Comics Collection Melissa N. Collection [2024-05-03] [Melissa N.]

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
We can't trust Andrew's thoughts. They are impaired. Chapter 18 conflicts with any ability that Andrew would ever have to act as his true self without impaired judgement.
Well, I think there's enough we don't know that your interpretation of events could be correct, but based on the info we have now, I don't agree. The exposition "recap" at the end of chapter 21 seems way too ham-fisted to be misdirection. But, we'll just have to wait and see how the story unfolds from here. ;)

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023
So I think this chapter actually had something important - Andrew/Elena did something with Nikos to make sure they seemed to be a happy couple. This was apart from what was done with Eva/Sofia . And it wasn't just "hey you have to pretend we are married and Andrew doesn't exist."

Going out on a limb here, whatever it was is going to explain the behavior of both Elena and Nikos, how they somehow have a "favorite romantic spot" and have regrets about the first wedding and so on. I'm thinking it involves Mr Orlov either something he taught Andrew in the past, or, less likely, Mr Orlov puts in an appearance here as the one who prepares a detailed backstory for Mr and Mrs Samaras. Is it hypnosis? Drugs? (Aphrodite says Mr Orlov would be impressed if Andrews Elena act was just method acting).
This would explain how Nikki's is behaving so absolutely awful to Marina and is taking things to such extremes, he really does believe Elena is his long time wife. Elena is also affected I'm this way, but not quite as much .

Other observation: Seferi said he wasn't going to kill Joel; he may have underestimated what he did to him, as Joel is apparently hanging onto life. Not sure what to make of the police guys recent, not overly friendly familiarity with Nikos (the car accident?) It wouldn't seem to involve the Albanians as the police guy is just now asking about Joel.

misseva88

Jul 5, 2017
He did lose himself. That is a side effect of what was done to him. Along with memory loss and concentration capacity.
Is there any way Marina could know the cause of it? Thalantyrs screenshot comes from a private, one on one, conversation the surgeon has with Elena.

Marina can have sex with James if she wants to. Is she going to look heroic for doing so? Not in my opinion. She'll come across as a petty slut. She isn't under the influence of any drugs. James hasn't been shown to be manipulating her like Nikos has been with Elena. Marina still has own free will left intact. If she sleeps with James, it will 100% be her choice to do so, unlike it was for Andrew, who barely knows who he is most of the time, has memory loss, difficulty concentrating, LOSS OF SELF, etc.
Point is Marina and Andrew have been presented with similar temptations and she hasn't given in while Andrew has. Marina doesn't know about the chemical manipulations Elena has suffered from because the two of them together are some of the worst communicators. All she knows as far as I'm aware is the summary I shared. I don't think that makes her a spoiled brat deserving of hatred. She feels betrayed.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
Is there any way Marina could know the cause of it? Thalantyrs screenshot comes from a private, one on one, conversation the surgeon has with Elena.
Marina is probably not aware. She doesn't listen to anybody apparently. :LOL: If she cared like a real wife would have, she would have talked to the doctor and looked into what was done to Andrew and what type of side effects he would be experiencing. She also would have looked at what type of aftercare Andrew would need post surgeries and offered to assist her husband turned aunt.

"You senile, rotten slut!"
Sadly, that shows that Marina is aware of Andrew's memory problems, even if she doesn't realize that they are medical side effects. She just doesn't care about him having a valid excuse.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
Sadly, that shows that Marina is aware of Andrew's memory problems, even if she doesn't realized that they are medical side effects. She just doesn't care about him having a valid excuse.
I took this as Marina mocking him, because this is the third time (including the incident from several months ago) he's betrayed her in some fashion and then claimed to not remember doing it. She doesn't seem to believe him, because why would she?

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
I took this as Marina mocking him, because this is the third time (including the incident from several months ago) he's betrayed her in some fashion and then claimed to not remember doing it. She doesn't seem to believe him, because why would she?
Well, if she had cared enough to speak with his doctor or read his medical files, she would know to believe him. Her inactions to do so make her look like an uncaring wife. Did she not have 10 minutes of her time to spend talking with his doctor, or a nurse, or picking up the clipboard with all the medical notes that is usually attached to the end of the bed?

Reactions: antiumbra

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023
Yes I give Marina some slack - she is in what I would call a complete unique situation, in her honeymoon and her husband is now castrated, 30 years older, a different sex and married to and sleeping with her favorite uncle.
I might find some choice insults to spread around as well

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
Well, if she had cared enough to speak with his doctor or read his medical files, she would know to believe him. Her inactions to do so make her look like an uncaring wife. Did she not have 10 minutes of her time to spend talking with his doctor, or a nurse, or picking up the clipboard that is usually attached to the end of the bed with all the medical notes?
Well, also keep in mind that as far as the hospital is concerned, Marina is not Elena's wife, guardian, or next of kin. Hospital staff would not be allowed to reveal any medical information to her without Elena's express consent. Marina would have to trust that Andrew told her everything there was to tell about the surgeries.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
Well, also keep in mind that as far as the hospital is concerned, Marina is not Elena's wife, guardian, or next of kin. Hospital staff would not be allowed to reveal any medical information to her without Elena's express consent. Marina would have to trust that Andrew told her everything there was to tell about the surgeries.
Anyone who can get into a hospital room can pick up the clipboard and read it. :LOL: I've done that myself just to tease a co-worker.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
Anyone who can get into a hospital room can pick up the clipboard and read it. :LOL: I've done that myself just to tease a co-worker.
Heh, well just to fully exhaust the argument, I don't actually see a clipboard in any of the many different angles we see of the room, including the foot of the bed where you might expect it to be. :ROFLMAO:
ch18-0732.png

Also I know that the hospital near me doesn't use paper charts anymore. Everything is computerized, and patient rooms have standing computer stations on wheels that the doctors and nurses use (and they auto-lock after a few minutes and need to be unlocked with an ID badge). But of course I realize that this is all super petty technical stuff and probably has no bearing on the actual story.

But putting myself in Marina's shoes, if I was a loving wife worried about my husband, I don't believe I'd think to read the chart while I was in the room talking to my husband even if there was a chart to look at. I'd expect my husband to tell me all the pertinent details. That is, of course, until later on when he started acting strangely, which was at the dinner party when he ignored the codeword. At that point, I'd probably try to contact the doctor, who of course would refuse to tell me anything because of doctor-patient confidentiality. My only other recourse would be to go directly to Elena, or to her "husband", both of whom seem to be acting strangely and are not particularly cooperative or trustworthy at the moment. She also tried getting information out of Sofia, who has been similarly uncooperative and untrustworthy.

Marina is kinda stuck in the dark right now. Yes, I wish she'd listened to what Andrew had to say, but after him admitting that he had sex with someone else, I can fully empathize with her being too upset to listen any further.

Last edited:

Stevedore100

Dec 4, 2023
This story has multiple points where Andrew and Marina (and others, Nokia, daughters) made poor choices, AND multiple points there these same characters could have ended all this by just saying "ENOUGH!"
This gives each of them plenty of room to blame others for what is going on, but also leaves them with a lot of blame to shoulder themselves. As a result, both Marina and Elena are handling this way less than optimal. Elena should be quickly screaming to Marina for help rather than trying to explain his memory issue in some rational manner while at a pool party and Marina probably should be doing more than just going along with the program and having resentment pile up. But I get why neither of them are doing those things

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
Also I know that the hospital near me doesn't use paper charts anymore. Everything is computerized, and patient rooms have standing computer stations on wheels that the doctors and nurses use (and they auto-lock after a few minutes and need to be unlocked with an ID badge). But of course I realize that this is all super petty technical stuff and probably has no bearing on the actual story.
Even without a paper chart for Marina to read, I don't see any logical reason as to why Andrew wouldn't have given his consent for Marina to be able to talk to a nurse or doctor. An aunt giving a niece consent is perfectly fine and normal. Being in Andrew's shoes, I would have wanted my wife to help me as much as possible with this situation. Being in Marina's shoes, I would have wanted to have helped my husband as much as possible, because I love him (right?), and my family and I are responsible for this situation that my husband is sacrificing himself to help keep us safe and protect us.

Remember, this whole idea came from Nikos and was supported by Marina and her cousins. Andrew specifically asked for Marina's approval. Afterwards, every single time that Andrew tried to back out of this, it was Marina who told him not to. She presumably (?) had no idea how this was going to escalate into what is basically a 99% complete gender reassignment surgery with age progression, mental changes, personality changes, etc. However, she should be feeling guilty for being partially responsible for not letting Andrew opt out every time he tried to.

But putting myself in Marina's shoes, if I was a loving wife worried about my husband, I don't believe I'd think to read the chart while I was in the room talking to my husband even if there was a chart to look at. I'd expect my husband to tell me all the pertinent details.
This is where we just have to agree to disagree. :LOL: If I was in Marina's shoes, I would have wanted to know every detail so that I could offer as much emotional and physical support as possible. My husband was turned into a woman and I would feel the need to be the one to help him adjust to womanhood. I wouldn't just say, good luck, hopefully my uncle and cousins will take care of you. I'm going to be busy hanging out with this new dude I just met.

That is, of course, until later on when he started acting strangely, which was at the dinner party when he ignored the codeword. At that point, I'd probably try to contact the doctor, who of course would refuse to tell me anything because of doctor-patient confidentiality. My only other recourse would be to go directly to Elena, or to her "husband", neither of whom seem to be acting in their right mind or are particularly cooperative or trustworthy at the moment.
Exactly! Those were red flags. Marina's inactions were not consistent with how a loving spouse would react in my opinion. In Marina's shoes, my husband has made sacrifices for me and my family, that we have asked him to do, when he resisted I insisted that he continue, and now he appears to be LOSING HIMSELF MENTALLY. I would have tried my best to have figured out what was going on and tried to help fix things. If I failed to figure out what was going on and failed to fix things. I certainly wouldn't blame my victim of a husband for actions that I should realize might be out of his control. If my husband, who I've specifically told to play the part of Elena - the loving wife of my uncle, had sex with my uncle, I would blame myself, my husband, and my uncle. I failed as a wife to help "protect" my husband, despite all the sacrifices that he had made for me and my family. I wouldn't put all of the blame on my husband and pretend like all of those other circumstances that I'm aware of don't exist. I certainly wouldn't start thinking about fucking some dude that I clearly have no love connection with, just to get some petty revenge on a husband that I'm supposed to be in love with. Honestly, if Marina bangs James, I'm not going to believe that Marina ever loved Andrew in the first place. Maybe she didn't?

I would have been fine if this had clearly been a story about two unhappy people trapped in a marriage and all this crazy stuff happens and they both find love in the arms of other people. That would have been fine. I actually want to see Elena and Nikos end up together, which would pair Marina with someone like James. With the magical help of Aphrodite rewriting history, that could be done in a happy way. Without the use of magic, it isn't going to feel like a happy ending. It is going to feel dark, because the love between Elena and Nikos is forced. It isn't natural, it is medically induced. Any love story between Marina and James isn't going to feel happy either. If this was going to be a dark story with bad endings, it should have been built that way from the start. I love stories with bad endings just as much as stories with good endings. However, they require different formulas. Aphrodite's Mirror feels like it is mixing elements of the two. It almost feels bipolar at times.

Melissa has said repeteadly that Aphrodite's Mirror will not have a dark ending. She has also implied (up to interpretation) that it wouldn't be a bittersweet ending either.
2023_06_06.png
I just can't forsee a happy ending coming out of this story at this point in time. Even if we do get some kind of happy ending, will it be enough to get the bad taste out of our mouths from all of this darker stuff?

misseva88

Jul 5, 2017
Marina is probably not aware. She doesn't listen to anybody apparently. :LOL: If she cared like a real wife would have, she would have talked to the doctor and looked into what was done to Andrew and what type of side effects he would be experiencing. She also would have looked at what type of aftercare Andrew would need post surgeries and offered to assist her husband turned aunt.
As far as Marina is aware, Andrew has pushed her away on several occassions. When they're having that conversation in the hospital room he makes it a point she has to act like he's her real aunt from that point onwards. After everything they've been through up to that point, I don't think it's fair to ask of her to assume it was exclusively the drugs talking.

She also isn't allowed to look into the medical data of her aunt, which I feel is also a fair defense. But I don't want you to have to redo that argument. ;)

Sadly, that shows that Marina is aware of Andrew's memory problems, even if she doesn't realize that they are medical side effects. She just doesn't care about him having a valid excuse.
I took that as Marina no longer seeing Andrew in that human being, after the betrayal she now only sees Elena. Andrew isn't senile or a slut, Elena is. The door to Andrew is closed and I took that as her only seeing Elena now.

LadyBoyJay

Jun 12, 2017
As far as Marina is aware, Andrew has pushed her away on several occassions.
Who was pushing their spouse away in this scene?
GREECE157.png GREECE158.png GREECE159.png GREECE160.png GREECE161.png

What about this scene?
GREECE443.png GREECE444.png GREECE445.png GREECE446.png
Who made the choice not to run? Who made the choice for Andrew to continue living as Elena? Who made the choice for Andrew to continue down the path of feminization?

Who was it, that in hindsight, might have given Nikos the idea that he could be romantic with Andrew/Elena?
GREECE58.png GREECE59.png
At this point, they were not being spied on. Marina was talking like this because she wanted to, not because she had to.

I took that as Marina no longer seeing Andrew in that human being, after the betrayal she now only sees Elena. Andrew isn't senile or a slut, Elena is. The door to Andrew is closed and I took that as her only seeing Elena now.
I agree. Marina seems to have abandoned Andrew, and is angry at Elena, not herself, not Nikos, just Elena. Which is really sad! :cry:

Last edited:

Oled65cxpua

Dec 2, 2023
Let's get real here. From Marina's perspective, her husband just cheated on her by being anally fucked by her uncle. That's quite a line to cross, and we still don't have any real explanation for this behavior. Andrew supposedly isn't under the influence of any kind of mind control. So let's stop trying to rationalize a justification for Andrew's gay adultery. Marina is perfectly in the right.

Melissa has said repeteadly that Aphrodite's Mirror will not have a dark ending. She has also implied (up to interpretation) that it wouldn't be a bittersweet ending either.
View attachment 3533823
I really hope this isn't the case. It would be such a let-down for this all to end in another "Tug of War" ending. It would retroactively ruin the whole story for me.

I think Melissa's success with Mirror kind of broke her. The mystery in Mirror is something that clearly works, it's why topics for her work are very popular on forums like this. She's trying to replicate that success by not answering questions, to use flashbacks later on and milk the length of the story, benefitting from the Patreon model.
I think it would be much better if Melissa focused on a long and a short story simultaneously, rather than releasing two long stories alongside each other.

The problem right now with AM and K-Pop is that they require long rendering time between each release and the releases often end up containing nothing but story exposition without any sexual content. Consequently, sometimes Melissa will end up going weeks without releasing any sexual content because of the focus on these two long stories.

This is a big turn-off for the fans who want regular sexual content, especially if they're paying a monthly subscription and barely getting any during the entire month. I think it's a big part of the reason people lost interest in K-Pop, which has mostly involved story exposition with barely any sex up to this point.

If Melissa kept the focus to one long story at a time alongside a short story (with updates every day or so like she used to do), there would be more regular sexual content in addition to the ongoing story arc, and the audience would get the best of everything.

MyraTSF

Dec 22, 2023
Let's get real here. From Marina's perspective, her husband just cheated on her by being anally fucked by her uncle. That's quite a line to cross, and we still don't have any real explanation for this behavior. Andrew supposedly isn't under the influence of any kind of mind control. So let's stop trying to rationalize a justification for Andrew's gay adultery. Marina is perfectly in the right.

I really hope this isn't the case. It would be such a let-down for this all to end in another "Tug of War" ending. It would retroactively ruin the whole story for me.

I think it would be much better if Melissa focused on a long and a short story simultaneously, rather than releasing two long stories alongside each other.

The problem right now with AM and K-Pop is that they require long rendering time between each release and the releases often end up containing nothing but story exposition without any sexual content. Consequently, sometimes Melissa will end up going weeks without releasing any sexual content because of the focus on these two long stories.

This is a big turn-off for the fans who want regular sexual content, especially if they're paying a monthly subscription and barely getting any during the entire month. I think it's a big part of the reason people lost interest in K-Pop, which has mostly involved story exposition with barely any sex up to this point.

If Melissa kept the focus to one long story at a time alongside a short story (with updates every day or so like she used to do), there would be more regular sexual content in addition to the ongoing story arc, and the audience would get the best of everything.
Not a bad idea, but on the other hand patreon is cracking down hard on 18+ content of all kinds. Who knows how long Melissa could have a short story focused more on erotic scenes before it backfires.

Thalantyr

Dec 1, 2023
Not a bad idea, but on the other hand patreon is cracking down hard on 18+ content of all kinds. Who knows how long Melissa could have a short story focused more on erotic scenes before it backfires.
Do you know if Melissa is considering more permissive platforms like SubscriberStar? I believe they don't accept Paypal, and some people think they're a little shady, but I'm sure there are still plenty of people who would follow Melissa there to continue getting 18+ content.

I think Mana Omega has the best plan out of the creators I subscribe to. She started a SubscriberStar that's being updated with the same content she'd been doing on Patreon, but she also left her Patreon up for those who don't want to move platforms. On Patreon, she only posts cropped/censored previews in the timeline, and people get the actual content via Dropbox links. That way, there's no actual 18+ content being hosted on Patreon, so I think she is technically abiding by Patreon's new guidelines. Hopefully her Patreon will be able to stay up, but even if it does get shut down, she's been advertising her SubscriberStar on Patreon frequently so people will know where to go.

MyraTSF

Dec 22, 2023
Do you know if Melissa is considering more permissive platforms like SubscriberStar? I believe they don't accept Paypal, and some people think they're a little shady, but I'm sure there are still plenty of people who would follow Melissa there to continue getting 18+ content.

I think Mana Omega has the best plan out of the creators I subscribe to. She started a SubscriberStar that's being updated with the same content she'd been doing on Patreon, but she also left her Patreon up for those who don't want to move platforms. On Patreon, she only posts cropped/censored previews in the timeline, and people get the actual content via Dropbox links. That way, there's no actual 18+ content being hosted on Patreon, so I think she is technically abiding by Patreon's new guidelines. Hopefully her Patreon will be able to stay up, but even if it does get shut down, she's been advertising her SubscriberStar on Patreon frequently so people will know where to go.
Yeah Patreon is only bending over because of Paypal. The payment provider don't really like the iffy parts on Patreon so there's that. SubscribeStar needs a credit card and not many like that either. One might say fans will follow, but almost every artist I know who switched over had a huge loss.
Not sure about Melissas future plans tho. She's enigmatic even outside of her comics :D

Funny you mention Mana Omega as I'm subscribted to her on Patreon. :p