Others QSP Making a new game engine

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Yes I definitely do lack knowledge about what is possible in those engines that I have mentioned, however from what I've seen they are all mostly aimed at beginners or non-coders (thats not to say that you can't do more advanced things in them), and I have a lot of experience with programming so personally I would prefer an engine that is strongly typed, and I've also had quite a bit of experience (although still not enough) with writing custom languages, which is why I decided to make my own.
Which i commend as a nice effort and project. Just wanted to make sure the idea wasnt based on misconception about what is possible or not possible in QSP since the thread had the QSP tag. I code in c++ and other languages in my professional life and strongly believe high-level stuff isnt really a good base for a game engine as there is a different focus on what to achieve with it then a programming IDE has.

thedude2866

Apr 24, 2017
Which i commend as a nice effort and project. Just wanted to make sure the idea wasnt based on misconception about what is possible or not possible in QSP since the thread had the QSP tag. I code in c++ and other languages in my professional life and strongly believe high-level stuff isnt really a good base for a game engine as there is a different focus on what to achieve with it then a programming IDE has.
From my experience and things I've noticed it seems that a lot of high level languages aren't good for making these types of games (although C# and Unity/Godot go quite well together) because it is not what their features are aimed at, which is why I'm spending a lot of time on researching different programming concepts that I haven't used myself (as I mainly only program in C#) to see what would make a good fit and what wouldn't, and right now my plan will probably be to use LLVM to compile to webassembly.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
From my experience and things I've noticed it seems that a lot of high level languages aren't good for making these types of games (although C# and Unity/Godot go quite well together) because it is not what their features are aimed at, which is why I'm spending a lot of time on researching different programming concepts that I haven't used myself (as I mainly only program in C#) to see what would make a good fit and what wouldn't, and right now my plan will probably be to use LLVM to compile to webassembly.
Well - LLVM is basically C++ based as far as i recall - so i wish you all the best for this project.

thedude2866

Apr 24, 2017
Well - LLVM is basically C++ based as far as i recall - so i wish you all the best for this project.
Thanks, and yes it is written in C++ however there are a lot of bindings available for other languages including C#, I already have quite a few ideas and I've experimented a lot with it, I've already made a prototoype language too, so really all I need now is just some time to actually work on the project.

Reactions: animusgaming

mochongli

Nov 20, 2019
Thanks, and yes it is written in C++ however there are a lot of bindings available for other languages including C#, I already have quite a few ideas and I've experimented a lot with it, I've already made a prototoype language too, so really all I need now is just some time to actually work on the project.
hi