• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Mega and Firefox

loqex

Aug 5, 2016
Wonder why Mega has issues with Firefox. Any download bigger than a 1GB it wants to use mega plugin.. but on Chrome, it is fine downloading through browser, doesn't matter the size.

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Because Google implemented the functions from the mega extension in the browser and Mozilla didn't - considering the MEGA/Google implementation I'd have to say - stay away from them if you use an SSD disk and even if you don't better use an external download manager than Chrome or the FireFox add-on.

P.S. It's a limitation imposed by the technology MEGA decided to use and not a browser thing.

loqex

Aug 5, 2016
Interesting and scary.. I read Mega's privacy policy. Currently using chrome portable only for downloading from Mega, not for general surfing.

Is there anything for firefox that can download from Mega without using mega's plugin?

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
No, you should check for download managers that support MEGA.

A0144

Oct 8, 2016
I just have Mega sync and I download files first onto my phone then transfer over to my PC if safe.

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I just bit the bullet and got the mega plugin since I only use Firefox and have since I was 13 and my mom found my search history on IE. Figured a second browser exclusively for me meant I didn't have to remember to clear my history and it worked.

loqex

Aug 5, 2016
Might want to consider using chrome portable just for mega stuff.

I wouldn't recommend using mega plugin with firefox if firefox is your day to day browser... just be sure to read their privacy policy and see if you are comfortable with it.

Last edited: