• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM Ren'Py Looking to port Lily of the Valley to Ren'Py

lisp

Dec 10, 2017
Okay so I recently decided I was going to start porting games starting with this specific one I haven't attempted something like this before so was looking for some advice as to how one would go about it. I picked up this task because I noticed some games didn't have A Ren'py version that a large portion of
people want to play.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Hey I recently decided to attempt converting games for free because some of my favourites stopped being updated for ren'py so i decided id step up and take on the task myself i have a background in coding but most the work is already done for me just a matter of extracting the images from rpa but i was wondering if the method was just as simple for script wasn't planning on making it multiple choice at the moment planning to keep things pretty straight forward for my first attempt
Ok, I understand nothing, and the total lack of punctuation do not help.

The title talk about a conversion from RPG Maker to Ren'Py, but you talk about extracting images from the RPA archive. And while talking about conversion, you also seem to exclude everything that is not purely the images.
What are you wanting to do exactly ?

And also what is the question ?
Because you (seem to) have just explained what you'll be doing, what is not a question but an affirmation.

lisp

Dec 10, 2017
I edited what i was trying to say and made it clearer so hopefully it makes more sense in context. I believe adding the images to a Ren'py port would be simple enough but was wondering how I would add the script of the game because I didn't want to rewrite everything as I thought it would be a lengthy task is there a quick way to do so.? I plan on making it a linear story without the free roam aspect.

Last edited:

dikau

Dec 16, 2019
Fetch the dialogues with this tool: while playing the game the way you wanted.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I'm not aware of the game Lily of the Valley. But looking briefly now, it's a standard RPGM game.

So you're going to need something to extract the text of the game (dikau may already have an answer for you on that one).
You're also going to need something to extract the images.

I don't immmediately know an answer for extracting images from RPGM game. But Cruncher seems to use a tool called " ".

Then you're going to need to figure out a way to replace the whole "running about from place-A to place-B" that RPGM games tend to require.

What I will also point out... you're not the first to think there should be a RenPy port of this game...

https://f95zone.to/threads/lily-of-the-valley-unofficial-renpy-remake.40358/
https://f95zone.to/threads/lily-of-the-valley-unofficial-renpy-remake-v1-7-phalzyr.46884/

Lily of the Valley is currently v1.9. Phalzyr's rewrite was for 1.7 but is listed as being on-hold.

At the very least, Phalzyr's version should give you a solid basis for how to rewrite the story and some of the solutions for things beyond just the images and text.

Last edited:

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have tried this before and it works okay, as long as there are not a lot of plug-ins. To be honest, if it were me, I would start with start with the text extractor diaku mentioned and then extract the RPGM files using and then start plugging it into Renpy.