Ren'Py Abandoned Lovely Sails [v0.4.1B] [SnowShoes]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Fekkoff

Jul 21, 2017
Seems to be alittle bugged ?

I saved my game earlier and was going to start playing again now.
When i load my game all the relationship stats was back to 0, health and tension was back to 100/0.
Also when i try building things (i built a shelter first, then tried to build a fireplace) the shelter disapears and is replaced by the fireplace. I see theres 3 slots for buildings at top ? But cant find a way to choose slot or anything ? maybe im doing something wrong here but just adding it...
Also i can easily max all the girls relationship stats by "rewinding" and choosing the same answer over and over without loosing any AP.
But if i save a game with say 5 AP and i continue my day but do something wrong and reload my save with 5 AP i only get the remaining AP i had before i loaded my savegame.

Other then that game seems very promising and i enjoyed it so far :)

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
What does he expect from a game with two versions? In any case I'm glad the gravy train is starting to dry up maybe we'll see less of these 0.1/0.2 games ending in a couple of months.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
Seems to be alittle bugged ?

I saved my game earlier and was going to start playing again now.
When i load my game all the relationship stats was back to 0, health and tension was back to 100/0.
Also when i try building things (i built a shelter first, then tried to build a fireplace) the shelter disapears and is replaced by the fireplace. I see theres 3 slots for buildings at top ? But cant find a way to choose slot or anything ? maybe im doing something wrong here but just adding it...
Also i can easily max all the girls relationship stats by "rewinding" and choosing the same answer over and over without loosing any AP.
But if i save a game with say 5 AP and i continue my day but do something wrong and reload my save with 5 AP i only get the remaining AP i had before i loaded my savegame.

Other then that game seems very promising and i enjoyed it so far :)
Thanks for the kind words, I'll try to address your 3 points!

1. Are you using a save from an older build? I rearranged and added a ton of variables so chances of compatibility are slim unfortunately.
  2. So for the building layout, I kinda shoe-horned myself with the existing code and just ported it over for each set of structures. Basically each location can hold 1 of each tier of structures. Redo-ing everything in order to mix-and-match shouldn't be too hard, probably a full day of coding though so it's low priority for now.
  3. Lol. That's an interesting way to circumvent the system T.T...I'll have to take a look into how the stats work with rollback.

What does he expect from a game with two versions? In any case I'm glad the gravy train is starting to dry up maybe we'll see less of these 0.1/0.2 games ending in a couple of months.
If you haven't even followed my progress then why even comment? For the record, this "0.2" build wasn't just something I slapped together. I put in several 100s of hours (maybe > 1000 if you count scrapping the first game iteration) to try and do something unique. If this was a cashgrab I wouldn't have been so active with people on f95, nor would I have spent so much of my free time for 6 dollars. Christ.

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017

1. Are you using a save from an older build? I rearranged and added a ton of variables so chances of compatibility are slim unfortunately.
  2. So for the building layout, I kinda shoe-horned myself with the existing code and just ported it over for each set of structures. Basically each location can hold 1 of each tier of structures. Redo-ing everything in order to mix-and-match shouldn't be too hard, probably a full day of coding though so it's low priority for now.
  3. Lol. That's an interesting way to circumvent the system T.T...I'll have to take a look into how the stats work with rollback.

If you haven't even followed my progress then why even comment? For the record, this "0.2" build wasn't just something I slapped together. I put in several 100s of hours (maybe > 1000 if you count scrapping the first game iteration) to try and do something unique. If this was a cashgrab I wouldn't have been so active with people on f95, nor would I have spent so much of my free time for 6 dollars. Christ.
I apologize if my comments were off base in your particular circumstance but there are a million of these 0.1/0.2 games posted on this site that go nowhere and are abandoned every couple of months. It's gotten to the point where I don't even dl let alone become a patron of a game unless it's been around for awhile or is from a reputable developer (someone who created and finished games before).

Anyways I'll get off your thread I don't want to hijack it with stuff unrelated to your game. The comment was meant as an aside I never expected the Dev to respond.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
I apologize if my comments were off base in your particular circumstance but there are a million of these 0.1/0.2 games posted on this site that go nowhere and are abandoned every couple of months. It's gotten to the point where I don't even dl let alone become a patron of a game unless it's been around for awhile or is from a reputable developer (someone who created and finished games before).

Anyways I'll get off your thread I don't want to hijack it with stuff unrelated to your game. The comment was meant as an aside I never expected the Dev to respond.
The tone of the post is more of frustration, but dismissing my Patreon post (mind you I never link Dev Blogs only new builds) because of the version number is deflating.

I mean I definitely understand the sentiment. Plenty of developers go months without progress siphoning funds from hopeful supporters. I just hate being generalized as such when the point in downscaling is to not slow down content for my donors (that's just with 2). If you've checked out what's actually ingame right now, it's not like it's a straight VN with renders. I had to design gameplay elements, do my own CGs, coding, and writing...heck even most of the menus are image buttons as opposed to a straight text. The point of that post is the realization that I'm never going to be able to advertise as the game needs. Hence, the push to end it sooner.

Anyhow, I digress. My apologies for overreacting.

Reactions: UncleVT

Deckmaster

Jul 30, 2017
I ran into an exception error trying to go to the coast.

IOError: Couldn't find file 'bg/03_coastal_wreck_03.png'.

Fekkoff

Jul 21, 2017

Thanks for reply :)

1. No its the first time i seen this game, so its a fresh install from the mega link so i think it should be "ok" ;)

2. Ahh i see, i just wanted to let you know. Maybe i was doing something wrong, i tried clicking the slots before building but i couldnt seem to "move" it to other slot :)

3. I "cheat" often in games with rollback incase i get the wrong answer, i just rollback and try another so i stumbled across it by "accident" XD I may cheat but not that much... ;P But i tried it on multiple of the characters and it worked everytime. Also about everything being reset when i load the game i noticed this because before i stoped playing yesterday, i did forage and lost a bunch of health (had like 40 left), and in screenshot for savegame it showed this too. But when i loaded it everything was back to full and all relationships to 0. (had lvl 2 with 2 of the chars).

But as i said so far i really enjoyed the game, its something new and fresh compared to many of the other games being posted here these days. And i really look forward to seeing more of it :) *thumbs up*

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
I ran into an exception error trying to go to the coast.

IOError: Couldn't find file 'bg/03_coastal_wreck_03.png'.
Ahh dangit. That should be a weather-related issue (maybe a hot or rainy day?). A temporary work-around is just to avoid that area until the weather changes. Sorry about that, I rushed my checks there (9 locations, day/night state, 4 weather types = 72 locations to verify T.T).

Thanks for reply :)

1. No its the first time i seen this game, so its a fresh install from the mega link so i think it should be "ok" ;)

2. Ahh i see, i just wanted to let you know. Maybe i was doing something wrong, i tried clicking the slots before building but i couldnt seem to "move" it to other slot :)

3. I "cheat" often in games with rollback incase i get the wrong answer, i just rollback and try another so i stumbled across it by "accident" XD I may cheat but not that much... :heartcoveredeyes: But i tried it on multiple of the characters and it worked everytime. Also about everything being reset when i load the game i noticed this because before i stoped playing yesterday, i did forage and lost a bunch of health (had like 40 left), and in screenshot for savegame it showed this too. But when i loaded it everything was back to full and all relationships to 0. (had lvl 2 with 2 of the chars).

But as i said so far i really enjoyed the game, its something new and fresh compared to many of the other games being posted here these days. And i really look forward to seeing more of it :) *thumbs up*
So I did a quick google/lemmasoft search on the issue and apparently I've been using a dated way of declaring variables lol (damn tutorial!). Gonna have to redo/test it, but thanks for all the details! Makes it easier to fix.

Anyhow I'll have to a fix to both issues by next weekend (want to include some quest events for the other npcs). Thanks again for the feedback.
**Edit: On a side note, does anyone know how to do bugfixes without having to make everyone re-dl the whole game?

Reactions: Fekkoff

Ozygator

Donor
Oct 15, 2016
So a few problems with this game...

1. Your supplies decrease without using them. When I say supplies i mean things like 'metal'. I am at 8 and find 2. Next day I find one and am now at 10. WTF? Unless you craft you should NEVER use supplies like that.

2. No clear explaination or description in game on how to uuse or convert "raw food" in to rations. I am sitting at 130+ 'raw' food, and the cooked food dwindles daily, which is fine, except health decreases daily also. Once I hit zero 'rations' and health then game over, regardless of the 100+ stockpiled 'raw' food in the camp. According to the tutorial the raw food should be consumed first, even if it gives less health, until zero for everything.

Are we supposed to 'cook' the raw food into 'rations'? If so I found ZERO places in the camp to allow me to cook. Does the cookware/kitchen build thing have to be at or above a certain percent? if so, WHAT IS THE PERCENT? You, as tthe dev, MUST assume the player has zero knoweledge of the game and you need to explain, 'tutorial' every single thing in the game, and DO NOT lock key skills behind some conversation variable. Give that shit up front, even if it producxes poor results. Then and only then, maybe have conversations available (with corresponding character intros) on how to better accomplish a certain task.

Having key skills locked behind a conversation tree is frankly speaking, stupid, and keeps the player from intuitively tinkering with the game to figuure it out. Many/most of these games only have conversattions as relationship building type items, and locking key skills behind a conversation is counter-intuittive for many peoipleI would expect.

3. Where the hell are the best places to get things like 'metal'? I guuesstimated that the hills areas would be the best place since, you know, hills/mountains usually equal mines but there are zero clues I found in game to explain where to go to get certain materials.

4. What structures are required to survive? What sre 'nice' to survive but not immediately needed? What completion percentage are needed on the essential buildings to be able to survive? Are you guarenteeing the player has the materials on hand to get to the basic infrastructire needed to even play the game once the initial health bar depletes?

5. How can we see what completion percentage we are on cooking structures, water, hygene, etc? Good luck in simple clicking them to see the current percentage because it brings up the "build/do you want to build?" screen. It should display the current level the different section is at BEFORE asking if you want to build/expand/improve an area. Otherwise the player has zero method to determine what needs to build more or not, or if some method is buiried in the game it needs to be moved out to the main screen.

6. It's way too easy to 'die' in the game now, based on the above mentioned points. As a player I could give less than a damn about how many hours have been spent in game development if the game is not intuitive to play, there are zero (or minimal <5%) clues on how to work it so simple survival is a possibility. If you want to add a 'game' section then you better damn well make sure the game portion is SOLID before you add the relationship things because otherwise all you're going to do is 'kill' players before they can even do much with relationships. Or else strip out all the 'game' portions and just have a VN type thing.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
So a few problems with this game...

1. Your supplies decrease without using them. When I say supplies i mean things like 'metal'. I am at 8 and find 2. Next day I find one and am now at 10. WTF? Unless you craft you should NEVER use supplies like that.

2. No clear explaination or description in game on how to uuse or convert "raw food" in to rations. I am sitting at 130+ 'raw' food, and the cooked food dwindles daily, which is fine, except health decreases daily also. Once I hit zero 'rations' and health then game over, regardless of the 100+ stockpiled 'raw' food in the camp. According to the tutorial the raw food should be consumed first, even if it gives less health, until zero for everything.

Are we supposed to 'cook' the raw food into 'rations'? If so I found ZERO places in the camp to allow me to cook. Does the cookware/kitchen build thing have to be at or above a certain percent? if so, WHAT IS THE PERCENT? You, as tthe dev, MUST assume the player has zero knoweledge of the game and you need to explain, 'tutorial' every single thing in the game, and DO NOT lock key skills behind some conversation variable. Give that shit up front, even if it producxes poor results. Then and only then, maybe have conversations available (with corresponding character intros) on how to better accomplish a certain task.

Having key skills locked behind a conversation tree is frankly speaking, stupid, and keeps the player from intuitively tinkering with the game to figuure it out. Many/most of these games only have conversattions as relationship building type items, and locking key skills behind a conversation is counter-intuittive for many peoipleI would expect.

3. Where the hell are the best places to get things like 'metal'? I guuesstimated that the hills areas would be the best place since, you know, hills/mountains usually equal mines but there are zero clues I found in game to explain where to go to get certain materials.

4. What structures are required to survive? What sre 'nice' to survive but not immediately needed? What completion percentage are needed on the essential buildings to be able to survive? Are you guarenteeing the player has the materials on hand to get to the basic infrastructire needed to even play the game once the initial health bar depletes?

5. How can we see what completion percentage we are on cooking structures, water, hygene, etc? Good luck in simple clicking them to see the current percentage because it brings up the "build/do you want to build?" screen. It should display the current level the different section is at BEFORE asking if you want to build/expand/improve an area. Otherwise the player has zero method to determine what needs to build more or not, or if some method is buiried in the game it needs to be moved out to the main screen.

6. It's way too easy to 'die' in the game now, based on the above mentioned points. As a player I could give less than a damn about how many hours have been spent in game development if the game is not intuitive to play, there are zero (or minimal <5%) clues on how to work it so simple survival is a possibility. If you want to add a 'game' section then you better damn well make sure the game portion is SOLID before you add the relationship things because otherwise all you're going to do is 'kill' players before they can even do much with relationships. Or else strip out all the 'game' portions and just have a VN type thing.
Hey I'll try to address, everything. A lot of the gameplay elements are still undergoing changes from version to version. This build introduced a lot more bugs while trying to wrap up everything.

1. There's a error in the variable declarations. Was introduced in this build while trying to integrate it with the new Character abilities, but I should be able to resolve it in the next bugfix.
2. One of the tutorials mentions how the food resources work, but basically your 'Cook' command gets unlocked with cookware (as said in the tooltip.) and from there you can get convert raw -> fresh. As far as skills goes, it's only been available for testing in this build. They're mostly quality of life stuff to make those actions more forgiving (for example, you can take less damage from animals if you raise Hunting). 'Building' and 'Crafting' trees lock core features, but there's going to be longer ways to unlock those branches in the future. Nothing skill-related is intended to lock any necessary features.
3. There are no special areas for specific resources. That's an idea I'm floating in the future, but I'll include text notifications for when that happens. Right now (well once the bugs are fixed), you should be able to get random resources through "Search" and "Forage," and some buildings will give basic resources per turn.
4. Generally you want to unlock a 'Cookware' structure asap so you can manage your food...Also some of the structures that expand on cooking give incremental food per turn.
5. The percentages should be shown above building the actual structure. I think the tutorial you get mentions you'll have to spend AP by clicking on the icon till 100% and from their you should get an audio cue. I think I'll change the prompt to make this more apparent that you need to get them to 100% to get the effects.
6. Yeah, this is something I plan to revisit in the next build. I have some ideas like scrapping death altogether in favor of just unavailable for x days, but everything is in concept atm.

Thanks for the feedback, mostly assumed I was getting a lot of the same players so the mechanics changes seemed smaller from version to version. Gonna redo tutorials and ofc work on bugfixes...after some rest.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

While certainly not the biggest change in visible content, this was a hefty "bugfix" in terms of coding. Figuring out and designing all the tooltips was pretty tedious, integrating all the new stats was mind-numbing. You might want to check the changelog to have a better sense of everything, but alas I'm sure a good number of you will just jump w/o the lifejacket T.T.
Anyhow QoL is mostly in place (still have to make a pass through the introduction), hopefully this moves this game to be much more accessible. I didn't get much testing done, but wanted to get this out as I won't be available this weekend. Test away!

PC:

Mac:

Reactions: Snow-Shoes

TheoWolf3

Sep 19, 2017
It seems you are aware of the relationship status not getting saved bug. I also noticed that the if I reload a save from earlier in the day, my AP doesn't reset and the relationship progress didn't roll back. I think you might be saving that data too globally.

Also, not sure if this is related. I noticed the version in the thread title is 0.2.1 but it looks like I downloaded 0.2.0. Maybe you already fixed all this stuff.

Shaggster

Dec 28, 2016
It seems you are aware of the relationship status not getting saved bug. I also noticed that the if I reload a save from earlier in the day, my AP doesn't reset and the relationship progress didn't roll back. I think you might be saving that data too globally.

Also, not sure if this is related. I noticed the version in the thread title is 0.2.1 but it looks like I downloaded 0.2.0. Maybe you already fixed all this stuff.
Yeah I believe 2.1 fixed these issues. Highly suggest 2.1 > 2.0, major bug fixes

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016

Whoops, I'm sorry. I forgot to change the links along with the title. As an aside, thanks for posting your findings, Theo. Probably no way for me to account for every bug pre-release since I'm solo-playtesting so the feedback helps tremendously.

As for the variables themselves, TBH I'm actually not too sure if I'm handling them right lol. There's conflicting tutorials for different versions of Renpy and since this game isn't a VN, solo-playtesting is really hard. ATM, 0.2.1 variables are declared twice (one initially as "default" and another with Renpy notation "$" for changes), so hopefully it works.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

TheoWolf3

Sep 19, 2017
Whoops, I'm sorry. I forgot to change the links along with the title. As an aside, thanks for posting your findings, Theo. Probably no way for me to account for every bug pre-release since I'm solo-playtesting so the feedback helps tremendously.

As for the variables themselves, TBH I'm actually not too sure if I'm handling them right lol. There's conflicting tutorials for different versions of Renpy and since this game isn't a VN, solo-playtesting is really hard. ATM, 0.2.1 variables are declared twice (one initially as "default" and another with Renpy notation "$" for changes), so hopefully it works.
That fixed it! Thanks man, you were already on top of it. I do need to report an issue though. In Karen's level 2 scene when she takes you to her tent after talking to the old lady because you teased her about your reward. The tent background loads and then it throws an error trying to load Karen's image. I'm hoping it's something as easy as a bad file name, but I've no idea how to fix that locally.

And there's an issue when I try to build the fishing structure. It doesn't like loading that screen.

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes