn being cheap, ips used for making good quality screens. side note there are many ips sub types, such as IPS-AV or AH-IPS which are common. also good brightness is recommended since it expands the range of your screen so you can see your work with the right setup.

if your budget is $150, you can get a 24” 1080p ips monitor from newegg, any thing LG brand will be good, if not go for ASUS or DELL but avoid the rest, but i would recommend stepping up to $220 to get the LG 24MP88HV-S since I can at least confirm that it is callibrate out of box so the color reproduction is confirmed (else with the other monitors you would have to calibrate it yourself and you do not have the equipment for that)

But if it interest you and you want to step it up to a 27” 1440p monitor with ips is about $330 to $650 and just about any model at this point is good in terms of quality, Dell, BenQ, BUT especially ASUS and Acer .

If you are wondering, I have the latter, an Acer Preditor XB270HU (OLD now replaced by the XB271HU becasue it has a more gamery look i guess), for $1400, which is expensive because i wanted high refreshrate, g sync, and it has a game mode feature that is not related to gaming, but lets you switch between three different presets, I have one seting for calibrating for color prints (and easy to look at when it is night time and dark in my room, good for reading since it is dimmer), one where it is the same calibration but at full brightness so I can properly appreciate the different levels of brightness in my renders (really bright, like seeing a glint of of a jewel or car bumber actual hurts my eyes with this monitor) and my special setting for more bloom to make images and video games more exotic when I enjoy content. This is parred with 2 crappy cheap 1080p monitors because I needed more screens to work with and their quality doesn’t matter.

(thing to point out, when having both a good and bad monitor, you can actually move images to each monitor and see how much a bad monitor will alter the image even if it has been calibrated to its best performance still it is amazing to see the change, so much so I am a firm believer you should go to ips if you spent $1700 on a computer.)

also, what are the specks of your computer, just curious.

Hope this information was helpful to someone, or at least interesting and I’m not just talking to myself :3

Reactions: szakirari

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
@Saki_Sliz bro woooooooooo hat's off and that's why I started this topic. This is exactly the answer I was hoping for. I'll checkout what best buy and walmart have in stock because I'm kind of hoping to get a monitor tomorrow, so I can start digging into DAZ options as soon as possible. When I started to read your post I was down to the 27" option but later when I saw prices that you mentioned for them I lost my faith in it. I'll probably go with the 24" IPS. As a newbie in DAZ studio and as a game maker I shouldn't overspend on products even though a good PC is a half of success. I believe that first I have to learn how to take full advantage of the items I got and after when I'll be able to use them maximally then I can jump on better goods. Thank you so much though for bringing closer the monitor topic, I'm really thankful!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yay, I was helpful! :D
Glad I could help.
so when you go into the store, have a list with you if needed. The box should tell you if it is IPS or not (if it doesn’t say ips, or it is hard to find, it doesn’t have ips since that is something companies like to advertise if they do have it). If it is a reputable brand (Acer ASUS or LG) but the seller is not too sure if the screen is precalabrated, you can probably find a video online where someone calibrated the monitor and you can just copy their setings for a clone enough fit. use sites like (I don’t have enough posts yet to be able to send links) Lagom LCD Test Site. to see if everything looks good. if it is precalibrated but you want to play with the settings, just make sure to write the settings down first before you make any changes.

Best of luck!

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
Despite all great info from Saki, I would pick one ultrawide model: 2560x1080.

I have two 25' and liked them a lot. There is also the 29' model and is not very expensive compared to others.

You can use the viewport in the middle and config panels in both sides, in the same text proportion of an 1920x1080 monitor, the most common type these days.

The first one I got, has in-built speakers, but the second doesn't. Don't know why someone would make a product worse than before.

Jun 29, 2018
One thing I decided on like 20+ years ago is the monitor, mouse, and keyboard are things you use every single time you are on the computer so it pays to get something you are happy with. If Daz is your main concern don't worry about getting some top of the line gaming monitor with high refresh rates. I have one as my main monitor because I do like to game but for 3D work it doesn't matter.

I haven't used a ultra wide curved monitor but may try one in the future. I have three 27 inch monitors (ASUS) and I love having all the screen space. I keep Daz on my main screen and I have a separate panel with Scene, Lights, Camera, Render Settings, and an Aux Viewport on a 2nd monitor. It makes it easier to quickly jump to what I want to work on. You do need a big desk for that though.

My other suggestion would be a monitor calibration tool. It can help make sure your monitor gets close to correct lighting and colors as possible. Not only to get your images correctly adjusted but it also makes it easier to keep multiple monitors close to each other.

You could eyeball it by creating an image that's a single color, then looking at it on 2 or 3 monitors at once. You should be able to see any difference in the images brightness and color that way. It's easy to balance them this way but it's still tough to know what's correct. You can also get an ok calibrator pretty cheap. I'm still using a Spyder 4 I got like 5 years ago.

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
Guys, look what I found:

They all seem as a fair deal. Which one would you all recommend?

@Saki_Sliz @MaxCarna

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I suggest this one for $149.99:

LG 25UM56-P 25"
Class 21:9 UltraWide
IPS Gaming Monitor 2560 x 1080 5ms GTG 60Hz 5,000,000:1
Contrast Ratio with Black Stabilizer and Dynamic Action Link
SRGB Over 99% and 4-Screen Split

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Looking over the links, here are my thoughts

Top pick would be the link @MaxCarna sent, since it is the one monitor that can confirm over 99% sRGB Coverage, that and it is an ultrawide so MaxCarna’s argument still stands, you can fit the render image in and still have room for the UI of the daz program. I am actually suprised @MaxCarna was able to find an ultrawide with this price tag, IPS no less. I am suprised as well the monitors @szakirari found, it looks like the price for ips is dropping compared to when I last went monitor shopping.

Second pick would be the fourth out of the 5 links @szakirari sent, the view sonic, It is one of the three monitors that actually say ips, it has the best prices out of all the three ips monitors (and they are all 27” for some reason, i don’t know why but it is a comfortable size, hopefully the pixel size is alright) as well as built in speakers, which while they will not be that good, I find it that sometimes while working with my computer, moving around, i have to fall back on to using these speakers as a backup when my other audio stuff stops working for some reason or another, so this is a nice bonus feature.

Third would be the fifth link out of 5, the AOC because it is the second of the three monitors that actually say ips, tho at this price it is the same cost as the top pick so... you might want to go with the top pick.

fourth pick being the first link since it is the last of the ips type displays, but it cost more than the top pic

the other two screens are last place since I couldn’t confirm if they were ips or not.

(i’m shocked, the sight is now calling me a member, no longe a new member, yay!)