Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
So I found some kind of bug involving scrapping. I had two writhing tentacles, and scrapped it twice - one at a time - and somehow ended up with 0 being listed in my inventory as 1. I *think* I had also been moving other items around in my inventory immediately before this. Maybe something about this caused it to be left in my inventory as an item when it should have been removed? Specifically, I think I moved slot 7 into slot 5, then slot 2 into slot 5, with the tentacle ending up in slot 6. Then I scrapped the item in slot 7 followed by the tentacle in 6.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Pyksies

number482

Oct 16, 2018
First of all, this is pretty amazing just coming out with a complete text adventure!

I had a lot of fun with it though I think I hit a bug? I might also have misunderstood. I disabled the level cap, but it limited me to level 10 anyways

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
So I found some kind of bug involving scrapping. I had two writhing tentacles, and scrapped it twice - one at a time - and somehow ended up with 0 being listed in my inventory as 1. I *think* I had also been moving other items around in my inventory immediately before this. Maybe something about this caused it to be left in my inventory as an item when it should have been removed? Specifically, I think I moved slot 7 into slot 5, then slot 2 into slot 5, with the tentacle ending up in slot 6. Then I scrapped the item in slot 7 followed by the tentacle in 6.
Argh, I thought I fixed this. A friend reported it again, but she was on a prior version, so I crossed my fingers about it being due to that. Writhing Tentacle specifically, right? Nothing else has done this? I'll look into it later, see if I can't squash this one.

E: Ugh. I managed to reproduce the bug!... once. I'm not sure of the exact triggers, but it definitely involves moving Scrappable items, and it only seems to happen with Scrapping, not Selling. It can either reduce the item's stack to 0, or it can remove the item improperly and result in a space with no item and a minus stack on it. Further investigation proceeding.

First of all, this is pretty amazing just coming out with a complete text adventure!

I had a lot of fun with it though I think I hit a bug? I might also have misunderstood. I disabled the level cap, but it limited me to level 10 anyways
The Level Cap feature in settings is an adjusting level cap that changes with your main mission progression. It prevents you from overlevelling beyond the intended challenge of a section.

MERCANOID has a hard cap of 10, and this isn't bypassed through that option.

Last edited:

LowLevelLesser

Feb 8, 2021
'Tis the way of things. I'm a solo dev, and MERCANOID is free - despite the time that's gone into it. My artistic abilities are limited to UI, some basic pixel art and edits of purchased pixel assets. The simple fact is that if the game had art, it may well have been better, but the one thing it wouldn't have been is free. Given the nature of this site, that's worth keeping in mind.
I'm also a solo dev and I understand.

I've gotten two frameworks partially done for a pair of games I'm working on (five games planned but working on two currently) and I'm also not the most artistically talented despite years of trying. I'm doing a few pixel-art and cartoon-style pieces and have been playing around with Daz 3D and Koikatsu stuff. I can get away with basic backgrounds at least; most likely keeping the art very simple and minimal in general.

If worse comes to worst I'll use 3D renders but I'd rather use drawn art.

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
Do you remember if you had an Incredibly Poisonous Mushroom on you, at all? I think I've narrowed it down to a problem with that item specifically - when an item swaps positions with it, bad things happen.

E: Oh, no, nevermind. Something WAS wrong with that item, but the rot runs a lot deeper. Houuuugh...

EE: AHA. Well! Turns out I'm a bimbo. So, if you want the Sausage Factory Behind The Scenes:
Basically, when a Consumable item is swapped, I added in some extra code to handle applying the Stack for that both items onto their new destinations. HOWEVER!... this was only ever one way. I somehow never noticed that when you swap two consumable items, the result is that the item that performs the swap is fine, but the item that gets swapped as collatoral gets its stack replaced by the item it was swapped with.
ie: You have 4 Cores and 8 Paravines. You swap Core right. You now have 4 Cores and 4 Paravines, and the Paravine's variables are very confused by this.

I'm gunna need to make some minor additions but it should be fine. Thanks for the report! It'll be fixed by 1.0.7.

Last edited:

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
Absolutely loved this game and would love to see more of this kind of games from you!
I've got plenty more in the pipe!
Download says "all" but guess android isn't included in that
It is not. I didn't write the 'all' next to Downloads, that's the Uploaders. With that said, the game's OS are listed as Windows, Mac and Linux, and there's a note that while the game -will- launch on mobile devices, it isn't designed with them in mind. The images aren't loading because your phone isn't seeing the assets folder that contains said assets. I don't know if there's a way around that - I don't know the file structure of Android and IOs. You're not going to be able to play in portrait/vertical anyway, the sidebars are clearly taking up all the space.

Last edited:

DrDerpington

Oct 6, 2017
DrDerpington Saw your review. Thought it should be noted that the dev for Mercanoid made things rather unique here, in that you don't need to lose to any enemy whatsoever to unlock the bad end scenes. They get added to the fantasizing option when being repaired in the pod room.

They automatically unlock whenever you beat an enemy or get past an environmental problem.
Oh, thanks. I totally forgot about that.
I updated my review.

• Red Heart

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
Thank you! A lot of the time spent on making MERCANOID was spent on its framework, which, as you've guessed, is for future projects. It means I can make more games of bigger scope quicker, in theory. MERCANOID is a demo of me, that I'll be able to point to and go 'this is what you should expect from my games'.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Rixen
May 18, 2020
I just finished a review, but if I may, I want to thank you for the wonderful game, you did a fantastic job in my opinion and I hope to see more from you in the future! I hope you have a pleasant day~

• Red Heart
Reactions: Rixen and Pyksies

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
I just finished a review, but if I may, I want to thank you for the wonderful game, you did a fantastic job in my opinion and I hope to see more from you in the future! I hope you have a pleasant day~
I'm thrilled you enjoyed it, and thank you for the review. ♥ More is on the way, but I'm recovering from an illness at the moment, so I'm taking things slow.

May 18, 2020
I'm thrilled you enjoyed it, and thank you for the review. ♥ More is on the way, but I'm recovering from an illness at the moment, so I'm taking things slow.
Well! In that case, I wish you a speedy recovery in addition~ do take care of yourself and as stated prior, may your day be a good one!

• Red Heart

Pyksies

The Fae Agenda
Game Developer
Jul 22, 2020
1.0.7 is now live! Changelog of OP updated - and the 'known issue' addition is also probably taken care of, but leaving it there just in case.

- Fixed some typos in Codex sections.
- Fixed a major item bug that was overwriting swapped items stack totals.
- Fixed a bug that was causing Bleed to not reset between fights, also causing stacks to get absurdly high. Those who'll miss the big numbers should be aware that this bug worked both ways, on Enemies AND Players!
- Fixed Summon Drones AGAIN, now it correctly deals 15 damage instead of *healing* the enemy by 15.

4.90 star(s) 26 Votes