VN - Ren'Py - Love by the Water [v.0.2] [CURE]

1. 5.00 star(s)

squishyslush1

This is a quick review, just so this game gets more attention and patrons, because I cant afford it. This game gas so much goddamn potential its extraordinary, and that's simply because of the clear amount of love and dedication put into all the aspects of the game.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Giggling Raven

Renders are very poor quality, making some characters look extremely weird. Some girls have a very large face that remind me of Quagmire from Family Guy, but even excluding that, the overall quality isn't very good. The facial expressions and camera angles in the very beginning also don't do the game any favors.

The writing of most characters isn't for me. The way some girls jump to grabbing MC's dick out of nowhere with very little or practically no interaction and the way to rejecting them is by getting interrupted by a third party doesn't feel right. And saying to a girl she looks cute immediately leading to a footjob while in club in front of others (hidden by a table) was very weird, just like stopping her when she's about to start not even leading to a conversation after about what the fuck she was about to do out of nowhere. Also at least there's the option to wake up before anything happens but being raped while sleeping and what leads to it didn't look very good. I just feel like rushing so much to show a few sex scenes like this damages the story and the characters.

The humor isn't bad even though a bit exaggerated at times, but I like it for the most part.

Overall I wasn't a big fan and stopped after two hours or so because I guess this game just isn't for me. Maybe I'll give it another try later and see if it improves but at least up until where I stopped, I wasn't a very big fan.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

PhantomRem

Review For Love by the Water (v.0.2)
    Love by the Water is honestly an amazing game and severely underrated in my opinion. I've heard a few people mention it, so I decided to give it a shot, and boy, do I regret not discovering this gem sooner.
    Wake, in my opinion, is one of the best protagonists in the world of adult visual novels. He genuinely feels like a real person, and following his journey has been an absolute blast! I love how he starts off as a socially awkward newcomer with hardly any connections, and now he's venturing out of his comfort zone to explore his hometown and embrace life. The setup is fantastic, and we really get to experience his emotions and the new things he encounters.
    Wake is someone I could easily hang out with, and that's what makes him such a great character. It's also amusing how his social awkwardness comes into play during his interactions with the new girls he meets. He's clearly nervous and tries to act a certain way based on what he's read in books, and some of his one-liners are genuinely hilarious.
    Additionally, I adore his character design. Most visual novels lack creativity when it comes to their main characters, but this developer has made sure to give Wake a memorable and genuinely attractive appearance. Kudos for that!
    The story, so far, is pretty decent, although it hasn't gotten too serious yet. However, there's a lot of foreshadowing and intriguing events are already being set up for the future.
    The girls in the game are quite unique, and I mean it. They come in different shapes and sizes, and while some may look a bit odd from certain angles, their personalities are fantastic. They do follow some classic cliché stereotypes, but they also bring something new to the table.
    My current favorite girl is Abby; she's a fantastic character, and I'm thrilled that she appears frequently.
    As of now, the game only has a few sex scenes, but they're all pretty good, and they seem to improve as the story progresses.
    Now let's talk about the best part of the game in my opinion - the humor. It genuinely had me laughing quite a bit, and I really appreciate how seamlessly it blends into the world. Initially, it was a bit lacking in some areas, but it improves as the game progresses and becomes an integral part of its identity. I can't imagine the game without it.
    The only thing I didn't like about the game is how short it currently is. I understand that the game hasn't been out for long, and I wish I had discovered it later when there's more content available.
    After playing through the current build, the ending feels abrupt(DAMN CLIFFHANGERS), and I was disappointed that there wasn't more story to explore.
    Nonetheless, this is still a fantastic game, and I already can't wait to continue playing. Though I'll probably wait for a few more updates so I have more content to digest. Until then, I hope the developer keeps delivering and doesn't abandon the project.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

GoblinLover01

Ok, this took me a while to finish because I have the attention span of a goldfish. Love by the water starts off with a "hehe I'm so good at everything and everyone loves me" protagonist, but by the end of this build we get characters that don't love the MC within 5 seconds and even one that had a hidden ulterior motive....

The character models might seem weird but they grow on you because of the dumptruck, and the characters themselves might seem flat, but some have unexpected traits like the bald, menacing, goth girl being sweeter than sugar or the mean girl being shy, or the quiet book nerd wearing see-through underwear in school, similar to her sister she never talked to that we thought she was the complete opposite of (more on this?).

I never play through these types of games for the story, but this was a rare exception. There's like 4 different best girls for me.

Tldr: Mallory best girl
  5. 5.00 star(s)

roastbrewdriprepeat

Conclusion up front:
    "Reeks of charm" is completely accurate. Clearly a ton of thought and time went into this. Great start, especially from a new dev, but maybe wait one or two updates if you want a more fleshed-out playthrough. 4/5 as is, but gets a bonus star for having so much potential.

The story is mostly setup at this point, but has plenty of foreshadowing to give an idea of what's to come in future updates. The exposition is very much "show don't tell" and leaves plenty of time to start developing the characters and relationships.

The plot is your standard "overpowered MC that everyone drools over" premise but done in a way that feels original enough to stand out from the crowd. The protagonist has a memorable design and an actual personality, and for once they don't look so generic/bland that the entire premise falls apart. The other characters have a good amount of variety in their designs and personalities, and every relationship can be kept platonic so you can pick the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't.

Really looking forward to the next update, and hopefully a new wave of long-haired twink protagonists in other games once this picks up steam (other devs please take note I'm begging you)
  6. 3.00 star(s)

humanjelloman

There is nothing truly bad or great with this game it's simply mediocre in almost all facets. The render quality is probably a 5/10 , the writing quality is a 4/10 for me because of how over the top it is, and LI's are probably a 5/10 for me as well since they all look a little wonky.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Mommysbuttslut

This game absolutely reeks of charm.
    The cast has a very diverse set of personalities and looks. Characters all feel unique, and their personalities feel very consistent. The MC is extremely likeable, the humor is on point and the girls are all lovely. This game immediately stands out as a special one and it's very much worth keeping an eye on.
  8. 2.00 star(s)

douma1302

This review is based on v0.1
    Please keep in mind that this review does have some bias according to my taste in games

Writing 2/5:
    MC is son of a mermaid (probably?) according to game play. He is really naive and socially weird. Personally i don't like this type at all, naive boys that get the plot to carry them. At least the flirty part is compensating his character?
    The humor is killing this game, too much, too cringy for me. It making me just want to click and press space as fast as i can to skip it. I can't take the story seriously with humor at all. Tbh, i've never seen any good game that have humor in it, maybe that is just me? idk.

Renders and art 2/5: Mediocre at best.
    Seriously what's wrong with all the figures, why does people body shape looks so weird. When the mc wear cloth, it looks like the whole torso, arms, upper body parts smaller than the whole lower body.
    And why some girl face look so fat? They look like an obese person face with normal body.
    These type of render hardly draw out the attractive looking of the characters.
    This, with the overly exaggerating humour just completely shut off my boner.

Overall, this game at best is mediocre according to my standard.
    Keep in mind that this is a review for v0.1. There maybe improvement in the future.
  9. 3.00 star(s)

WhateverDudez

Way overrated at this time. The models aren't very good. The story is okay with it being quirky. He is so socially awkward that it actually makes sense the way he acts. Maybe it will get better with time.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Elasstommer

If the future development of this game continues to be as excellent as this, I'll be waiting impatiently for every update. I am a person who wants to meet engaging, interesting, and quirky characters in a game with an MC who isn't a creep, but who has emotionally satisfying relationships with the women he comes across, not to mention interesting and arousing sexual interactions. This game has all of that and more. I'm already impatiently waiting for the next update -- if I was in a position to donate money to the team, I'd be doing it.
  11. 4.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for v.0.1

Love by the Water has a bit of an interesting duality going on. On one side, the game is shaping up to be a sort of quirky and cushiony harem game that doesn't really take itself seriously. Lots of comedic moments, an MC who most love very quickly, a bit fuckfesty, you get the idea. If you enjoy games like that, this seems like a fun one.

But the other side gets a little deeper, where those horror and mystery inspirations come into play. There were some surprisingly dark moments in this that caught me off guard, and the story feels a bit fresh with those urban fantasy elements mixed in (such as being part mermaid). Hard to go into detail since it's so early, but it has me intrigued enough.

The comedy is going to be a very hit or miss thing to most I'd imagine. I don't care for the 4th wall stuff, but it's very easy to avoid those moments. And while I never laughed my ass off, some parts did get a chuckle out of me. There were never moments where I'd be annoyed by it either.

Something that's easy to praise is the wide range of different body types among the love interests. It's a nice bit of variety spice that's doing favors for the game. I will say though, it felt a bit hit or miss with the character models for me. I think that comes down to their faces. The game is definitely trying to make characters that stand out from the average, but I can't say I'm liking them all. That could also very well be my own personal preferences at the same time.

The renders start out a bit rough, but they have some personality and life to them that makes up a bit for it. There's also a point towards the end of this version where the quality very noticeably improves which was nice to see. I'd actually already say the earlier renders could use a sort of remaster at some point to match up. Same deal with animations. They don't exist in the first couple scenes, but there's some nice ones towards the end.

I think my only other real criticism is how fast sex scenes happen. Lewd scenes with characters we see barely see more than a minute of just don't do a lot for me personally. I like build up, so I'm hoping the game mixes that into some of the love interests as development goes.

Besides that, this was a fun first version and I enjoyed what I played. A game I will more than likely come back to when it gets some updates.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

KingBea

As a 0.1 this game shows such great potential.
    -Solid humor and dialogue
    -Great cast of characters with a range of body types
    -Story is going in an interesting direction
    -Renders and animation are a good start, but do have some room for improvement
    Definitely the kind of game that makes me want to continue sifting through new releases of games to find gems like these, excited to see where this goes.
    Probs to cureisonline for the great start!
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Almirtheone

One game with great potential, I loved the quantity of girls, I like the feeling of "Harem" it gives, so if you are willing to play a demo gmae who has a lot of potential, this is the one. Also...a bald girl? interesting