• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others Love Inn [Development Thread]

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
1680531516517.png
All is going as planned! Let me update you:

Decided to make a small transition scene between the ryokan's village and the city, which will be used in the introduction. You know how I am by now, I make 80% progress and then hop on to another thing, so missing textures and such. I wanna make some cool pixel clouds to fill the sky.
View attachment 01.04.23.mp4

You can see a section of the intro here. Thanks to a totally planned way I make events and not total luck, I made some code so events can play at x6 speed if you hold Control, the same way you speed up dialogue, so you get:
WIP!!
View attachment 03.04.23.mp4

More scenarios:
East wing. I spend a lot of time in stupid things like the big painting here, but if I don't add details I get so bored. One of my dreams is to make a game, and people say it has "soul". So I'll work towards that.
east_wing.png
Keiko's room (the one on the left of the east wing):
keiko's_bedroom.png

This month I should finish my undergraduate thesis and maybe some other thing might come up, BUT I want to realease a demo on may, no excuses. I want to get some feedback! This week I'll work on the gameplay loop about working on the ryokan.

So, see you next week!!

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
Hello there! This past week was the Holy Week in Spain and I got into all kind of social events, so I was a bit busy.

onsen.png
WIP on the onsen. Gotta fix the illumination in exteriors at night.

I worked on the loop this week. I adapted the old system here. The gist is the same, the more you work on the inn = the mood of the residents will improve passively + improve the chance of visitors to arrive.

tasks.png
I changed a bit the task selection menu. All is coded in, with the events and the stats.

You will gain money daily based on the work you've done, plus every time a visitor stays at the ryokan you will gain some extra money. But visitors also will "degrade" more the inn. As a way of spending money, I'd like to have improvements on the ryokan so the stats can go higher.

The character's loop is similar. You do an activity with them = more relationship, which you need to trigger events. Works kind of the same in Harem Hotel for example, where you talk to a character and can choose to watch TV together or go to the beach.
The activities will be defined by the character. So the first activity of Keiko is spending time on the reception with her. Spending time with the characters will "unlock" an H scene with them of that activity. I'm open to suggestions when you get to know the characters, of what activities you would want to see.

The whole intro is written, it basically introduces the first 3 characters. I'm much happier about it that the one I had for the previous prototype. I also started rereading Great Teacher Onizuka, so some of that will inevitably drip into the game.
I'll probably work on the visitors this week, I'd like the demo to have that so you can judge it a bit and we go from there.

See ya!

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
Man this week went fast.

As I said last week, I worked on the guest system a bit more. Since you'll have to work on reception during the afternoon, it's a good place to start events and welcoming guests into the inn. So based on stats, there's a chance guests come to stay, and you must chose a bedroom for them to stay. For now the only possible guests are the adult married couple shown before, and their sex route will be cute and wholesome for once.

Been working on more events and have finally sat down to write the goals of the main characters along with planning their routes from start to finish. I had a vague idea of how to end the character's stories but now I'm set.

Here's some pixelated marital lovegiving sneak peek:
View attachment 17.04.23.mp4

I also added a small kink of mine. When a character is not in their bedroom, now you can go into it and search for underwear to jack off with, if you'd like.
naughty.png

That's all for this update! This upcoming week I'll focus on menus mainly and maybe some more events. By the 10th of may I have to send my undergraduate thesis, so after that I'll finish the main missing things and then we get the demo release. I'm quite excited, so let's keep going!

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
Another week down! I'm slowly improving my UI!!

Last week I wanted to work on menus, so here's what I've done:

So, some overview to track the characters progress. I wanted to show how many events are there in the game at every version of it, so you don't have to wonder if you have played all the content for a character or not, so we have a progress bar.

relationship_menu.gif

You'll track easily the mood of a character with a quick glimpse on the left. Shamelessly ripping off harvest moon design philosophy. Once a day, if you talk to a character, their mood will improve slightly. I don't plan to make this grindy, so no daily decrease.

I also know it's a pain in the ass wondering how to start the next event for a character in an "open world" game, so I'll try to find a good way to show that. If you need to improve your relationship, the hint will tell you something about those lines. Maybe you'll need to improve a relationship with another character first, just wait a few days, improve or decrease the mood, etc.
Also the location hint for the same reason as above. I don't want to pinpoint the exact location, but at least the hint will say if a character is in the inn or other general locations.

If you have any suggestions as to what to add, feel free to do so please!

I also worked hard on a proper save menu. I wanted to imitate how some games do a screenshot and include it in the save files. You can save anytime, anywhere. But. If you are in the middle of a conversation when saving, it WON'T load mid conversation, you'll have to start the conversation over, but you'll be loaded in the same place.

save_menu.png

If you save in the middle of an event, when you load you'll start the event from the beginning. The save file is a json, so it's really easy to modify. This is on purpose, I didn't want to encrypt the save files with the engine, that's stupid. But if you mess with the json, it may crash if you alter the code.

And finally, I did a logo and some mock-ups for the title screen. It's in the style of schoolmate and homemate by Illusion.

Title_screen.png

But today I thought of Inn Love, because of the word play my gf prefers it. So now I may have change the logo.
Do you prefer Love Inn or Inn Love?

This will be the longest (word count) dev thread ever by the time we have a demo XD This week I'll probably be too busy to do anything, so break next week :D

Sep 10, 2018
Another week down! I'm slowly improving my UI!!

Last week I wanted to work on menus, so here's what I've done:

So, some overview to track the characters progress. I wanted to show how many events are there in the game at every version of it, so you don't have to wonder if you have played all the content for a character or not, so we have a progress bar.

View attachment 2570124

You'll track easily the mood of a character with a quick glimpse on the left. Shamelessly ripping off harvest moon design philosophy. Once a day, if you talk to a character, their mood will improve slightly. I don't plan to make this grindy, so no daily decrease.

I also know it's a pain in the ass wondering how to start the next event for a character in an "open world" game, so I'll try to find a good way to show that. If you need to improve your relationship, the hint will tell you something about those lines. Maybe you'll need to improve a relationship with another character first, just wait a few days, improve or decrease the mood, etc.
Also the location hint for the same reason as above. I don't want to pinpoint the exact location, but at least the hint will say if a character is in the inn or other general locations.

If you have any suggestions as to what to add, feel free to do so please!

I also worked hard on a proper save menu. I wanted to imitate how some games do a screenshot and include it in the save files. You can save anytime, anywhere. But. If you are in the middle of a conversation when saving, it WON'T load mid conversation, you'll have to start the conversation over, but you'll be loaded in the same place.

View attachment 2570070

If you save in the middle of an event, when you load you'll start the event from the beginning. The save file is a json, so it's really easy to modify. This is on purpose, I didn't want to encrypt the save files with the engine, that's stupid. But if you mess with the json, it may crash if you alter the code.

And finally, I did a logo and some mock-ups for the title screen. It's in the style of schoolmate and homemate by Illusion.

View attachment 2570168

But today I thought of Inn Love, because of the word play my gf prefers it. So now I may have change the logo.
Do you prefer Love Inn or Inn Love?

This will be the longest (word count) dev thread ever by the time we have a demo XD This week I'll probably be too busy to do anything, so break next week :D
once again, stellar work!

now personally I prefer "Love Inn" cos of the pun on Lovin', but Inn Love is good tho I feel a little too on the nose imo.

still! so excited over all the progress ya made, dude!

Reactions: croco_nsfw

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
once again, stellar work!

now personally I prefer "Love Inn" cos of the pun on Lovin', but Inn Love is good tho I feel a little too on the nose imo.

still! so excited over all the progress ya made, dude!
Thanks Pine!! I also prefer Love Inn, it also feels slightly easier to say out loud.
It's stupid, but I feel "Love" as a first word feels heavier, better. Reference to the OG, the main inspiration for this game:
1682355546544.png

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
I'm back you beautiful bastards. I needed to rest for some days after I sent my undergrad thesis, I completely destroyed myself. After leaving this for a couple of weeks it was hard coming back, but once I opened all the programs again I felt really happy.

I don't want to show much so you can see in-game, but I've been doing sprite work and some portraits these past days.. I may spend a bit more time than necessary on some details but I can't help it, I prefer to waste some time on it and have a cuter project.
22.05.23.gif
As I said a while ago, I want to release something this month and that is still going on. It will be more of a proof of concept than anything, but I want to release something to get on the feedback loop already.

I'm not the biggest fan of discord servers, but I don't know where else to send people so I can gather feedback, so I may open one soon.
Anyway, next week, we'll have finally something tangible.

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
TOMORROW!

I made a Discord finally! Here's the server code:

Hello guys! Tomorrow I'll post the game request with the links to download, so if everything goes right we'll move on to the "Games" sub-forum!

Things won't change too much, I'll still keep working on this weekly, but you will be able to play through the progress. I still prefer small updates constantly over big ones for now. If you want a more complete experience, I recommend you wait a bit more, but you can still read the progress over Discord / Patreon. The Game sub-forum will be a bit chaotic I fear.

I've been working this past week on:
- Title screen, background painting (I only had a thumbnail), and disclaimer. When you initiate a new save, I added also a checkbox if you want to skip the intro.
- Portraits for the young married couple, added multiple variations to the ones existing plus making them more in line with the new style. Old on the left, new one on the right (cleaner, fits better with the rest of the game):

saita_3_antiguo.png saita_3.png
- A small tutorial screen.
- Multiple new icons, including the one for the game .exe.
- Fixed collisions since you could fall off the world XD
- Now you can change into a towel so you can enter the onsen, with the sprites associated with it. You can't enter the onsen fully clothed obv. It's missing portraits for talking with the girls on the onsen, but I didn't want to rush that cause I want to make them extra sexy.
- Redid multiple dialogues and added some more.

My intention is to make the world feel alive, so I'll continue adding interactions till I can't think of anything else.
Thank you all for your interest in the project, you ignite my passion. Hope to see you around, let's keep making this!

progress_29-05-23.png

ekyo

May 22, 2020
Hi croco_nsfw, i really enjoyed your game, and start reading this thread.
What can i say : art is lovely, the inn atmosphere is great, the execution speed is nice (run smoothly on a small baytrail netbook on linux). Journey is too short obviously, i'm looking for an update ;)

Have you considered sharing some of your project, no assets or anything like that, nothing critical, i mean for those like me who want to try godot ?
Would you recommand me any tutorial ?

Wish you and your game the best, thanks

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
Hi croco_nsfw, i really enjoyed your game, and start reading this thread.
What can i say : art is lovely, the inn atmosphere is great, the execution speed is nice (run smoothly on a small baytrail netbook on linux). Journey is too short obviously, i'm looking for an update ;)

Have you considered sharing some of your project, no assets or anything like that, nothing critical, i mean for those like me who want to try godot ?
Would you recommand me any tutorial ?

Wish you and your game the best, thanks
Hello! Thanks a lot for the comment :giggle:

About learning Godot I totally understand how you feel. But the problem is that the game's scripts are so connected to each other, that you would spend more time confused and wondering why the hell do I do something, than learning (also I code 80% spanish 20% english :ROFLMAO:). The dialogue system connects for example to each individual character script (each has at least two scripts), and then from there to other things. So it's really like a web of scripts, so in isolation it would be very hard to understand.

If I die any time soon, I told a friend to make this open source.

I don't know how much you know, but if you are a total novice I recommend a lot the youtuber HeartBeast ( ). He has a couple of series where he starts a game (I learnt a lot with the RPG one) so you can follow along. Once you know the basic functions, I felt the same way, wanting to see a game structure instead of tutorials, so I found this open source copy of Harvest Moon in Godot ( ), which helped a lot.

If you have any questions for how to do this or that in the game, I would gladly answer!!

Reactions: ekyo

ekyo

May 22, 2020
Thanks a lot for your response croco_nsfw, and for the resources you advise, sure they will help me a lot.
I'm a total novice in godot, always had a far looking on it, but never tried. I'm an old sysadmin, so i'm not really a coder, but i code when i want something, mainly in c, python.
I'm studying for now.
And thanks for considering making your game open source, one day, that's the spirit ;)

Have a nice day

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
Thanks a lot for your response croco_nsfw, and for the resources you advise, sure they will help me a lot.
I'm a total novice in godot, always had a far looking on it, but never tried. I'm an old sysadmin, so i'm not really a coder, but i code when i want something, mainly in c, python.
I'm studying for now.
And thanks for considering making your game open source, one day, that's the spirit ;)

Have a nice day
Then you won't have any problems. I didn't know how to code anything 3 years ago, so you having some previous experience will help a lot!
And yeah, the docs are a great, but usually I need some kind of stimulation so I usually rush to get to the interesting bits (basic AI, movement, systems) haha. Experimenting with things that interest you helps a lot.

Hope you have a great day and enjoy a lot learning Godot! (y)(y)

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
This polite interaction is very wholesome. Sometimes I wonder why all interactions can't be as nice as this one. Good luck with learning how to code, i also started my coding journey recently. I still have much to learn, but you will feel great after the struggle to code something. I will look into Godot to, since Unity sucks and RenPy is not flexible enough if I want to make a game with game mechanics. Or you have to do hacky things, which I don't like.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
First spotted you on Reddit last night (or earlier today idk) and I just had to pop the name into the search here to see if you had a thread, and here it is. This looks great.

The N64 look of the early stuff in the thread is pretty cool but I'm a total sucker for 2.5D and specifically the 2D characters in 3D environments variety of 2.5D. I don't know why. Probably nostalgia.
I've been itching to get into the same sort of area of nsfw game dev for a while now but work has been killing me so it hasn't really gone anywhere yet, so I'm excited to keep an eye on this journey and live vicariously through you.

• Red Heart

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
First spotted you on Reddit last night (or earlier today idk) and I just had to pop the name into the search here to see if you had a thread, and here it is. This looks great.

The N64 look of the early stuff in the thread is pretty cool but I'm a total sucker for 2.5D and specifically the 2D characters in 3D environments variety of 2.5D. I don't know why. Probably nostalgia.
I've been itching to get into the same sort of area of nsfw game dev for a while now but work has been killing me so it hasn't really gone anywhere yet, so I'm excited to keep an eye on this journey and live vicariously through you.
Haha thank you for being interested in this! Soon it's going to be a year since I opened the this thread, and I certainly didn't expect people interested in the development side after so long haha.

And I agree with you, I wasn't fully satisfied with the first concept of the game so I'm really happy I changed and started almost from scratch.
Gamedev sure takes a hell lot of time, and at some points it hasn't been easy, but I feel it's very rewarding. I'm glad you can find some comfort in the project!

LeFapman

Oct 29, 2018
Wow this game looks stunishing, how come I haven't seen this game before. The MC is a punk-looking guy from early 90s of Japan, I just love all about it! Really crazy how it plays as a game as well, watching the characters doing the act inside a room where you watch them in 3rd person is... Goodo! From what I could see it started as a low-poly artstyle and changed for pixel art.

In my opnion, with all the respect to low-poly fans, Pixel Art version made this game look so much better! With how you can fit characters into the environment, it comes natural, has a harmony to this art and in the end to my eyes it looks better. I love this, can't support you now because poor and all, going through college with saved up money, but I wish you can keep going with this! It's an amazing project. ❤

• Red Heart

croco_nsfw

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2022
Wow this game looks stunishing, how come I haven't seen this game before. The MC is a punk-looking guy from early 90s of Japan, I just love all about it! Really crazy how it plays as a game as well, watching the characters doing the act inside a room where you watch them in 3rd person is... Goodo! From what I could see it started as a low-poly artstyle and changed for pixel art.

In my opnion, with all the respect to low-poly fans, Pixel Art version made this game look so much better! With how you can fit characters into the environment, it comes natural, has a harmony to this art and in the end to my eyes it looks better. I love this, can't support you now because poor and all, going through college with saved up money, but I wish you can keep going with this! It's an amazing project. ❤
Haha hey! I'm glad you found it! And thank you, I agree, it's better now! It never clicked for me, and after feeling demotivated I started working on this new version as a "side thing". And now it's the official one :ROFLMAO: Took a long while to find its own identity, but now working on it is amazing, can't stop.

And I totally understand dude, was on the same situation not too long ago. Hope college goes well!! Only thing I can say is "tell your friends", but I guess that's not the best advice for porn games haha
Thank you for the kind words!

• Red Heart
Reactions: LeFapman