Unity Medieval Brothel Development Thread

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Hello everyone and welcome to the development thread for Medieval Brothel. I have sat back for many years enjoying games here and recently started up development of a new game. I have spent over 5 years in game development and a few months ago decided to try my hand at the adult game genre. So I started up a new alias, account, twitter and now excited to start sharing my progress and plans for the future.

What is Medieval Brothel
At its heart Medieval brothel is an RPG and management game. The player finds themselves enslaved by a band of raiders and needing to escape. You lived your life before enslavement as an assistant to a great brothel owner in the capital city, but when the raiders came many were slain, tortured, enslaved or worse. Your mentor was killed in front of your eyes and you vow to take up where she left off and create famed brothels throughout the Lands while training up the most beautiful Courtesans. You will have many decisions regarding your path forward and certain decisions will effect things to come. You will have full access to your own set up skills, brothel upgrades, and of course training of the workers. Aspects of the game will happen in real time around you and you will see your brothel workers in action.

Goals For Medieval Brothel
I really am aiming for putting the game mechanics and game play at the forefront of development. While having real time quality sex animations and high quality models as well. I have always loved the older RPG type games like Bladurs Gate, Icewind Dale, and Pillars of eternity. Yet also adult games like Slave Maker, sim brothel and the like. So bringing something similar just feels exciting to me. I have already worked out and integrated a dialogue system, animations, cutscenes, isometric changeable camera, rpg skills, behind the scenes dice rolls to add chance into gameplay on top of the regular development that has lead towards being close for a first ALPHA release or demo. I plan to update monthly and hopefully use patreon to gather support and bring on other developers to help bring the game where it should go. Later I then plan after regular updates release on Itch and Steam when the time is right.

In Closing
I am really excited for the future of this project and know how many great developers, and consumers there are here at F95zone. I look forward to posting updates regularly here and conversing with all of you. Thank you all for the time to read this and hope I can bring another great game to the community.
Buffalo Muff

Bj Time.jpg
SHack.jpg
Iso.jpg

Twitter:
Patreon:

Last edited:

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
A lot of Ui elements of course are being changed as is the interaction UI for training the girls, but I made a very quick prototype similar to Slave Maker games, but all the mechanics are working perfectly. Spent more time hacking together the code for not only ability for images or cutscenes to happen, but real-time like the sims or similar games. You want to girl to practice giving head. Well as long as she is willing she will move to the correct locations, with a client or trainer and perform what is asked. Code was really optimized off the get go, and already expanded well.

• Hey there
Reactions: RickyPhatts

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Today there was an incredible amount accomplished. Continual work on the backend ai for "Johns and Janes" fullfilling their basic carnal needs. Story line progression for the Beginning Act of game play. Some dialogue refinement (Which of course will be a continual battle for me as much as I do enjoy writing) and skill check options introduced to old nodes. Early marketing material as you can see below recorded and quickly edited. Also had a stick of RAM go to complete shit on me , so thats always fun to figure out why your computer wants to BSOD...

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Another great day mostly spent inside the code base. I decided to move away from the prototype ui and button selections as it did not fit with the rest of the game. Let me explain a little bit. Initially for testing and ease of initial prototype I set up a robust UI that for each girl was storing all the data and different game options i.e. Go work at brothel, training. etc. when buttons were pressed we had images if wanted, text explaining the days outcome and behind the scenes stat changes, money, experience just to name a few. The system is great and many games use something less robust and are great, but that being said I am almost finished with something much better. Realtime interaction, World spaced individual ui (think the sims), real time state machine learning and decision making. For a nerd like me this is so much more refined and makes me happy. Once acquiring the workers / party members you then can choose one, move them where you wish, have them interact with the world, open up their choices in bubble ui around the player, send them into states, watch them live go interact and follow your commands it is really incredible to watch, and I will focus heavily on maintaining clear and optimized code as good practice, but also to expand and allow many workers and npcs in game (things can get a bit heavy with that after awhile so really will focus hard on best practices. I am extremely happy with the progress today and posted just another quick , the selection, highlighting and ability to then tell the girl where to go and watch her move gracefully around depending on the state machine (her obedience, tiredness, orientation, lack of skills can of course cause discourse between what "YOU" want and what they are willing. All of this of course works with all the other states implemented, but each needs a bit of work and of course sexual acts with at least one partner require a few things not limited to animations, syncing, bend shape work, ik, etc.

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Building more off of yesterdays work, and some re balancing.
So far everything is going as planned, and getting a lot of work accomplished. Issue today was fine tuning the interaction system and bug testing. Was able to initially selected available "Party Members" and then give them set of orders and movement. They also would become highlighted, and then if clicked else where un selected (inside game mechanics and visually). Issue being had not set up the other intractable objects. So once selecting one of the Brothel workers could not then tell her to go speak to indiviual "Johns", Go sleep or sit in individual spots, or anything of the like. The system is still pulling mechanical ideas from quite a few games. Today I decided to continue going with the bubble ui decisions and tasks around selected "Party Members or Interactables" much like the sims. The more I expanded it the more I loved it, and figure this along with the established dialogue will be perfect. Few last steps for the rest of the week shall be designing out the Ui on screen for when selecting "Party Members" you will be able to see their stats, skills, tasks, and actions. Here is a and also a few screenshots below. New Ui 1.PNG New Ui 2.PNG

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Solid day continue foundational work and re-tweaking some characters. Set up a standalone re builder to create new working girls 100 times quicker than without. There is a lot of scripts, and UI per controllable character so this was crucial for moving forward more efficiently. Main focus today was continuing the plan for intractable situations, and controls. Which of course led me to even more. Started introducing the main HUD and getting some nice looking things going. Happy so far and a long weekend ahead MEANS A TON to get accomplished. Took a few renders for marketing material after refitting some clothing on her Beggar 4.png
Beggar 3.png
Beggar is her name, but we definitely shall be having some votes to get these names worked out sooner than later

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Made some huge gains this weekend, mostly regarding the interaction system. Will try and finalize first draft, and new Ui tonight and update you all ASAP. Also I edited the First initial development post with our new Patreon link. Still early in development but hoping to have a first release of a stable build by next month, and as most games will be uploading there (as well as here) soon enough!

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Finally..!! Excitement and exhaustion. Was a battle, but are through the initial interaction, sexual work, soliciting, dual animations all controlled and real time. Took damn longer then I hoped , but really happy with things being expandable, optimized, and most of all working well. Brought in some camera work to top it off, and switching characters with ease. Take a quick look for some video, and also here are some Renders from character work.
Main 4.png
Main 2.png

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Just keep on keeping on. Small victories around Smart Objects today. Enabling actions depending per object, and per actor.
The idea in itself should work great once the mechanics are all in place. Excited to move towards filling the game out more once this is complete. A Fixer Upper 3.PNG

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Bringing out the Ui today. Got all skills, stats, feats, and levels into primitive locations in the hud. Everything switches dependant on which girl you are selecting. Spent a good amount of time tweaking with the State Machine, and Ai brains. had a great time and dictating dumb medieval sluts brainwaves is more or less frustratingly fun ;)
All in all feeling great about everything, and going to take a step back the rest of tonight and really try to line myself out with a decent scope of a game, and not get lost in how many great things "I COULD DO". Bringing something well enough thought out and polished to me feels much more important than a lot of small cool things that do not really add much value. Woot! Making progress

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
This type of game is my desire. I am a Unity programer, if you need help, maybe I can join your team.
Thank you for the interest. Right now I am just planning out and getting started, but if and hopefully when I gain more traction I might (no guarentees) want to bring in some more help. Will let you know if I do, but dont wait up for me.

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
It's always refreshing watching a project developed with Unity.

I fear you are aiming for something too big, althought it seems yo have the skills for it...

I wish you good luck and will be following (y)

Reactions: Buffalo Muff

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
It's always refreshing watching a project developed with Unity.

I fear you are aiming for something too big, althought it seems yo have the skills for it...

I wish you good luck and will be following (y)
Thank you very much. Right now really trying to narrow down scope and stay focused. From normal work and experience this is key to success for every project (especially solo or small teams). Hopefully it is not too big as I narrow things down.

Reactions: kintarodev

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
I do really enjoy using the engine as well. Not so much in comparison to Unreal, because really it falls flat with most things.
Yet ability to dive into the code and continue with so much more flexibility and ease of going back to update things etc.

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
I do really enjoy using the engine as well. Not so much in comparison to Unreal, because really it falls flat with most things.
Yet ability to dive into the code and continue with so much more flexibility and ease of going back to update things etc.
Are you saying that do you prefer Unreal over Unity?

I myself started with Unity some years ago. At first, everything was a struggle, but eventually I got the hold of things.
Also, I learned to be a better learner, not fearing mistakes and errors themselves but even getting excited to discover where excatly I had to improve.

The lockdown in my country also helped me to invest big amounts of time to improve quite a lot...

Neverthless, when Unreal 5 got popular I also got interested in it and even thought of changing engines, but I never got that used to it. No matter how I try to aproach them, Blueprints are not my thing.

I realized that I was already too used to program all my stuff from zero using C#. For me, C# is the definitive factor sticking to Unity. Also learning over time how to properly use lights and reaching my desired 'game feeling' for each occasion through the right PostProcess set up.

Still when I see how Unreal deals with open environment scenarios and clima + lighting I feel a bit of.... mixed feelings torwards Unity itself... something like that...

Buffalo Muff

Sep 26, 2022
Some great improvements this week and looking forward to another solid weekend. Brought in another playable / trainable character and cant wait to do a bit more work on her. Pun Intended.
Skinny Wench 1.png