AutoDesk Looking for Sex Animation Packs

sgt_bilko

Aug 16, 2018
Does anyone have any generic sex animation assets? Or even places/persons that sell them?
Specifically I'm looking for animations in either FBX or some non-proprietary format (i.e.. not DAZ, VAM, etc).
I can model but I'm not a great animator, I do my work in Maya/Unity and I really don't want to have to work through middleware like DAZ, VAM, etc.

I have this one already, but looking for more like it:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
from what I understand, you almost always have to work with middleware when it comes to animations, simply because they don't transfer over nicely to other rigs, unless you create a custom model based on your rig. trying to use animations often requires 'animation retargeting' which is its own skill set and workflow. I too would love animations on a standardized FBX rig that I can just place on my characters... no luck so far. Not that there isn't a lot of options, but there's no rig consistancy. I don't even bother with Daz in this regard because I think it takes some special tool/program to properly port the animation in, otherwise you are stuck using BVH file types which only have really basic information and doesn't do a great job at transfering animations. typically it never maters, there's always issues, which is why middleware like blender or maya would be used to clean up the animation after transfering it. but my experience on this is pretty limited to just my few test cases.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Daz nor Vam is proprietary per se.
You will need to retarget bones. There is no other way around far I know.
For BVH file you may want to look for older rigs.

sgt_bilko

Aug 16, 2018
Appreciate the responses.

I use a very old copy of MotionBuilder which is purpose built for retargeting with very little effort. Even at that though, Unity itself can do retargeting if a rig is properly defined for both the input animation and the final rig its going onto - and there are even more plugins that expand upon that, so I'm really not concerned about that aspect of it.

It's merely a question of 'who has good animations that I can drop in?'

JakaiD

Dec 26, 2018
If you are using Unity then have a look at uMotion (there is a free version on asset store). It is quite usefull with cleaning up, syncing, or creating new animations right inside of Unity.

Take male-on-female for example. After retargeting some random animation assets they might not be perfect and you can then use uMotion to adjust those animations. It can sync with the Unity timeline so you can for example have the female on timeline while adjusting the male animations.

sgt_bilko

Aug 16, 2018
Perfectly acceptable proposition, love it, but again.. the assignment was 'who peddles in raw animation files?'

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Over this past weekend I've been trying to work with raw animation files,
specifically,
I have my own standard character model, and I wanted to take the animations from the linked asset pack to my standard character. After two days (having had used blender for a couple of years now), I found that its not easy.

in terms of
'who peddles in raw animation files?'
the reason I bring up what I was doing was that the asset files were organized such that there is an FBX file, with a character and skeleton, and then all the animations were individual FBX files that were purely animation data. By pure animation data, i mean, the data was so raw I couldn't use it. bones were represented with a bunch of empty objects, which contained the bone's animation data, such as location and rotation. Previously I had worked with some animation retargeting software, but all of those required a 'rig' not just a bunch of empties with matching names. The issue with this was that the empties acted like individual objects, while a rig acts like one object, and all the retargeting software I had wanted a rig ie a single object. So I couldn't make use of the data. I tried constraining the rig to match each unique empty... but due to how FBX importing work, when a rig is imported you can set the bone configuration, meaning that the program rebuilds the rig from the data, the data for the rig isn't specifically given, so the import settings don't match how the 'empty' objects get imported, so I couldn't get the angles to match.

Now what I could have done is actually used Source Film Maker (aka SFM) since I believe this will handle the data correctly (and what I believed would generate the original files). Looking at the source files, the rotation issue was solved by creating a custom meta rig in unity, something I wasn't able to extract to blender. In fact a lot of helpful tools I find tend to be plug ins for unity, which is frustrating since that means I can't export the data and I don't want to change my workflow to some third party unity tool. Now changing my workflow to unity tools or to SFM is a valid decision one could make, especially if they do want to use animations/models made by others, but in my case, I want to use custom models as well as use animation techniques that I only know work in maya or blender (using shape keys to add secondary physics effect without need for control bones) that I really like. That and looking at the animations, I have my own preferred style and would rather just animate things myself than use someone else's animation/motion-capture.

JakaiD

Dec 26, 2018
Poses and anims from could be exported to use in Unity. Been a few years since I played with it so can not remember exact process but I think Blender was involved to import the mess from DAZ and finally get something useful out as FBX. I still had to do some cleanup and syncing in Unity (via uMotion) so that body parts did not poke through each other sine I can not do anims in Blender (should probably try/learn that at some point).